First Week with my 510 and Lots of Experimentation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Frederick, MD
I got my Joye510 and some juice from EA a week ago and I'm loving it as my analog replacement! Thank god the kit has 2 batteries though! As a 15-year chemist I'm naturally drawn into the appeal of mixing, the health discussions, modding, etc., so I'm hoping I can at least provide a little value to the rest of the ECF members!

I've already done plenty of PG/VG ratio experiments using a PG base nic...40/40 PG to VG with 20% purified water to thin it is my favorite combo for now (soon to be 10/10 water to flavorings initially...as soon as my first order of conc. unflavored nic-juice and LorAnns flavorings are in. 20 1-dram vape-friendly flavors to start with!). This ratio provides tons of VG vapor, good PG TH, pleasant/cool/mildly sweet flavor with pretty good wicking properties with the 20% H2O cut. Unfortunately I bought 18 mg/mL juice to start, so I'm only at 7.2 mg/mL with my current ratios...that'll soon change. Can't keep going on super-ultra-light Capris here!

Already done several cart mods too...the straw mod with a poly plug (vs. the blue foam plug) is my current favorite. The only drawback is the hollowed center for good plug support...I'm starting my own mod to address that. More to come. I'll be trying the no-filler mod next and some direct drip rounds as well. Next comes the SD or eGo for some real battery life!

This forum is a wealth of info and some good discussions...thanks to all! I look forward to contributing with the rest of you. And I'm officially hooked!

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I got my Joye510 and some juice from EA a week ago and I'm loving it as my analog replacement! Thank god the kit has 2 batteries though! As a 15-year chemist I'm naturally drawn into the appeal of mixing, the health discussions, modding, etc., so I'm hoping I can at least provide a little value to the rest of the ECF members!

I've already done plenty of PG/VG ratio experiments using a PG base nic...40/40 PG to VG with 20% purified water to thin it is my favorite combo for now (soon to be 10/10 water to flavorings initially...as soon as my first order of conc. unflavored nic-juice and LorAnns flavorings are in. 20 1-dram vape-friendly flavors to start with!). This ratio provides tons of VG vapor, good PG TH, pleasant/cool/mildly sweet flavor with pretty good wicking properties with the 20% H2O cut. Unfortunately I bought 18 mg/mL juice to start, so I'm only at 7.2 mg/mL with my current ratios...that'll soon change. Can't keep going on super-ultra-light Capris here!

Already done several cart mods too...the straw mod with a poly plug (vs. the blue foam plug) is my current favorite. The only drawback is the hollowed center for good plug support...I'm starting my own mod to address that. More to come. I'll be trying the no-filler mod next and some direct drip rounds as well. Next comes the SD or eGo for some real battery life!

This forum is a wealth of info and some good discussions...thanks to all! I look forward to contributing with the rest of you. And I'm officially hooked!

We could use another chemist around here.

I retired from just feeling like one.

If you find a better mod than the blue foam straw mod share it. i can`t imagine the countless hours that have been spent by some darned talented people in the modding section, yet that mods outperforms all. Sometimes simplicity is the best route. Admittedly I have yet to try the silicone plug.

Caution

May 25, 2010
Wilsonville, OR
You're on a similar path as I am, I got my first PV (Joye 510) in May, and just this week upgraded to the eGo for more battery life and got stronger (24mg) liquid. I'm finding this setup much more enjoyable. Although, I am now getting curious about the larger 801 carts, cartomizers, mods with a reservoir, high-voltage attys, etc. I knew this was going to happen, being into electronic gadgets (I design circuit boards for a living) and building things, and living next to a giant electronics store. I'm going to be busy modding this summer methinks.

Having never tried vaping before, I wasn't sure what strength would be right for me, but having come from smoking Marb Lights, I thought I'd try "medium" to be sure. The vendor bought from considered that to be 11mg. The latest stuff I got is marked medium-high and is 24mg, over twice the concentration. So, quite some variation in classification out there. I'm loving 24mg. I don't know what the VG/PG usages are but it seems more vaporous than PG juice w/o any VG. I am on the cusp of getting into mixing so I will be interested in your future posts. :)

I too have tried all three mods you mentioned, and although the filler and foam mods work fine, they tend to give off a more pronounced nastiness when it starts to run dry. I'm vaping on zero-filler carts exclusively now. I got lucky the first time I cut out the plug, it was perfect, but then I realized on successive attempts that I had to be very careful as there is a very fine line between a snug fit and a loose fit that leaks and leaves the plug inside the atty when you pull off the cart. The trick I found is to first remove the top part of the cap and carefully take off thin slices as you get close, constantly checking to see how it fits.

Caution by zero filler, you`re referring to the cart cap plug mod? That`s the only one I haven`t tried that one, and would agree, that the blue foam "lets you know" when it is dry. But it vapes to the last drop, I`ve taken it out and squeezed the foam on a tissue and get less than a drop. Matter of fact it just "notified" me!

MilkyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Frederick, MD
Thanks for the responses! For straw length I'm doing about 2/3 of the cart length with a 1/3 length plug. I trim the poly fill to just over the lip, take it back out to fluff it a little, then reform to shape and compress a little (but not too much!). That gives it better form and hold without being too tight. Wicks perfectly, holds well with no loose fibers sticking to the atty wick, and runs completely dry until you get that last less-than-pleasant drag. I also plan on investigating alternative plug materials.

Another thing I noticed about the 510 attys...there's definitely a break-in period. After initial use with only PG I wasn't very impressed with vapor production. After some mixing experiments, a few days of moderate to heavy use, and a good cleaning (hot water flush, followed by isopropanol, then hot water again and forced-air drying) my PG vapor is almost as good as some of my VG mixes! With routine and thorough cleaning, I'm certain I can get more life and performance out of these than some are experiencing.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to follow-up on everything I try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread