Status
Not open for further replies.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I have had this in my hot little (well, pretty big actually) hands for about an hour. So these really ARE "First Impressions".

EDIT: Forgot to add (as per rules) I am not associated with Provape in any way. I'm a consumer who paid full price in the pre-order sales period. I post these First Impressions as a buyer and receive absolutely no compensation for posting MY opinions.

ProVari1.jpg

Ok, first impressions after first vape:
For a tube mod, this is the NICEST I have seen yet. It is a bit heavier (especially with the 18650 and extension) but that is CERTAINLY understandable. This thing is REALLY well machined and SOLID! If the electronics prove to be as substantial as the build (and I have every reason to think they are - I have big respect for Jimho's take on this)... :thumbs:

The display is MUCH nicer than the pics show. When first pics were posted, I emailed David asking about a different color display because red led reminded me of the early digital timex watches and a high tech device like this wants a higher tech display. David had very good reasons for the red. But I have to admit, the design execution is really much nicer than I envisioned. Additionally, for what it is worth, marine navigators use red lights for charting at night so as to not cause temporary night blindness. So, if you want to make changes in the dark, like during movies in your home theater... :headbang: I have a home digital projector and the vapor looks AWESOME in the projector stream!! I would never smoke in the house when I sucked on analogs!!

I popped a brand spanking new Joye 302 atty with a new "Stealth" adapter (posted a review of these today) and loaded up some juice. Before I connected the atty, I meter tested the atty on my Sperry DM-6400 meter (pretty accurate) at 3.1 ohms. After attaching and putting in my initial 5 drops (I always put 5 in a fresh atty after blowing out primer), I ran the ohms test on the device. Display shows 3.0 and I suspect the .1 ohms variance may be due to the 5 drops of juice sitting on the coil. I do recommend putting at least some juice on an atty if you plan to run the Ohms test right off as I did. When you run the ohms test, the device throws some current to the atty and you hear the sizzle (not great for a new and dry atty).

The button is super sweet and first Vapes are AWESOME! I started low at 4.8 (usually use 5.0 to 5.2 on these attys but I wanted to start low and work upwards).

Awesome vapor, Awesome feel, Awesome design = AWESOME DEVICE!! The menus are super easy as you just have to press the button a certain number of times to access any feature and then wait 2 seconds. You can adjust from there or wait 4 seconds and you are ready for ACTION!
We just have to memorize the number of presses for each feature and that won't take long. I think I have them all down already (but I have a head for numbers and there ARE a BUNCH of FEATURES)!! :lol:

Pu = Power Up (change volts setting upwards)
Pd = Power Down (change volts setting downwards)
Po = Power on/off
Cb = secret feature - OK. someone else let the cat out of the bag - Check Batt, tells you remaining volts in your batt.
Ao = Atomizer Ohms
Lo = Led Light on/off

Also, in Pu and Pd you can press and hold to speed scroll to your new setting.

And it also tells you when the batt is getting low with auto cut-off (another nice safety feature)

I am thinking I may have to get the smaller batt. I got the 18650 extension because I already had 3 almost brand new AW IMR 18650 batts and these obviously have more mah. The extension is really nicely designed and the threads are as nicely machined (super smooth) as the original end cap. The extension actually lets the bigger batt sit partially down inside the extension endcap as compared to the original which is flat up against the smaller 18490/500. So, the extension design is as short as it possibly can be. But, I think I prefer the shorter look and feel. True, I have much more batt life but at this scale - 1/2" looks and feels more than it sounds conceptually. I'll probably grab two of the shorter batts for at and near home use and use the 18650s if I will be out all day.

The longitudinal "groves" in the body left me thinking they looked a bit cheap in the originally posted pics. But, I have to say, they are a nice addition. They give the device better traction in the hand so there is probably less chance of dropping it.

I have a nasty habit of button pulsing. This device will break me of that because if you button pulse, you start going into the menus.

Some of my collection may start getting dusty for a while. I'd better go wrap them up for some hibernation! :smokie:

And, as we all know, this BAD BOY is BOOSTED so no batt stacking!! :banana:

Very nice job PROVAPE!!! :thumbs:
:matrix:

Last edited:

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
NebulaBrot
Thanks for the great review, and excellent photo!

I'm waiting on mine, so I loved reading your review, the ProVari sounds like a great device!

Any chance of a photo displaying the digital display? The photo you added is really excellent, so I'm hoping you can take one of the other side, that's as nice!

Again, great review! Thanks!

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
NebulaBrot
Thanks for the great review, and excellent photo!

I'm waiting on mine, so I loved reading your review, the ProVari sounds like a great device!

Any chance of a photo displaying the digital display? The photo you added is really excellent, so I'm hoping you can take one of the other side, that's as nice!

Again, great review! Thanks!
I'll give that a try tomorrow when the light is better. A flash may bounce off the "glass" of the display. I actually doubt it is "glass" but it looks like a magnified glass, certainly shows as clear as glass but does not feel like glass to the touch.

I am by no means a photographer (that pic was taken with a cheapo Casio 10mp cam on auto settings). The other possible difficulty of taking a pic of the display is you really have to be photo ready to snap because the display only stays lit a for a few seconds (but easily long enough to read it). Probably a very smart design as you don't want to be throwing away power just to show off the display.

For those who may not already know, this is a "Smart" device which uses PWM (Pulse Wave). As indicated by my OP, it has no moving parts (like potentiometer) and all settings and features are digital. There is no chance of unintentionally changing the volts settings, you can read your atty resistance, vape in stealth mode (lights off) and more. It tells you when your batt is getting low and automatically shuts itself completely off when they are too low for safe use. I really lack sufficient technical background and competent understanding to effectively describe and/or review this EXTREMELY SIGNIFICANT component so i will leave that part to the experts to explain. I can say that after a few hours of use, I am extremely happy. The hits are super smooth and consistent.

As I said above, I usually use my other VV mods set to 5.0 to 5.2 for my 3.1 Ohms 302 attys. I have been using this DEVICE all afternoon at 4.8 and enjoying my vape as much - if not more - than ever. While I cannot explain it (a bit techno-ignorant), I suspect the combination of the Boost circuit and the PWM may permit a nicer vape at a slightly lower volt setting. I do not know if that is a benefit (lower volt setting) but I never seemed satisfied with my vape on these attys at 4.8 on other VV mods. And this hits so nicely that I don't so much care why - I am just happy to be enjoying it! :)

Last edited:

RedAlert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2010
NJ
Edited OP as the cat is free in the ProVari forum. The Cb feature is to check your batt (battery meter) to see your remaining volts in the batt.

I also added that in the setting for changing your volt levels (up or down) you can press and hold for speed scroll to your new setting. :thumb:

I had a feeling the "CB" function was for that. Sounds like a REALLY nice unit. If I wasnt stuck in "bottom feeder" mode, I'd be buying one in a heartbeat

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
NebulaBrot

Well Shel, I gave it a "shot". As I said, I am no photographer. These were actually difficult to take. Perhaps a REAL photographer would know how to compensate for the difficulties. The camera sees stuff our eyes do not. It seems like the display might actually be pulsing the light (at least that is how my camera sees it). Also, the curvature and "magnification" (in quotes because I am not 100% sure it is magnifying) seems to impact the image if not seen straight on (for the camera). These apparent fluctuations are really only noticeable to the camera as the display looks great to my naked eye. I do notice some slight viewing angle issues but that is really no issue at all. In these pics, it looks like one character is brighter than the other. I do not see this AT ALL with naked eye - another aspect of what the camera sees. In one of the pics, it looks like only one character is illuminated. Again, I have not seen this with my naked eye.

I really hope one of the electronics experts jumps in here, or in another thread, and delineates the IMPORTANT components.

So here are some (not so great) display photos. the display actually looks MUCH better than this to the eye:

CIMG1878.jpg

CIMG1879.jpg

CIMG1883.jpg

CIMG1885.jpg

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Well Shel, I gave it a "shot". As I said, I am no photographer.

You are WAYYYY too hard on yourself! These look great, and just what I was hoping for!

They clearly display how the digital display looks! All changes, due to the camera, are duly noted, but the photos still look great, and based on these photos, it's apparant that viewing the display, even in daylight, should be easy!

thanks again, and enjoy vaping on your ProVari!

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
I am extremely interested in this mod but man...that's a lot of cash. Are you using the reccomended IMR High drain bats or are you just using regular lithium Ions? That is a big factor for me, I have some Lithiums that I would like to use. How many hours are you getting on the different battery sizes roughly? Thanks for the review. I look forward to hearing more about it.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I am extremely interested in this mod but man...that's a lot of cash. Are you using the reccomended IMR High drain bats or are you just using regular lithium Ions? That is a big factor for me, I have some Lithiums that I would like to use. How many hours are you getting on the different battery sizes roughly? Thanks for the review. I look forward to hearing more about it.
As for price - have you compared this to other varivolt devices? Most are close in price and do not have digital functionality with all these additional controls and safety features. And, this also has a batt meter, ohms meter, no moving parts, etc.

It's boosted? Doesn't that kill batteries?

I refer you both to the Provape Forum and the Provari thread. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/131028-provari-variable-voltage-mod.html All your questions are covered there and on the Provari website. ProVari variable voltage e-cigarette! Order today!

I am using the battery recommended by Provape and pretty much every battery knowledgeable and electronics expert posting in ECF - the AW IMR. for now, I am using the 18650 with the Provari extension and will soon have the 18490 for the original Provari endcap. The 18650 is 1600 mah and the 18490 is 1100 mah. I am no electronics expert but from what i read (from those experts) is that boosting may reduce batts life to some extent but everyone posting who has a proVari in hand says thay are all getting great batt life. I have only had mine for a day and I got all day from one batt.

Last edited:

sgtdisturbed47

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
NebulaBrot said:
I am using the battery recommended by Provape and pretty much every battery knowledgeable and electronics expert posting in ECF - the AW IMR. for now, I am using the 18650 with the Provari extension and will soon have the 18490 for the original Provari endcap. The 18650 is 1600 mah and the 18490 is 1100 mah. I am no electronics expert but from what i read (from those experts) is that boosting may reduce batts life to some extent but everyone posting who has a proVari in hand says thay are all getting great batt life. I have only had mine for a day and I got all day from one batt.

The reason I am concerned is my batteries get rather stressed out when I use a booster and a single battery vs 2 batts in series with a switching regulator. Unless, of course, you're using a battery that can handle the extra strain.

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I am extremely interested in this mod but man...that's a lot of cash.

Not trying to convice you or talk you into anything, but the way I see it is, I've been spending $6 - $9 per day (pack to pack and a half) for about 35 years now.

If I go and spend $150-200 for a mod, and it keeps me off of analogs, and gives me the same pleasure (and, in some ways, much greater pleasure) then analogs, it's well worth it!

I have been interested in variable voltage mods since I heard about them. What really kept ME from purchasing one, is I didn't want to have to carry around an eyeglass screw driver, or have to hook it up to my P.C. or to a meter... I wanted it simple to use, with NO additional equipmt required!

Currently using an Ali'i, and I love it! However, I didn't get the vv version. The vv version alone would have added an additional $35 to the device! So... spending $150 (I already have the 18650's ProVape recommends, which I purchased for the Ali'i, plus a charger that'll work on the shorter batteries for the ProVari) was a no-brainer.

There certainly are less expensive flashlight type mods... even vv. However, this one really looks like one of the top, if not THE top vv pipe mod out right now! The digital display, safety features, battery level reading, ohm reading of your attys... really amazing set of features!

Good luck!

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
The reason I am concerned is my batteries get rather stressed out when I use a booster and a single battery vs 2 batts in series with a switching regulator. Unless, of course, you're using a battery that can handle the extra strain.
There is considerable discussion about this issue in the ProVari thread linked above. IMR batts are the batts the manufacturer recommends for best performance. As for boosted over the inherent risks of stacking - the EXPERT opinions I have read all point to boosted as safer. If you want the technical details, and a full list of all the safety features this device offers, I suggest you read the web site for the device (also linked above - and the FAQs page with battery charts, etc) and also read thru the ProVari thread. There are several electronics EXPERTS who provide technical details and explanations about ALL this device does (both user controllable and inbuilt safety features - many), battery comparison discussions and more. Those experts, and of course the device manufacturer - Provape - are really the best people to be asking your questions. I have no electronics qualifications and pretty much everything you may want to know has already been addressed in detail in the main thread. This is just a cursory "First Impressions" thread. As the devices get into the hands of more ECF members, I am sure you will see many more detailed and technical discussions.

Happy :vapor:

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I am intrested in the catch cup design on this mod at the atomizer threads. Does it suck leaked juice back up into the atty or does it drop in a basin below the airholes? Does it suck all the juice back up or is there a drop or 3 below the connection?

CB (vnv), this too is discussed in the main ProVari thread over in the Provape subforum (linked above). I believe they show photos and explain that is it not designed to have excess juice suck up thru the bottom of an atty (and of course which atty you use would also play a role - if the trough were designed so). The trough is wider than many I have seen and easily cleanable. I have probably vaped about 5ml in mine, using 302 atty and dripping 4 drops per round. Not a single drop has reached the trough - still fresh and clean. But, this is not really a function of the device - more the atty and my dripping/vaping style.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Thank you very much for this awesome review.

I have a the Provape v2, and I LOVE it! The thing is as the months tick by and I get more into vaping, I'm wondering if 5v vaping might not be better than 3.7v. I've never tried anything other than 3.7v so I have some questions.

1. Does 5v vaping give you a much better hit?
2. Can you get all the advantages of higher voltage on the smaller battery pack, or do you need the extension?

Jimi Mack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Long Island
Thank you very much for this awesome review.

I have a the Provape v2, and I LOVE it! The thing is as the months tick by and I get more into vaping, I'm wondering if 5v vaping might not be better than 3.7v. I've never tried anything other than 3.7v so I have some questions.

1. Does 5v vaping give you a much better hit?
2. Can you get all the advantages of higher voltage on the smaller battery pack, or do you need the extension?

If you want to give 5V a try before buying a unit? Try getting some LR Atties or Carto's. They will give you a close idea to what 5V may be like for you before you invest in a 5V PV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread