• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

First impressions and few questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I finally received my 901 and 510 kits from HC today and have given both of them a crack.

Background: I am actually vaping nicotine free juices only. Why? Because I'm not actually a smoker anymore (5 years free)...:shock: I do however miss the act of smoking and not the addiction itself and thought why not give this a try. Stupid decision? Maybe... but it could be a lot worse. I'm not gonna vape 24-7 like I did when I smoked - just a casual thing and NO I know 100% this won't lead to full time smoking again cause I've got better will power than that...:p

Anyway... My first impressions and a few questions I'd like to ask...

I blew both PVs attys out and I even washed and dry burned the 510 attys before use and a few times while testing.

DSE901
I tried this first and I love this thing. Very smooth and good flavour so far - I've only been vaping the dekang watermelon so far and its been very tasty with this unit. Battery life better than I thought - I spent about 5 hours playing cards tonight and the 2 batts almost lasted the whole time + they wern't both fully charged to start with - Not bad for a first (quickish) charge IMO. The unit is light weight and I was able to cluch the flat cart of the PV in my teeth and vape away leaving my hands free to play cards. Very simple and my favourite so far.

Does anyone here have the 901?
What are your opions of it? Similar to what I have reported?

Joye 510
I don't like this at all so far. Only used it a bit but I don't like it. I've heard great things here on ECF and basically every other source of e-cig info but I couldn't see why. Yes a few puffs were ok and had good vapour but I got both inconsistency and that reported burned taste and it was present most of the time. I tried cleaning it and tryed dripping instead of using a cart and couldn't get a nice flavour out of it. The best was a puff or two but nowhere near as enjoyable as the 901. Seriously I nearly threw up and my throat and stomach are sore now from it.

Anyone else here have the same issue?
What are your opinions of this unit?
Is the burned taste thing normal?

I have read here on ECF about the burned taste issue but there are so many supposed fixes and it's difficult to draw a solid conclusion?

How can I get it to function like others have theres and to get it to not taste burned and yuk?

Being a non-smoker do you think that why I liked the 901 over the 510 is because it comes accross a little smoother while the 510 is a little harsher (to a non smoker) more like actual smoking?

PS. Health cabin are great. They threw in tons of free empty and tobacco flavoured carts (even though I dont need these) for both units. Highly recommended by me.:)

Dogsbody

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2010
Australia
Hey man, Grats!

I had the same opinion of the 510 vs 901 when I first got them, however since then the 901's performance dropped and produce very little vapour, the 510's just seemed to get better and better.
The 901 would be more non-smoker friendly as it is much smoother and flavour-some.

I still prefer the 901's, but I would definitely recommend the 510 over the 901 to anyone else. (especially new vapers)

The 901's seem to need maintaining more, probably because they don't burn as hot, but when they are new or well maintained they are awesome, massive vapour and yum flavours.

The 510 is just consistent, great vapour and TH.

I am not sure about the burn taste, it could be primer, or you could have over done the dry burn or something, I just keep washing, priming and burning until it goes.

Thanks Dogsbody....

I've been reading about some things to try with the 510 to alleviate the crappy taste. I will persist with it for a bit to see if I can get it to perform to the standard that others highly regard.

I have also noticed that that the cart may need to be modified using one of the methods described here. Because the atty runs so hot, the carts dry out faster than the juice can be wicked and this may be causing some of this bad taste.

When dripping (2-3 drops) I can only get about 3-4 good puffs before I have to redrip. Is this normal?

I have found the 510 mod that works for me and very simple to do, cut the filling about 1/2 to 3/4, fill the cart about 10 drops, put small filler in top and top up so the filler has absorbed, make sure the cart and atty are aligned properly and vape away. Good luck

yeah been playin around with it today and this is what I've been doing... Its improving and I'm starting to like the 510.

The 901 is really easy to use. Just fill up cart as it is (full filler and all) and puff away. Watermelon rocks with this. No need to worry about dry atty's or breaks between puffs.

The 510 needs a little more care. I had to blow, wash, clean and dry the atty a few times before the yuk taste went away. And the regular carts dry out way to quick (even between puffs) with the normal setup - almost unusable this way.

I used the straw + small filler plug and am able to vape for a much longer time with this and I get much more enjoyment (and much less burnt taste) out of the 510 this way. I have found that I need to allow a few seconds between puffs to allow the juice to wick down to the atty or else I get that really yuk burnt talse again.

Been vapin cherry and I think the 510 is growing on me + I scored a free batt and PCC today from a nice Whirlpool forumer who works near my work. He is upgrading to an indulgence and has no need for them.

Perpuk

Jan 10, 2010
Sydney, Australia
You know, I have not really experienced the "burnt taste" problem unless the atty goes dry.

New ones do smell a bit off and taste yuk so I followed advice to blow out a new atty, then put a few drops of glycerine on it and vape without inhaling till it seems OK. Usually dosn't take too long to get rid of any strange taste.

My attys came from Heavens Gift & Eastmall and they seem OK to me. Since I started with the 510 in January I have used 4 attys. Two of them (one from HG & one from Eastmall) only lasted 2 weeks. One of the ones I am still using has been going strong for 9 weeks, the other for 7.

One thing I have found with the 510 is that the carts have to be packed just right for the juice you are using. Original filler, blue foam plug whatever you use, if you get the right amount of packing for the juice the 510 works well. I found the straw mod helpful at first but now I find the original filler works just as well for me.

I still have a tendency to occasionally flood the atty (especially when using a new foam plug) but I now know what is going on. Burnt taste for me means not enough juice getting to the atty - either empty cart or too much filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread