Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
Yeah, I can see how that could cause paranoia... :(

I guess back to square one, huh? Silicone tape, maybe? We use silicone plugs after all... Though there is the matter of the adhesive...

I really hate to give up on this altogether. I just can't afford to replace this many of them, and I use them, I love having lots and lots of juices loaded and ready to go, I'm fickle with my juices...

I'm running into kind of a weird thing.....I've tried 2 of the Stardusts that I "welded" with the Ambroid. Neither of them leaks....but all I'm getting is nasty burnt taste from them. Given that I'm a bit paranoid.....I'm kind of leaning toward giving up on this project and just replacing them. I got 6-8 weeks out of them....so really can't complain.

Last edited:

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
Would Acetone work? From another thread I heard that the plastic is most likely Polypropylene or Polyethylene. Doing a little googling, I found this which seems to indicate that Acetone (easily found damned near anywhere) will work as a solvent for both of those types of plastic.

Thoughts?
I used to sculpt with polymer clays and have used acetone, but found that the result was a weakend piece and don't think it would be the best solution for this either. Just my opinion. :blink:

harleydiva

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Southern Michigan
I used to sculpt with polymer clays and have used acetone, but found that the result was a weakend piece and don't think it would be the best solution for this either. Just my opinion. :blink:

The reason I went with the ambroid is that I read it "welds" the crack, and then evaporates.....which theoretically does leave anything nasty that you might be vaping.

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
The ambroid worked on a couple of mine. Another two were probably fixed in terms of cracks, but I tossed them because of performance (they were both over 3 months old with a lot of use, so I didn't feel bad about it).

I though last time you said that the ones you fixed with Ambroid were giving you a funky taste?

harleydiva

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Southern Michigan
I though last time you said that the ones you fixed with Ambroid were giving you a funky taste?

A couple of them had a super tight draw and tasted funky..... I tossed them but I think they were just old. Just gave up on trying to fix them. Went back and tried a couple of others that had been sitting around after the ambroid......they seem fine now.

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A couple of them had a super tight draw and tasted funky..... I tossed them but I think they were just old. Just gave up on trying to fix them. Went back and tried a couple of others that had been sitting around after the ambroid......they seem fine now.

Great. After your last post I was thinking of trying silicone tape, but now I'll go back to Plan A and Amboidize them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread