First time at Mom and pops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
Morley is smashing, love it - but that will definitely gunk up coils - W2V sells an atty cleaner that you may want to think about getting as well for them - and M&P's in Dante's case

I'm in possession of W2V's 10+1 but haven't yet tried the "Atty" Refresher. I've been using PGA to clean my gear with generally good results. Maybe I should give it a go on this, one stubborn to come clean, 901 atty coil I have.
I haven't tried a lot of NET's or tobacco Absolutes but out of the 30+ juices I've tasted Morley gives the closest approximation of a cigarette.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
Morley is smashing, love it - but that will definitely gunk up coils - W2V sells an atty cleaner that you may want to think about getting as well for them - and M&P's in Dante's case

Nah. I use a cyclone rda. I can make a new coil and pop it in, in about 2 minutes. No biggie.

Sent from Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk 2.

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
Nah. I use a cyclone rda. I can make a new coil and pop it in, in about 2 minutes. No biggie.

Cool. I just got an A6 earlier this week. Drilled out the airhole in the topcap. But had had some minor but temporary respiratory distress after a few hits. ....what are your thoughts on the safety of silica wicking? [Not necessarily pointing my finger at silica but it's in the lineup of potential suspects.]

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
Cool. I just got an A6 earlier this week. Drilled out the airhole in the topcap. But had had some minor but temporary respiratory distress after a few hits. ....what are your thoughts on the safety of silica wicking? [Not necessarily pointing my finger at silica but it's in the lineup of potential suspects.]

From all I've read its about as safe as alternative as we have available. Granted small bits of inhaled silica is more or less inhaling microscopic shards of glass. Only precaution I take is washing my hands after working with it dry. Once it's juiced up the juice stops any small particles from drifting about. I've been vaping almost solely on silica for right at a year and my lungs have never felt better. My guess would be first... air hole.not lined up with coil. Drawing air in over one of the posts makes for a super bad hit. Second I'd look for hot spots on the coil. Also make sure you're keeping the wattage down. I'd recommend between 8 and 9 watts personally.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
From all I've read its about as safe as alternative as we have available. Granted small bits of inhaled silica is more or less inhaling microscopic shards of glass. Only precaution I take is washing my hands after working with it dry. Once it's juiced up the juice stops any small particles from drifting about. I've been vaping almost solely on silica for right at a year and my lungs have never felt better. My guess would be first... air hole.not lined up with coil. Drawing air in over one of the posts makes for a super bad hit. Second I'd look for hot spots on the coil. Also make sure you're keeping the wattage down. I'd recommend between 8 and 9 watts personally.

I tend to agree; hot spot on coil.

Also, I've been using RBA's for quite some time and my primary reason for doing this was to eliminate silica. Silica is something I'll never use again. I'm really surprised we don't read more about this health risk

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
I tend to agree; hot spot on coil.

Also, I've been using RBA's for quite some time and my primary reason for doing this was to eliminate silica. Silica is something I'll never use again. I'm really surprised we don't read more about this health risk

What are you using Randy? I tried unbleached cotton, cotton gauze, and some hemp rope. I just always ended up back at silica. For me anyway I get the best flavor and it's just so easy to work with. But ya I'm a registered nurse so in the back of my mind I kinda wonder if 20 years down the road if we're all diagnosed with some pulmonary fibrosis from vaping on some of this stuff, silica especially included. For now though I'm stuck thinking it's at least better than analogs. And in 20 years if I'm diagnosed with some pulmonary condition I imagine it'll be impossible to link it directly to vaping anything given 20 plus years of smoking analogs. Who knows.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
Going on 2nd week with this tobacco haze....dang, this is definitely one of my top 3 juices. The more I vape it the better it gets. Getting a superb nut flavor now. Breaking into my top 5 is a chore. Besides HHV and ROAR I've never had any other juices from countless vendors that made it into my routine vaping list. This one does.

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
Going on 2nd week with this tobacco haze....dang, this is definitely one of my top 3 juices. The more I vape it the better it gets. Getting a superb nut flavor now. Breaking into my top 5 is a chore. Besides HHV and ROAR I've never had any other juices from countless vendors that made it into my routine vaping list. This one does.

Countless is right! I was just getting to feel better about my e-cig equipment acquisitions coming under control. But I'm hoping my juice acquisitions don't get out of hand. I've tried 5 different juice vendors and have or have plans to reorder from them all. But my 'juice vendor to try list' is at least triple what I've already sampled.
Please share your thoughts or experience in this area for this relative noob. :)
Do y'all set limits for yourselves or is your limit what budget will allow?

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
Countless is right! I was just getting to feel better about my e-cig equipment acquisitions coming under control. But I'm hoping my juice acquisitions don't get out of hand. I've tried 5 different juice vendors and have or have plans to reorder from them all. But my 'juice vendor to try list' is at least triple what I've already sampled.
Please share your thoughts or experience in this area for this relative noob. :)
Do y'all set limits for yourselves or is your limit what budget will allow?

Well let's just say switching from smoking to vaping may have saved my health. Money? Not so much. My number one vendor would be HHV. I've already had nearly 40 of their flavors. I would say I have finally settled on a favorite fruit vape and I have my favorite sweet vape so I don't go running around AS much looking for those. Tobacco and nut flavors? Ya whatever my budget allows. Lol. And Lord lets not mention equipment. Better stay out of those threads. Get a group of folks talking about how great a provari with a z atty pro or cobra atty is and you'll be looking to drop 300 plus in one go. Errr well I have the provari I'm currently plotting how to break it to my wife that I'm adding a cobra to the lineup. Doh!

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
LOL - I've said this before on forum, but I'll repeat it here:

Initial chemo session can cost as much as $4,000
6-8 weeks chemo can cost as much as $30,000
Vaping = priceless.

I spent a lot of money when I first started and shotgun blasted my way through juices. But now I've settled down considerably. There's still a load I have to try but I keep looking at the stash I already have and figure I should at least get round to even trying those ones first. Luckily I found a couple of go to juices, and after that I settled down considerably. Even I can't justify trying this one or that one when I have a good 40 I haven't even opened the lids on yet! LOL

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
The Cobra does look pretty bad-.... I've shopped for mechs but have not been able to make a decision so I decided I'm just not ready for one yet. I really enjoy The two VV\VW devices that I have. Both have 501 and ego cone threads so they'll fit the large majority of peripherals that I've come across. The Vamo v3 controls are especially easy to use and it 'remembers' settings between battery charges whereas the Sigelei Tele. Zmax v3 does not. So, I like the control that VV\VW offers but I imagine once a vaper starts getting good at building wick/coil setups the sub ohm desire forces them into mechs.

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
LOL - I've said this before on forum, but I'll repeat it here:

Initial chemo session can cost as much as $4,000
6-8 weeks chemo can cost as much as $30,000
Vaping = priceless.

I spent a lot of money when I first started and shotgun blasted my way through juices. But now I've settled down considerably. There's still a load I have to try but I keep looking at the stash I already have and figure I should at least get round to even trying those ones first. Luckily I found a couple of go to juices, and after that I settled down considerably. Even I can't justify trying this one or that one when I have a good 40 I haven't even opened the lids on yet! LOL
I'm glad you are arriving at some that you really like. My issue is I've tried very few that I strongly disliked. So I guess I have the task of picking favorites out of the standouts. And reordering larger sizes of the samples that I finished faster than their 'word on the forums' optimum steep time. :vapor:

Last edited:

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
The Cobra does look pretty bad-.... I've shopped for mechs but have not been able to make a decision so I decided I'm just not ready for one yet. I really enjoy The two VV\VW devices that I have. Both have 501 and ego cone threads so they'll fit the large majority of peripherals that I've come across. The Vamo v3 controls are especially easy to use and it 'remembers' settings between battery charges whereas the Sigelei Tele. Zmax v3 does not. So, I like the control that VV\VW offers but I imagine once a vaper starts getting good at building wick/coil setups the sub ohm desire forces them into mechs.

Agreed. I myself had been looking into a mechanical mod of some sort but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have a provari and a zmax so I almost feel like it would be going backwards. I like vv/vw and I just haven't convinced myself to buy something just to play with subohm coils. So for now I'm a bit more focused on getting a higher end atty. No doubt the ZAP probably looks better on a provari than anything else out there but I'm not a fan of an airy draw so I'd have to fix the air hole from the start. The cobra looks almost as nice and has an air hole more to my liking.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm glad you are arriving at some that you really like. My issue is I've tried very few that I strongly disliked. So I guess I have the task of picking favorites out of the standouts. And reordering larger sizes of the samples that I finished faster than their 'word on the forums' optimum steep time. :vapor:

Boy I could point to some that were just plain nasty. Lol. Overall though most are at least vapeable.

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
Boy I could point to some that were just plain nasty. Lol. Overall though most are at least vapeable.

Sorry you had to experience bad juices. :( I feel fortunate to have come into vaping when the e-juice industry appears to be in a golden age. Hell, the first two juices tried after a few Blucig disposables were Halo Turkish Tobacco and Belgian Cocoa. Another guy posted in another thread that he'd tried hundreds of chocolate juices before he'd arrived at Belgian Cocoa. So I kinda feel spoiled.
I started looking at Blucig kits and the one I wanted was sold out but I wasn't going to have my wallet extorted by disposables any more. So I got online and found the vapegrl.com blog which seemed to be a very beginner friendly site. And she highly recommended the Halo juices.

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
Agreed. I myself had been looking into a mechanical mod of some sort but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have a provari and a zmax so I almost feel like it would be going backwards. I like vv/vw and I just haven't convinced myself to buy something just to play with subohm coils. So for now I'm a bit more focused on getting a higher end atty. No doubt the ZAP probably looks better on a provari than anything else out there but I'm not a fan of an airy draw so I'd have to fix the air hole from the start. The cobra looks almost as nice and has an air hole more to my liking.

Have you checked out Scott on YouTube? Igetcha69 is his channel/tag. He has some great video reviews of a good collection of atomizers including the Cobra.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
What are you using Randy? I tried unbleached cotton, cotton gauze, and some hemp rope. I just always ended up back at silica. For me anyway I get the best flavor and it's just so easy to work with. But ya I'm a registered nurse so in the back of my mind I kinda wonder if 20 years down the road if we're all diagnosed with some pulmonary fibrosis from vaping on some of this stuff, silica especially included. For now though I'm stuck thinking it's at least better than analogs. And in 20 years if I'm diagnosed with some pulmonary condition I imagine it'll be impossible to link it directly to vaping anything given 20 plus years of smoking analogs. Who knows.

Dantes, I've been using cotton cheesecloth for the past six months exclusively. I find that the cotton has a bit of "break in" required. Usually, the taste gets to be optimal after the first 20-30 drags. It's good, really good!

The last time I made a silica wick was the last time I made a silica wick. I happened to be using a magnifying glass while experimenting with different wick/coil combinations for an RBA I made. I happened to look at my fingers under the magnifying glass as I was finishing. What I saw scared the crap out of me.... thousands of microscopic stands of silica (glass) all over my fingers, just from handling the stuff. I know the inhalation risk is minimal when vaping, because it would be very difficult for these particles to get airborne when soaked with juice, however the risk remains to some degree.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
Well let's just say switching from smoking to vaping may have saved my health. Money? Not so much. My number one vendor would be HHV. I've already had nearly 40 of their flavors. I would say I have finally settled on a favorite fruit vape and I have my favorite sweet vape so I don't go running around AS much looking for those. Tobacco and nut flavors? Ya whatever my budget allows. Lol. And Lord lets not mention equipment. Better stay out of those threads. Get a group of folks talking about how great a provari with a z atty pro or cobra atty is and you'll be looking to drop 300 plus in one go. Errr well I have the provari I'm currently plotting how to break it to my wife that I'm adding a cobra to the lineup. Doh!

I landed on two devices that work quite well for me- My Provari toped with an IGO-L; which doesn't leave my house. I drip with this to try new liquids, experiment, etc. I use My Reo bottom feeder topped with a modded A-7 when at work, or am out and around, because it's so easy to travel with... "filler up and forget it".

Liquids: not much cost savings for me over analogs because I'm always trying something new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread