First time e-cig user (possible allergic reaction to disposable blu) Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTYICE

Jun 18, 2013
altanta, ga, US
I just tried a disposable blu classic tobacco e-cig. I didn't know if I would like these things (e-cigs) or not, hence the disposable. I took a couple drags yesterday and noticed that my upper lip was slightly swollen about an hour afterwords. I had no idea at the time that people could be allergic to these things, and assumed that it was something I ate. The swelling had gone down by the following morning.

I looked online today and found that the glycerin used in these things can cause allergies. The type in the blue is VG.

The ingredients on the back of the package list distilled water, FCC Grade Vegetable Glycerin, nicotine, natural and artificial flavors, and citric acid.

I just tried this thing again (just to be sure) and am again having the same swelling of the upper lip, and a slightly irritated feeling in my chest. Don't worry, my airways aren't closing up or anything. I have been exposed to some other allergy causing factors recently, so I'm not certain that it was the e-cig. It is quite a coincidence though. I do want to quit traditional smoking, and was hoping this would be a good alternative. I'm not so sure now. I've read that mild side effects are to be expected when starting vaping, but did not see swollen lips anywhere.

All I can say is that I'm glad I just bought a disposable instead of a fancy expensive system. Should I give this up completely or try a different product? Am I one of the 1% that is allergic to VG? Should I try a PG system? Are these blu disposables just crap?

I'm interested in switching over, but am reluctant to invest more heavily if I am allergic to the vapors. Is there any way around the glycerin entirely?

Any advice?

Reactions: cry2016

yazdan

Moved On
Apr 26, 2013
UK
www.massvapour.com
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

richb87

Jun 18, 2013
earth
I thing you should try a PG mix or maybe a different brand, have never tried blu so I cant say really. But I dont think you should let this put you off im sure there is a way you can vape happily but it might mean you have to stay away from VG.
I have only heared of people been allergic to PG but i suppose this can happen with anything.
It could even be one of the other ingredients so i would go for a different brand.
Lorillard (third largest tobacco company) have brought blu and maybe there trying to put you off so you keep buying cigarettes! :ohmy:

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
It really could be anything...or nothing. The only way to know is to have an allergy test done to see what you are sensitive to, and make sure those aren't in the things you expose yourself to. I have a lot of allergies/sensitivities (getting worse as I get older), and you just learn to deal with it/figure it out. I am also sensitive to things in the juice, most likely in certain flavorings--but I'm in the process of discovery at the moment and am just taking benadryl at night so it doesn't get too bad. Sorta sucks, but smoking's worse.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I just tried a disposable blu classic tobacco e-cig. I didn't know if I would like these things (e-cigs) or not, hence the disposable. I took a couple drags yesterday and noticed that my upper lip was slightly swollen about an hour afterwords. I had no idea at the time that people could be allergic to these things, and assumed that it was something I ate. The swelling had gone down by the following morning.

I looked online today and found that the glycerin used in these things can cause allergies. The type in the blue is VG.

The ingredients on the back of the package list distilled water, FCC Grade Vegetable Glycerin, nicotine, natural and artificial flavors, and citric acid.

I just tried this thing again (just to be sure) and am again having the same swelling of the upper lip, and a slightly irritated feeling in my chest. Don't worry, my airways aren't closing up or anything. I have been exposed to some other allergy causing factors recently, so I'm not certain that it was the e-cig. It is quite a coincidence though. I do want to quit traditional smoking, and was hoping this would be a good alternative. I'm not so sure now. I've read that mild side effects are to be expected when starting vaping, but did not see swollen lips anywhere.

All I can say is that I'm glad I just bought a disposable instead of a fancy expensive system. Should I give this up completely or try a different product? Am I one of the 1% that is allergic to VG? Should I try a PG system? Are these blu disposables just crap?

I'm interested in switching over, but am reluctant to invest more heavily if I am allergic to the vapors. Is there any way around the glycerin entirely?

Any advice?

I've run into many reports of folks who are allergic to VG. So I'd suggest trying PG instead. Myself, I tend to prefer VG over PG but, yeah, if you're having an allergic reaction, that's no fun.

I think the Blu disposables are actually better than the Blu kit (which I had at first). I still pick up a "classic tobacco" disposable once in a while. I just like the flavor. I actually wouldn't call their disposables "crap". Their kits... well, let's just move on shall we? :D

But, no, I wouldn't let it discourage you. Blu uses 100% VG from Johnson Creek (which I buy from, some of the JC juices are "mainstays" for me). But they're far, far from the only game in town. Such as Mount Baker (who I also buy from) has several PG/VG options. Like here: Banana E Juice Baker Vapor - Mt Baker Vapor - Electronic Cigarettes (I like banana :) ). A number of vendors like them let you select the base liquid "mix". MBV (Mount Baker Vapor) lets you pick 100% PG or 100% VG or a mix.

There's tons of variations out there. Blu is just the one spending all the money on the TV ads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread