First Impressions of VAMO vs. Provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewill45

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
Have had a Provari for a year now and just received my VAMO yesterday. First of all let me say I didn't get the VAMO because of dissatisfaction with the Provari. The Provari is a solid performer and hasn't given me any problems at all. But as most of us know anything mechanical will eventually need service and I didn't want to be left hanging so I got the VAMO as a backup. I was also interested in the variable wattage capability of the VAMO as well.

I was excited to get the VAMO, again not because of any complaints with the Provari, but because I'm a guy and it was a new electronic toy. I made my way to the mailbox for the second time that morning and the mailman had just arrived. I walked around the parking lot of my apartment complex three times waiting for him to finally get finished and eagerly proceeded to my box and pulled out that little manila envelope that contained my prize. Back to my apartment and the unveiling. I opened the package and pulled out the box with the VAMO inside. Opened the box and was pleased to see that it arrived inside a protective felt bag with a draw-string top. Taking it out of that I was a bit set back by its size, length wise that is. It comes with all parts attached which allows the use of the included 18650 battery. I took off the extender and used an 18350 that I had instead. That gave it a more pleasing look and it felt good in my not oversized hand.

I went to my computer and called up the instructions on how to use it and went about learning how to set the mode, watts or volts, of which I chose watts and the RMS setting of that. Not really as complicated as it may sound and once you get it in the watts setting it is a simple matter of the plus or minus button to raise or lower your power. That was a welcomed change to the Provari which requires pushing its single button five times to get it in the raise power mode or seven times to get it in the reduce power mode. I also found that to check my battery I can hold the minus button three seconds or to check ohms I can hold the plus button three seconds. This is also a bit more convenient that the Provari which requires hitting the single button eleven times to check the battery or thirteen times to check the ohms. I still have a lot to learn about the VAMO but do find the additional buttons to provide greater flexibility with much quicker changes and checks than the Provari.

As for the aesthetics the Provari is a winner hands down. I have never had to wipe a finger print from it as they don't show. That is certainly not true of the VAMO which looks like I've been using it for weeks after just a short vaping session. The Provari looks and feels and no doubt is much sturdier than the VAMO. It just gives the feeling of being much better put together and more durable than the VAMO. Also the Provari is about 3/4 inch shorter than the VAMO which makes it feel better in hand. The VAMO with the 18650 battery in it could double as a night club though I doubt it would bear up under such usage because of its perceived inferior construction.

I read the post that is on this site somewhere where someone put both on a meter and showed that the Provari deliveries power to the atty in a much smoother flow than does the VAMO. I was impressed but to be honest I haven't noticed any difference in what they deliver from a practical standpoint. They both deliver a great vape and with the ability on each to adjust the power to the atty you can find your sweet spot using either.

I've droned long enough so I'll get to my conclusions. If I had it to do all over again I'd still get the Provari. I appreciate a piece of equipment that is solidly built and gives me the confidence that it will last over the long haul. I'm happy though to have the VAMO as a backup and will enjoy using it from time to time. It will be interesting to see if it holds up especially since I have read some posts that indicate otherwise.

Should the VAMO come out as a unit with the Provari's reputation of quality this review might have a very different conclusion.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
That was a welcomed change to the Provari which requires pushing its single button five times to get it in the raise power mode or seven times to get it in the reduce power mode. I also found that to check my battery I can hit the minus button three times or to check ohms I can hit the plus button three times. This is also a bit more convenient that the Provari which requires hitting the single button eleven times to check the battery or thirteen times to check the ohms. I still have a lot to learn about the VAMO but do find the additional buttons to provide greater flexibility with much quicker changes and checks than the Provari.

I am getting a Provari for my one year anniversary of quitting May 29th. The issue is I have a Vamo and an eVic, both of which have very easy and simple menus. I think that exact sequence you describe will bother me a great deal.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
First, congrats on your new backup! Good second choice.
Second, take everything with a grain of salt. Vamo does not cost much and that should be taken into value consideration. People constantly abuse their gear and come running in here screaming about how cheap and junky it is.

Nice thing is, when you don't want to risk your Provari - like going to crowded events, you now have a choice.

Enjoy both:)

mikewill45

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
I am getting a Provari for my one year anniversary of quitting May 29th. The issue is I have a Vamo and an eVic, both of which have very easy and simple menus. I think that exact sequence you describe will bother me a great deal.

If you mean the sequence on the Provari it is actually quite simple it's just that it takes longer than on the VAMO. Also on the Provari, something I didn't mention, is that its button doesn't have a "click" sound to it. I do like that as it doesn't draw attention to me every time I take a vape. Also the button action is very smooth.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo

I didn't realize it took so many button presses on the Provari either. I check my battery level fairly often on my VAMO, one button press instead of 11. I also change my power settings quite a bit too. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but would find it annoying at first. I guess I'd like something with the durability and quality of a Provari and the brilliantly simple controls of the VAMO.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

mikewill45

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
I didn't realize it took so many button presses on the Provari either. I check my battery level fairly often on my VAMO, one button press instead of 11. I also change my power settings quite a bit too. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but would find it annoying at first. I guess I'd like something with the durability and quality of a Provari and the brilliantly simple controls of the VAMO.

Yeah. Looking forward to the day Provari comes out with a variable volt/variable watt device with a three button setup like the VAMO. Of course I realize that may be a wait that never ends.

noi_max

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
Portland OR
I'm thinking of getting a Provari. Currently own the Vamo. I realized early on that with just one button the Provari's functions would require more patience on my part, however I usually have it set to one voltage and the Provari will remember settings between battery swaps.
I run in voltage mode on the Vamo, and have to set it every time I swap the battery. Plus the extra buttons get pushed by accident too easily when I'm handling it... fumbling to find the fire button.

I think it's been about 3 months or so with the Vamo, and I noticed that the "chrome" finish is starting to wear off somewhat. If I remember right it's just plated brass. Definitely not as refined as the Provari, in either construction or finish.

But.. the Vamo works as advertised, and was a good upgrade to my eGo style stick batteries.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
..............I run in voltage mode on the Vamo, and have to set it every time I swap the battery. Plus the extra buttons get pushed by accident too easily when I'm handling it... fumbling to find the fire button.........

I would guess you are one of the few that do this. The variable wattage mode provides some definite advantages depending on how you vape. Glad it is working well for you, however.

veypBOL

Mar 19, 2013
California

I started off with the eVic and I too was worried about the menu. I quickly forgot about it after several vaping session. Just so smooth. I don't have a Vamo so can't compare but I am thinking about getting a used Provari or a new silver one.

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
I don't know why anyone would buy Provary these days. It doesn't even have variable Watts. For less money there are far better mods out there and just as reliable. Provary was good back in the day of 3.7V EGOs but today? Not a chance.

While your opinion about wattage is valid to some (watts vs volts doesn't matter to me), your comment about reliability is unfounded. None of the variable power PV's out are as tried and true as a provari. They can't be because they haven't been out as long. When the majority of zmax or evic owners have been using the same unit for over two years without replacing it then we can talk about comparable build quality and reliability.

Last edited:

Dannyboy5691

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Hamburg, NY
I don't know why anyone would buy Provary these days. It doesn't even have variable Watts. For less money there are far better mods out there and just as reliable. Provary was good back in the day of 3.7V EGOs but today? Not a chance.

I would respectfully suggest, that you read the the threads concerning the reliability of Vamos, Sigelei's etcetera before you compare their reliability to a Provari's. There really is no comparison. Provari wins all day. :)

hueyduey

Verified Member
May 22, 2013
CA, USA
I owned both. Comparing technical features the VAMO comes out ahead. But quality of craftsmanship the Provari wins hands down. Both are great mods, but the Provari's craftsmanship, reliability, and domestic product support is hard to justify the technical bells and whisltes of the VAMO.

Not everyone has cash to buy a Provari. And VAMOs are far from being junk. Both will get you vaping. It really comes down to budget and personal preference. BTW I sold the VAMO so I could add a mech to my collection. But I do have an EGO as the last resort.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Having used both the single button design of the Provari and the three button design of a Smoktech V-V Gripper and an Ovale V-8, I find that I can easily adjust between the two different designs depending upon the device being used.

Do I prefer one button design over the other? No. Although I often change voltage with each flavor that I use (and I may change 3 - 4 times a day on a whim), the Provari's voltage mode is at the beginning of the option list and takes only 5 quick taps (what, one second?) to enter it. It's second nature to me and I don't even need to count.

On the other two mods, I occassionally press one of the voltage select buttons by accident just by holding the device in my hand. So both button designs have their pros and cons.

Last edited:

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Although I often change voltage with each flavor that I use (and I may change 3 - 4 times a day on a whim), the Provari's voltage mode is at the beginning of the option list and takes only 5 quick taps (what, one second?) to enter it. It's second nature to me and I don't even need to count.

On the other two mods, I occassionally press one of the voltage select buttons by accident just by holding the device in my hand. So both button designs have their pros and cons.

It takes one tap to up the voltage on my Vamo. I change voltage many times a day. As I say, the speed of the Vamo is important to me (I hate unneccessary clicks as much in vaping as I do in computing). One day a mod will appear with the speed and extended feature set of the Vamo and the durability of the Provari. This is a device that I will want to own. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread