Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I have two fullish packs of American Spirits (regular, not lights) from before I started vaping (quit on my first day!)

I emptied out 4 cigs into a mug, covered in VG, and thinned it a bit with 96% PGA. I heated it indirectly in a pan of simmering water for a while, then let it cool, covered it and let it sit for a few days

The result was a THICK brown liquid that smelled like strong black tea, maybe some cocoa and earthy notes vaguely reminiscent of a tobacco shop. I filtered it a few times and proceeded to try it.

It tastes like the above, plus some crap :) I've used it as an add on to mixes I like, and on its own, not too good. Its not terrible, don't get me wrong, but I don't like vaping black tea!

Was it the tobacco or the extraction that went wrong? I dunno. Probably both!

Playa_hamm420

Moved On
Jun 15, 2011
michigan
Maybe it was the chemicals used to process the tobacco in your cigs...

American spirts from what i understand are all natural no additives so i wouldnt think that would be it....

Its prolly just VG dosent absorb ALL the flavors your wanting.. VG can hold only so much " Stuff " before the saturation level is at its Max.. some flavors may have been left behind or it could be there was not enuff heat to transfer flavors from 1 medium into the next..

Tona Aspsusa

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Finland
Its prolly just VG dosent absorb ALL the flavors your wanting.. VG can hold only so much " Stuff " before the saturation level is at its Max.. some flavors may have been left behind or it could be there was not enuff heat to transfer flavors from 1 medium into the next..

My first extraction was the innards of one weird cigarillo (brand "Partner", bought in Riga, Latvia, manufactured in Indonesia) in, let me see, 20ml PGA, 10 ml distilled water and 2 ml VG. It has a very mild taste, and is very nice to vape at about 18% in 50/50 PG/VG. I've also been putting in a bit of it in other liquids, and it is just *nice*. Very difficult to describe.

I too did a bit of experimenting today, and something weird happened; must update that thread.

Sweeney Todd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2012
Durham, NC USA
stvapors.com
American spirts from what i understand are all natural no additives so i wouldnt think that would be it....

I've read several articles that mention freebase nicotine levels in American Spirits are through the roof. Ammonia is used to do that.

As one of the articles mentioned, for all we know, they could use cat urine to process their tobacco, that's "natural" and would not be labeled a "chemical additive", because it's a part of the manufacturing process (talk about splitting hairs). You're basically trusting R.J. Reynolds (who owns them) to be 100% forthright and honest.

Regardless, I personally would only do extractions on loose tobacco such as pipe tobacco.

Last edited:

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
Thread title made me laugh. I don't know maybe it has something to do with the additives in the actual cigarettes. Or its needs a longer steep.

I am this close to actually trying one of the methods on this forum myself. The only tobacco juices I can stand are the house extracted so far but I imagine they are getting a cleaner base product.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
All well and good my friends, but how do you know these products are 'pure tobacco' and not drowning in additives analogous to cigs?

I doubt there is any tobacco product on the market that does not have some sort of chemicals used during processing. There is something used in everything nowadays - we live with it. But, I would bet that it is less than what is in the analogs we used to smoke...

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I guess you'd have to research...like anything else?

I guess my point was, even as a former pipe smoker, I don't straight away trust 'loose fresh tobacco' to be anymore 'clean' than marlboro crapola; though it certainly tastes leaps and bounds better

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I guess my point was, even as a former pipe smoker, I don't straight away trust 'loose fresh tobacco' to be anymore 'clean' than marlboro crapola; though it certainly tastes leaps and bounds better

Sure..just because it's advertised as 'additive free' it's still advertising ;)
Frankly as a smoker, knowingly partaking in carcinogen inducing behavior I didn't much sweat the finer points ya know? Lesser of the evils and all that. I suppose you could have it tested...somewhere (?) if it was a concern for you and you were determined to try it. I'm far from an expert ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread