Fishy Email Promises Free 30ML Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
UPDATE: Confirmed a scam from Pink Spot Vapors on their facebook. Be sure to not respond to this email or ever give any information over email!

So I got an email today from Pink Spot Vapors (about an hour ago) that claimed some 'fishy stuff went down and needs updated info' and promises free 30ml juice if we do so. I feel like this is a tactic. "oh hey there is account fishing going on, so type in your account info here:". I want to know what you guys think.

from: Pink Spot Vapors <diamondsecurita @ countermail. com> /suppor t.google. com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=1311182"]viaauth.ccsend.com
reply-to: diamondsecurita @ countermail. com
to: xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
date: Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM
subject: Pink Spot Vapors Events
mailed-by: in.constantcontact.com
signed-by: auth.ccsend.com

Pink Spot Vapors Announcement
Preventing sneaky bizzness. ;)
What's up! This is nothing to write home to the fam about. Just standard business of protecting our fans. There's been some fishy smelling stuff going on. It's probably not your fault, one of those big tobacco monkey suite wearing peeps trying some funny fraudulent looking stuff to your account or you need to tell grandma to sit lady like.

In order to further protect your account and to alleviate any possible future headaches with your purchases we need you to verify some simple yet vital financial account details to insure that you can continue to enjoy your the PSV experience. Follow the following link to verify that you're not the one that smells funky.

It's cool tho, we're gonna hook your up with a free 30oz bottle of our Pink Spot Vapors liquid to remind you that we love ya.

Here is the link to the fraud prevention form:
http://form.jotform.us/form/[omitted for security]

Peace out and as always, feel free to reply with any questions, comments or concerns.

Pink Spot Vapors!

Penn and Sandi

Oddly enough the form.jotform.us link does not go anywhere and reveals that the form has been disabled. It has only been an hour. I am running linux so I felt a little fearless opening that link. However nothing seemed to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Sounds like a scam to me. Seems as though they are fishing for your FINANCIAL account information. THink about it, when you place an order, you have to put in your CC number EVERY TIME. Those numbers are not kept on file. How would a "big tobacco monkey suite" get that info unless you, the buyer, are giving it to them?

Do not reply to that email. Also, there are typo's all over the place in that email. If I were you, I would contact Pink Spot (through their website) and let them know what is going on. They may be able to address it on their website and warn their other customers about this fishing scam.

REMINDER TO EVERYONE: Never give out your financial information to ANYONE through email. If you think you need to, call or contact the company directly. DO NOT REPLY to the email.

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
I guess we are making a presence out there. Is there really a pink spot company?

Yes pink spot is a real company. They make some amazing juices that I am actually low on. That is what I am amazed about; that if this email is fake that we make enough of a voice in the world that it is viable and worth a scammers time to attack such a small community of people (compared to larger demographics)

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
Sounds like a scam to me. Seems as though they are fishing for your FINANCIAL account information. THink about it, when you place an order, you have to put in your CC number EVERY TIME. Those numbers are not kept on file. How would a "big tobacco monkey suite" get that info unless you, the buyer, are giving it to them?

Do not reply to that email. Also, there are typo's all over the place in that email. If I were you, I would contact Pink Spot (through their website) and let them know what is going on. They may be able to address it on their website and warn their other customers about this fishing scam.

REMINDER TO EVERYONE: Never give out your financial information to ANYONE through email. If you think you need to, call or contact the company directly. DO NOT REPLY to the email.

I contacted them through their facebook. I could not find an official email address.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Haha. Not to mention that a 30oz bottle is 887.1 ml.:confused:

ROFLMAO Good catch..... didn't even see that one. Funny how the brain can automatically do the correction without realizing it. :D
That would be a MAJOR red flag that this is a scam. I will have to pay attention to that little detail from now on. And believe me I will!

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
You shouldn't even have to ask if this is a scam. But just in case, from the Punk Spot website:

IMPORTANT 2/13/13: Some customers have received emails from Pink Spot Vapors asking for a credit card by email. Pink Spot Vapors will NEVER ask for a credit card by email. Please disregard the email and do not click on the link.

levisdaddy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
tucson
ROFLMAO Good catch..... didn't even see that one. Funny how the brain can automatically do the correction without realizing it. :D
That would be a MAJOR red flag that this is a scam. I will have to pay attention to that little detail from now on. And believe me I will!
good catch indeed!

You shouldn't even have to ask if this is a scam. But just in case, from the Punk Spot website:

so vapers are now being targeted by scammers!> lame sauce

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Sorry to see this kind of phishing scam start up at vape vendors... sucks.... but all the more reason why I make sure I always transfer only the amount I'm going to spend right now to a small account without linked over-draft protection or buy a CC for only the amount of purchase. I quit Pay Pal altogether because of them fraternizing with the gestapo. And I rant at the crooks as well as them every time I'm inconvenienced. :mad: Having escaped being a victim of fraud to the tune of $5000.00 I'm extra diligent and, frankly, I wouldn't do business with a vendor that I learned does not have good security on their site. In this case, I would get to the bottom of it ... meaning, did someone access your email via you answering on in the past, you opening a trojan-filled .exe attachment, etc. In other words, I would pin it down to either myself having messed up or the vendors site being wide open to hackers. If the latter, I would close my account and never return other than through a throw-away email box set up for one-time use.

Last edited:

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Pink Spot Vapors (Via Facebook post)
42 minutes ago
The "hacker" somehow accessed our email host. It is separate from the website which is still secure. We have re secured the email and I hope none of you responded to it. It was sent from diamondsecurita @countermail. com and it was not our street address and it was from Las Vegas, California. Please do not respond to it and we are sorry for the confusion. We do love our customers and hate that you all were sent this with our name affiliated with it. Have a great rest of your day.

Last edited by a moderator:

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
I would not verify any financial information with any company I do biz with. Especially if I received an email like the one you just posted. If I opted to use them again, I would re-enter my financial info at checkout. If they would not accept that, I would move on to another supplier. My guess is they will be just fine with you entering financial info at your next check out.

Were they hacked? Did a hacker get financial info from customers? This past weekend I received an alert from my credit card company. My card was in Milan, Italy shopping to the tune of $800.00 at a clothing store. Then it decided to purchase a one way ticket from a mid-east airlines. My bank caught it and stopped it before damage was done. Stuff happens.

PS: Just read your updates from the supplier. Glad to read the hacker did not get financial info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread