Five Year User JC Red Oak Domestic - Spending $$$$ on garbage - Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try to keep this short

Started vaping in 2012 - Settled on a British juice (British Bulldog) which was blended by Johnson Creek - That was discontinued 2013 so did some research found out who made it and settled on Red Oak Domestic - Never used anything else but that since.

I don't like messing with flavours I like what I like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" right?

I know JC messed their formula up some time back due to new regulations but luckily I avoiding that nightmare by buying old stock in the UK.

That bulk buy is about 5 weeks from running dry and as some of you might know Johnson Creek has closed its doors so no one is selling it anywhere. They're not allowed (apparently)

So I have spent in 1 week £500 including shipping on tobacco flavoured liquids and I kid you not all but 2 bottles have ended up in the bin, most after just smelling the stuff. Perfumed sickly sweet junk, totally fake.
I am close to trying coffee flavours because I cannot keep blowing money as I am trying to find a 100% VG tobacco that doesn't have some chemical aftertaste or artificial sweet perfume smell that makes me want to heave.

You have to understand i am so far out of the loop when it comes to products bc I have used the same liquid and device (that's another story - ) for five years.

I have learned this week about NET tobacco juices and have ordered a further £300 worth of those from various vendors and am waiting on the delivery.

The irony is, JC Red Oak was not a NET liquid and yet to me it seemed so authentic with no fake flavour or smell to it. Furthermore for a 100% VG they made their juice very thin so it wasn't too hard on the atomiser.

Are there any JC Domestic fans or ex fans that can recommend a brand that is similar or better ( I doubt that) I figure if a person loved Domestic then they must have a similar pallet to mine and their suggestions are more likely to be a hit for me.

Thanks in advance !

Liz

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

Started vaping in 2012 - Settled on a British juice (British Bulldog) which was blended by Johnson Creek - That was discontinued 2013 so did some research found out who made it and settled on Red Oak Domestic - Never used anything else but that since.

I don't like messing with flavours I like what I like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" right?

I know JC messed their formula up some time back due to new regulations but luckily I avoiding that nightmare by buying old stock in the UK.

That bulk buy is about 5 weeks from running dry and as some of you might know Johnson Creek has closed its doors so no one is selling it anywhere. They're not allowed (apparently)

So I have spent in 1 week £500 including shipping on tobacco flavoured liquids and I kid you not all but 2 bottles have ended up in the bin, most after just smelling the stuff. Perfumed sickly sweet junk, totally fake.
I am close to trying coffee flavours because I cannot keep blowing money as I am trying to find a 100% VG tobacco that doesn't have some chemical aftertaste or artificial sweet perfume smell that makes me want to heave.

You have to understand i am so far out of the loop when it comes to products bc I have used the same liquid and device (that's another story - ) for five years.

I have learned this week about NET tobacco juices and have ordered a further £300 worth of those from various vendors and am waiting on the delivery.

The irony is, JC Red Oak was not a NET liquid and yet to me it seemed so authentic with no fake flavour or smell to it. Furthermore for a 100% VG they made their juice very thin so it wasn't too hard on the atomiser.

Are there any JC Domestic fans or ex fans that can recommend a brand that is similar or better ( I doubt that) I figure if a person loved Domestic then they must have a similar pallet to mine and their suggestions are more likely to be a hit for me.

Thanks in advance !

Liz

Hi Liz,
Have you tried?
House of Liquid - Liquid Tobacco Boutique

Best of luck with your search.
I

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
If you would be open to DIY, you could ask in the DIY section about cloning your juice. I'm fairly sure someone there might be able to help you .Here's a link. Tons of resources and juice recipes. DIY E-Liquid

Good luck,

Ann
Honestly with the UK regulations that's probably the only option in having a decent flavor especially if your that picky. You could have spent way less and had way more. I think I spend 100 a month on juice probably less. I myself am going to switch soon to making my own. It's extremely important for me to make sure I know exactly what goes into my juice.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I havent made this in over two years but it's a good approximation.

Screenshot_20171107-105232.png

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thanks in advance !
Liz
"I promise you that within a few days of vaping you wont be that interested in matching the liquid flavor to that of your preferred cigarette, and eventually you wont care about the size or operating technique of the e cig. I would suggest getting a small sample (3-6mg) of a non tobacco flavored juice when you first buy your e cig gear. Pick a familliar flavor that you like, but not something really strong like cherry or other candy flavors. By all means do get a larger bottle of tobacco flavored juice, but don't be surprised if you never end up using more than half of it. I've found the flavor of most tobacco flavored juices to be too strong and was relieved to have a small bottle of non tabacco flavored juice when I first started. I think the fact that you have to hold the e cig different than how I held a cigarette also helped me quit cigarettes for good. I've only been at this for about three months and was able to drop cigarettes for good after 2 weeks. I've got three huge bottles of tobacco and menthol tobacco flavored juice that I haven't even cracked open. I stupidly ordered them after the first week. I wish I'd waited and tried more samples of non tobacco juices. Now I prefer the coffee and snack food flavors."
Re: I'm Confused.com - About to buy first -E-Ciggarette @smokeless99
Don't think I can say any better other than one thing I would like to add. The following categories are close to what I consider main vape flavor classifications:
Browse DIY E-Liquid and E-Juice Flavorings by Flavor - ecigExpress
Could take this list with you to a vape shop and ask it they can provide some sampling in the above categories that may interest you.
re: Vampire Vape Manchester

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Welcome, RoseEnglish
A strong +1 on DIY. I think my first order was about $30 on VG and nic (enough to make over 600ml of juice), another $20 in bottles & syringes, and a single $3 bottle of flavoring will make hundreds of ml of juice. Here's a paste of info I gave someone else interested in starting DIY. Trust me, it's way easier than you think. And remember, a 10 ml sample "fail" will only cost you pennies!

Nicotine River is good for nicotine, pg or vg, also has flavorings & equipment. I’m about to place an order with them. Looks like their price on nic & VG is better than what I paid at Wizard. Nicotine River - Liquid Nicotine - Vegetable Glycerin

I bought my first order of nic & vg, syringes and bottles from Wizard Labs Wizard Labs

I got my first order of flavorings from Bull City Flavors, because they had all the Hangsen & Inawara Tobacco flavors I wanted. Bull City Flavors - Best Prices on Flavoring

Supplies:

Some 30 ml glass bottles. I use about 6-8 of them, for my favorites. I don't need many, because I only vape about 3 ml a day. But I do make tobacco flavors, and it's generally better after a 30 day steep, so it stores well in the glass. For someone who goes thru a lot of a single flavor in a day, I’d recommend 60ml chubby gorilla or unicorn type bottles.
  • One or 2 dozen 10 ml plastic bottles, to make samples.
  • One 10 ml luer lock syringe for transferring VG & my VG based nicotine. I rinse & reuse, and replaced the first one because markings wore off. Very cheap, so get several. You can get a 14 ga needle for transferring but my vg is so thick, i usually just use the syringe without.
  • One 1 ml luer lock syringe and 18ga blunt needle for transferring flavorings. I rinse & reuse this too, and they're so cheap I'd get several
That's it, except for a bottle of VG, bottle of nic, and I started with about 10 different flavors. You can get the nic in different strengths, but I started with 48mg/ml rather than 100, because if I'm lazy or off a little on measurements, it won't matter as much, so it's more forgiving. Once you're comfortable, you can use stronger nic which will make it cheaper.

I over bought, and got a graduated cylinder, some pipettes and other "recommended" items I never use. I realize now that the cylinder is for making large quantities. My mixing is done directly in the 10-30ml bottles.

And one other great thing about diy - I made a large batch of my standard 14mg nic base, to make mixing easy. Then I found that I sometimes prefer vaping the unflavored for a while, or may just tank mix a little squirt of my mixed juice to make the unflavored just lightly flavored. My taste buds seem to change by the week, and diy lets you customize everything you vape.

Here's a link to my favorite calculator. Just plug in your supplies, what you want, and it tells you how much of everything to add....easy. e-liquid-recipes
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hiya!

Thanks for all of your replies

Izan - Yes I did try House Of Liquids and BOY is the taste and smell authentic, i was sure just from the smell that they were "the one" and they tasted great too, no sickly aftertaste in fact no after taste AT ALL SPOT ON... but it after just a few inhales it made me go dizzy gave me a headache AND heart burn.... went back to the website and realised they are PG based with some VG and this is exactly why I ended up on Domestic - PG doesn't make me feel well...I kept on trying it hoping it would pass but I just felt ill.

So I tried some from Kai's Virgin Vapour - Dark Side of The Moon - Nasty sweet after taste and if there's tobacco in there I could not taste it. I have some others from there that are steeping but I am not holding out much hope based on the smell

I also have Velvet Cloud White Beard and Burley Bead both steeping - No smells from either of those at all not even tobacco and Burley Beard is meant to be well burley lol
Its very thick so I need to thin it out with some distilled water - another learning curve.

I have a ton due for delivery some from Black Note and Naturally Extracted Tobacco LLC and others I cannot remember but so far I have learned PG is not for me sadly and I have yet to find "the one" lol

Coastal Cowboy - Wanna mix me a brew? I will be happy to pay you (obviously)

Brewdawg - This is not a hobby for me, I am very busy with my business and I am not into the whole different devices and wicking and mixing stuff. I know it is for many and fair play to them but for me I just want something to hit the spot. I am lucky that I can afford to be a picky cow..

To demonstrate how much I am "not into the scene" I have been using the original eRoll all these years (no ....) and am STILL using it having bought up all of the spare parts I could from all over the world since they stopped making them.
And the 100% VG does not work well with the atomisers in an eRoll as you can imagine but Domestic was fairly thin and so it kinda worked ok.
I don't like the box devices that look like breathalysers (lol) and I hate the huge screwdriver with sub ohming ( or what ever its called) I stopped smoking in 2012 found the liquid and device that worked for me and stuck with them and now almost everything taste like crap in comparison.

I am a consumer - I buy from people who do this for business or a hobby - Back over to Coastal Cowboy (?) :D

Kind Juice so far seems to be the cleanest in terms of taste and smell and no nasty lingering after taste. So I have ordered more flavours - Patriots Brew is my "best of a bad bunch" it is the only one I can enjoy but no where like i did Domestic.

Brother Bob - I haven't smoked since 2012 - I am trying to replace a liquid i have vaped in all those years that is no longer manufactured

Halfempty - I looked at the Ben Northon range and will for sure go back there after I have tried all the bottles I have coming from all over the world! Wow, I must be one picky pain in the ... !

If anyone can MAKE the clone for Domestic even if its not 100% I am more than happy to pay for your services via PayPal :)

Thanks to all of the replies thus far! Much appreciated.

I havent made this in over two years but it's a good approximation.

View attachment 698667

But is it not about which brand of flavours you use and which brand of nicotine?

I WISH I knew exactly what JC used in their juices... I would be happy to use JC Original or JC Tennessy Cured although they were not my favourite there was something about JC liquids that made them all bloody good...I was on the Black Cherry flavour they did for months before I settled on Domestic... what makes one brand appeal to one person over another person is the ingredients.

House Of Liquid...OMG - the smell the flavour - thought I had found the replacement but its PG based and I cant tolerate PG....I cannot bring myself to throw them away I keep thinking maybe I will adjust to PG... :(

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hiya!

Brewdawg - This is not a hobby for me, I am very busy with my business and I am not into the whole different devices and wicking and mixing stuff. I know it is for many and fair play to them but for me I just want something to hit the spot. I am lucky that I can afford to be a picky cow..

To demonstrate how much I am "not into the scene" I have been using the original eRoll all these years (no ....) and am STILL using it having bought up all of the spare parts I could from all over the world since they stopped making them.
And the 100% VG does not work well with the atomisers in an eRoll as you can imagine but Domestic was fairly thin and so it kinda worked ok.
I don't like the box devices that look like breathalysers (lol) and I hate the huge screwdriver with sub ohming ( or what ever its called) I stopped smoking in 2012 found the liquid and device that worked for me and stuck with them and now almost everything taste like crap in comparison.

I am a consumer - I buy from people who do this for business or a hobby - Back over to Coastal Cowboy (?) :D

Okay, I get that, most definitely. But truth is, I'm not mixing as a hobby. I do it because it's the only way to get what I want. Hopefully, you'll find what you really like, and they'll keep making it. But it sounds like you're actually spending more time searching, shopping, and buying than the 10-15 min. or so per month I spend mixing. :)

I'm sure someone here will put you on the right path to a good replacement juice, and good luck!

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
So I tried some from Kai's Virgin Vapour - Dark Side of The Moon - Nasty sweet after taste and if there's tobacco in there I could not taste it. I have some others from there that are steeping but I am not holding out much hope based on the smell

Tobaccos are one flavor I would wait months before deciding to bin them or not. I have bought and also DIY'ed tobaccos that taste horrid when freshly mixed but develop into incredible juices months later.
I agree with AzPlumber on this one. A few years ago when I first quit smoking and started vaping I bought a bottle of Dark Side of The Moon and thought the same thing you did. About 8 or 9 months later I was going to throw it out to make room, but decided to give it one last try before pouring it out. Turned out to be one of the truest tobacco flavors I have tried. Didn't buy it again because I just don't have the patience to wait 9 months for a bottle of juice, but the point is don't discount a tobacco juice on the first taste.

Good luck on your search.

there is an easier way.... check out Heathers Heavenly Vapes...
Have some on the way - I think I have researched what is good and clean - now its just a matter of narrowing down one flavour - I hope it will be satisfying and not a "It will have to do" time will tell

Many Thanks

Flavors can vary quite a bit, but USP nicotine is USP nicotine the world over.

You will adjust to life after JC, just like a lot of folks (like me) adjusted to life after Boba's Bounty.
Yea I know at the end of the day I have to, right? :)
I think I am just panicking until i find one... I am slowly narrowing down from the commercial convenience store crap to the premium NET types and there are so many on Naturally Extracted Tobaccos LLC website I will be amazed if one doesn't fit me
Failing that I will have to do what brewdawg suggest and start mixing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread