First post! Few nooby questions on box mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sc23

Jul 19, 2018
Hi, decided to give vaping a go again.

Introduction:
My previous devices were all pen style, I started on a cheap ego style device and found it useful to quit smoking and then progressed onto an eleaf Ijust 2 and loved it. Once that device wasn't working properly I got myself a smok vape 22 pen and loved it. I used that device for around a year and then picked up the nasty habit again...doh.

I have now decided it's time to quit fully and purchased myself my first box mod. It's a smok s priv and I'm really enjoying it.

So here are my questions:
There are multiple settings for different coil types (titanium, steel etc) and I was wondering where I would be able to purchase a pack of coils of each type and if my device was actually compatible with any other coils other than the default ones it comes shipped with (not to sure of the names sorry). I believe the normal coils are kanthol?

And if the answer to that question was yes, the s priv can use different coil material types. Which is best for flavour production?

Also, can I get a new tank other than the normal one that can take more powerful coils etc and will it fit onto the device?

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: stols001

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
The wire selection settings are for temp control (TC), which is a different way of vaping. With variable wattage, you set your wattage and the mod steadily provides that wattage to the coil. With TC, you set a temperature and a max wattage, and the mod provides as many watts as necessary (up to the max you set) to maintain that temperature. I find it a much more consistent vape.

TC needs to know what metal is used for the coil so it can calculate the temperature (it doesn't measure temp directly.)

I don't think Smok makes any TC coils for its tanks, so you probably can't use that setting with your current tank. However, you can use pretty much any other tank on your Smok mod and try TC that way. I don't know what tanks have drop in TC coils as I usually use an RTA (I build my own coils).

As to which metal to use, stainless steel (ss316L, in particular - there are different types of stainless steel) is currently the most popular. It's more versatile than Nickel 200 and Titanium because you can use ss316L in both TC and VW (variable wattage) modes, while titanium and nickel should only ever be used in TC. They can give off vapours you really don't want to encounter if they're overheated, which is easily done in VW with those metals.

And to answer your last question, almost any tank will work with your mod. Smok tends to make some of the more powerful coils, so whether you find something to your taste will depend on what you're looking for.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As @Hawise said, Smok doesn't make any temp control coils so as long as you stick with them the other settings won't be of any use. Not sure what tank comes with that mod, but if it has an RBA, you could build your own with SS.

The standard 510 on the mod would allow you to use any other tank on the market, so you could get something that would allow you to buy SS drop in coils if you want to explore temp control without building your own stuff.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm assuming you are asking about clearomizer tanks that use factory-made, drop-in coils. The most common wire used in clearomizers are Kanthal, NiChrome, Stainless Steel, and Nickle. Kanthal is probably the most common; it can be used only in wattage mode. Stainless steel is probably the next most common, and has the advantage of being able to be used in either wattage or TC mode.

Which wire provides the best flavor is debatable, and depends upon the subjective experience of the person giving their opinion.

Each brand/model of clearomizer may or may not have different coil options. You'll have to do a product research to see what each brand/model offers in the product discriptions. Different coils will have different resistances, and each resistance will have recommendations of wattage ranges that they can be used at.

WireTypes_101-1.png

Should you decide to purchase a more adaptible clearomizer tank, may I suggest the original Uwell Crown tank. It offers four different coils, three which can be used in either wattage or TC mode, and a nickle coil for TC only. Each coil has a recommended wattage range to suit the way you like to vape.

Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank
Coils available:

1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
0.5 ohm
Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
0.25 ohm
Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
0.15 ohm
Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (temp control)​

Last edited:

Sc23

Jul 19, 2018
I'm assuming you are asking about clearomizer tanks that use factory-made, drop-in coils. The most common wire used in clearomizers are Kanthal, NiChrome, Stainless Steel, and Nickle. Kanthal is probably the most common; it can be used only in wattage mode. Stainless steel is probably the next most common, and has the advantage of being able to be used in either wattage or TC mode.

Which wire provides the best flavor is debatable, and depends upon the subjective experience of the person giving their opinion.

Each brand/model of clearomizer may or may not have different coil options. You'll have to do a product research to see what each brand/model offers in the product discriptions. Different coils will have different resistances, and each resistance will have recommendations of wattage ranges that they can be used at.

WireTypes_101-1.png

Should you decide to purchase a more adaptible clearomizer tank, may I suggest the original Uwell Crown tank. It offers four different coils, and they can be used in either wattage or TC mode. Each coil has a recommended wattage range to suit the way you like to vape.

Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank
Coils available:

Thanks! I'll give the tank a look.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Lots of info.
I mostly vape Kanthal.
I use TC (SS316) for dual coil RDAs at higher power. My work coils (no cloud chasing) are SS but I run them in VW, I find it more predictable.
Uwell crown is awesome. I have the original and recommend it highly. I think I've used all the different types of coil over the years. Enjoy!

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread