First juice order: Anything I need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Good day guys,

So i've been using some bottom shelf juices the past 2 weeks.

I just went ahead an made an order with MTbaker. Is their anything I should take into consideration with my first juice order.

I going for PG 20% VG 80% with NO nicotine
I want the cloud but I want taste as well..

Can anyone explain on of the options they have.
When selecting your juice they seem to have an option for extra flavoring.
Now when going 20/80 does that change when adding the extra flavoring to something like 25/75 or something? How does this work?

I plan to steep the juices for an addition 3 days or so once I receive them, I figure that should put it at about a week.

Steeping - Putting juices in a dark cool location and maybe shacking them once a day. ( I don't want to go all crazy on this but would like to get as much flavor as possible )

Any comments / suggestions / tips are always appreciated and welcomed and even encouraged.

Thanks..

My current order
==============
Berry Creamy E juice Baker Vapor
(Nicotine Strength: 0 mg/ml, Blend: PG 20% VG 80%, Bottle Size: 15 ml, Extra Flavoring Shot (.50 8oz, .25 under 8oz): 0)
Blunt Needle Tip for dropper bottles | Blunt Needle bottle Adapter
MISC00015
Build Your Own E Juice
(Name Your Flavor: StrawberryCheeseCake, Nicotine Strength: 0 mg/ml, Blend: PG 20% VG 80%, Bottle Size: 15 ml, Extra Flavoring Shot (.50 8oz, .25 under 8oz): 0, Flavor 1*: Strawberry, Flavor 2*: Cheesecake, Flavor 3*: None, Flavor 4*: None, Flavor 5*: None, "Parts" Flavor 1*: 3, "Parts" Flavor 2*: 3, "Parts" Flavor 3: N/A, "Parts" Flavor 4: N/A, "Parts" Flavor 5: N/A, When ordering extra flavor please tell us which flavor you want as extra: noter sure what to put here)
buildyourownejuice1
Hazelnut Coffee E Juice Baker Vapor
(Nicotine Strength: 0 mg/ml, Blend: PG 20% VG 80%, Bottle Size: 15 ml, Extra Flavoring Shot (.50 8oz, .25 under 8oz): 0)
Unflavored E Juice
(Blend: Max VG%, Bottle Size: 236ml (8oz.), Nicotine Strength: 0 mg/ml)

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
With MBV you are going to have the let the juice breath for about 8-12 hours and then let it steep. Extra flavoring might be needed with some flavors, but I recommend trying it with none or maybe one before you decide add more on your next order.

Thank you for that, Exactly what I need to know being new to this.

This maybe basic but does adding extra flavor change the PG/VG ratio? i.e.. is flavor PG?

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
sounds like a good start, I'm of the fruity custardy/creamy loving ilk. and you went 15ml to start to see if you like it, good. What Despraci said, and watch a YouTube or read here about steeping. Those need it, they're really perfumey when you get them straight out of the box. I got a razzleberry one with Icecream I'm still steeping a month later ..it's 'bout ready. :) (and much better with a custard one I keep 'round for fixin' funky juices. *lol*

good luck and vape on!!!

Ed Kindred

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, Texas, United States
I would suggest a sample pack order & mix it up. Your taste will continually change for a while. I've paid for a couple large bottles of juice that I can't stand any more. I prefer to buy juice at my local B&M where I can taste before I buy. Even then, buying a large quanity can be an error. Sample packs let you mix up PG/VG levels, nic levels & flavors so if you get one you just can't stand it didn't break the bank. JMHO

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I would suggest a sample pack order & mix it up. Your taste will continually change for a while. I've paid for a couple large bottles of juice that I can't stand any more. I prefer to buy juice at my local B&M where I can taste before I buy. Even then, buying a large quanity can be an error. Sample packs let you mix up PG/VG levels, nic levels & flavors so if you get one you just can't stand it didn't break the bank. JMHO

I totally here you, their are a lot of local B&M's out here. 15ml seems to be the smallest option with MBV, Just figured I need to order and get somethings moving if I need to steep them..

OK guys another question..

Is their an expression date on juices?
I mean were steeping some for a month at a time. Is their a point when they start testing bad. Also take in effect i'm using 0% nicotine
Anything over a years should get thrown away?

Zackattack

Aug 19, 2014
NY
I use MBV most of the time I am in love with the hawk sauce. You will notice the juice change color when it starts to turn. If your buying in bulk or many different flavors toss the ones not being used in the fridge it seems to keep it fresh longer. Be careful also with some flavors depending on what your using to vape ie plastic tanks can get damaged to some flavors MBV has the disclaimer on that also to let you know if the particular juice will damage plastic tanks.

dmetzcher

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
California, USA
Mt. Baker Vapor's instructions for steeping:

We recommend 2-4 weeks of steeping (minimum) for the juice to develop the flavor properly (Tobacco may require 4-6 weeks). Just set the juice out of direct sunlight, shake is once or twice a day during steep time, and you’re good to go. There’s nothing wrong with vaping right away, but you won’t get the best experience unless you steep.

Having said that, I did the following, and it seemed to work well (note that I did not order any tobacco flavors, but I did order about 20 others recently).

1. I put all the bottles in a ziplock bag and submerged it in hot tap water for a few hours. I refreshed the water once. This speeds the mixing.
  2. I shook them every few days. I should have done it more than that (once or twice a day), but I simply forgot.
  3. I started using them after about a week. I know I probably should have let them steep for two weeks, and I did that for most of them, but I used one after only a week and it was great.
  4. I did not let them breath, although this was because I was not sure -- at the time -- if it was really necessary. Going forward, I will do this for a few hours when I first get them.

Here's a great video on steeping, and it includes a warning about letting the juice breath for too long (you will lose flavor):

I like to order a few extra flavor shots. I went with three extra shots for my last order, but only two shots for the one before that. I like three shots, but that might be a little overpowering for some people, so one or two seems like a good place to start. I also imagine that some flavors are better with more, while others are better with less. So, I recommend one extra flavor shot to start, and then go from there. Really, this is a matter of personal preference.

Regarding the juice going bad after sitting for too long, I've read that you probably won't need to worry about that, because it won't last you that long (maybe one to three months, if you have many bottles and rotate them?), but I'd also like to know if this is true for juice that sits for, say, six or twelve months (hopefully, someone else will come along and be able to talk more about this). I just keep it in a dark place at room temperature with the cap on.

My current favorite flavors from Mt. Baker are:

1. Wintergreen
  2. Black Licorice (I ordered three extra flavor shots, and it's strong. I might go with two shots next time.)
  3. Candy Cane
  4. Red Licorice

I still have many more to try from my most recent order.

Last edited:

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
@dmetzcher
Awesome information, I found that very video a few days ago. It seems daunting starting out abit because of the steeping. waiting up to a month to see if you even like something is daunting when your learning.

Great info, I've read many people doing the warming up with water or rice thing to meld the flavors together.
Kinda wish I added an flavor shot to my orders. Just afraid of 20pg/80vg will be lacking flavor..

Live and learn I guess. just need to get some bottles into the steeping process so I being testing in a few weeks.

thanks again guys

This maybe basic but does adding extra flavor change the PG/VG ratio? i.e.. is flavor PG?

I mix my own juices and have tried dozens of flavors from several major vendors. I think almost every one of them uses PG as the main carrier component so basically yes, flavor = PG. You also asked if that would change your PG/VG ratio if adding extra flavoring. It depends on the percentage of flavoring they use as a default. If you want an 80vg/20pg mix and the flavoring comes out to less than 20% of the total mix they will add straight PG to get the correct ratio. If the default flavoring they use is only 10% then you can add another 10% flavoring and still get your 80/20 mix.

dmetzcher

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
California, USA
I mix my own juices and have tried dozens of flavors from several major vendors. I think almost every one of them uses PG as the main carrier component so basically yes, flavor = PG. You also asked if that would change your PG/VG ratio if adding extra flavoring. It depends on the percentage of flavoring they use as a default. If you want an 80vg/20pg mix and the flavoring comes out to less than 20% of the total mix they will add straight PG to get the correct ratio. If the default flavoring they use is only 10% then you can add another 10% flavoring and still get your 80/20 mix.

I assumed that MBV adds flavoring separately from the PG/VG, simply because they allow you to add additional shots of flavoring, and if the flavoring were part of the PG, that would increase the PG content. Or am I thinking about it incorrectly? I've never mixed my own ejuice.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I assumed that MBV adds flavoring separately from the PG/VG, simply because they allow you to add additional shots of flavoring, and if the flavoring were part of the PG, that would increase the PG content. Or am I thinking about it incorrectly? I've never mixed my own ejuice.

dmetzcher this is exactly what is confusing me on this

My thinking is they add it to the PG

So if I'm getting 20/80

their normal flavoring is say 2 then add 18pg
so if you want double they would do 2+2 then add 16pg

Thats my assumption but have not seen anything on this which is why I ask.

TheChromeKamuro

Verified Member
Jul 14, 2014
Sturgeon, MO USA
Welcome to the family, tfraley. :) The ECF family AND the Mt. Baker family. :laugh: You'll find that there are just as many people that detest MBV as there are that love them, and if this Forum had a 'catch phrase' it would be 'Taste is Subjective'. I've been thinking of making that my next tattoo. :p

Although I'm a noob just like you, I have learned lots since joining this forum, and a few things through my own trial and error (and mistakes!).

MBV flavors I'm able to enjoy right out of the mailbox include:

Dutch Apple Pie (you can taste the streusel!)
Black Clove (ever smoked a Darjum Clove cigarette? MBVs Black Clove is spot on)
Cucumber-Mint (a surprisingly bright, refreshing vape...nice after a heavy meal)
Coffee Liqueur (steeping really makes this one shine even though it's nice upon receipt. SO creamy)

Like you, I didn't know what to expect taste-wise, this being my first juice order, so I went with 50/50, 12mg Nic (having dropped down from Blu/16mg) and no flavor shots. While I enjoyed them all enough to re-order, I added 2 flavor shots to each juice the next time around and reduced the Nic to 6mg, which will also cause some flavor reduction/reduced throat hit. I placed a third order for a 30ml bottle of Faux Hawk (raspberry version of Hawk Sauce) and because I realized I love intense juice flavors, I went all out and ordered 5 shots (the maximum). Success! Such intense, in-your-face flavor! From now on I will probably get the max flavor on all of my MBV orders.

In regard to steeping, I shake the heck out of my juice when I first get it, and let it breathe (both caps and dripper tips off) for 8 hours in a dark closet. My juice is never exposed to sunlight, except when I'm filling a tank. I shake the bottle vigorously before and after filling, and (if I think of it) a couple times per day when I walk past the closet. I had 2 bottles of the same juice, one I shook religiously, the other I did not. It makes a huge difference, imho. :)

I've never had the 2 flavors you just ordered, so I'd love to hear your impressions of them, before and after steeping. I'm always looking for a new juice to love.

You should also check out ITCvapes.com. They have a flavor named Spoonlicker v2 that I am absolutely addicted to. It's creamy strawberry with a mild graham/cake background. I've gone through a bottle in little over a week, and I'm getting ready to reorder 120ml in that flavor. It's so incredibly lush. And their prices are the same as MBV, so not only is the juice luscious, you don't have to give up your first-born in order to get some. :laugh:

Vape on, brother! :vapor:

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome tfraley :thumb:

I use MBV all the time, and i've found that very few of their flavors actually require extra flavor shots. I will sometimes add one to a 50/50 pg/vg mix. At 65/35 or 80/20, i usually just leave them as is. Your own tastes my vary, so just dial it in as you go.

Kttonmouth401, I actually went the other way around 20pg and 80vg which is why I worried about flavor. going high pg I would expect to taste it more but I want the smoke. I'm a cigar guy and don't want to give that up.

tfraley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
TheChromeKamuro,

Thank you so much,
It helps learning from other people experiences, And knowing that their are a few juices that work well out of the box from them is nice t know. Might be worth adding one to the next order.
I will also check out ITCvapes, haven't heard of them before.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread