• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

FL ALERT: Florida Constitution Revision Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
FYI: Sun Sentinel Article today - Proposed FL Constitutional Amendment . . .

Proposed workplace vaping ban gets backing
BY CHRISTINE SEXTON

NEWS SERVICE OF FLORIDA

A ban on vaping in workplaces is one step closer to appearing on the 2018 ballot after a panel of the Florida Constitution Revision Commission unanimously approved the proposal Tuesday.

Former state Sen. Lisa Carlton, a member of the commission, said people are being adversely affected by public vaping because a ban on smoking in workplaces was passed by Florida voters in 2002, well before electronic cigarettes and other devices became available.

She wants to expand the current smoking ban to include vaping devices.​

Read Full Article here:

http://enewspaper.sun-sentinel.com/...spx?guid=527ce425-8509-483f-b486-55922ca4d088

BTW: It seems they are planning to hide this among a number of other Proposed FL Constitutional Amendment too . . . :(

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
"A harmful cloud of vapor." Sorry, I kinda tuned out after that, but sheesh.

Sigh. That's too bad. I guess the states are starting to freak about their tobacco monies. I'm so happy to live in such a behind the times state, they'll probably get to vaping in like, 2035. That's an estimate, but who knows.... :(

Anna

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I'm sure to the uninformed a ban on vaping solely in the workplace might seem reasonable (more details in this article)…

CRC Committee Approves E-Cigarette Smoking Ban | WFSU

To me this seems a godawful end-run at the constitutional level which bypasses their prior failed effort to associate vaping and tobacco without having provided one shred of scientific or legal basis for doing so. All such misguided or fraudulent approaches to curtail the individual right as regards vaping only serve to embellish government authority. We won't discuss the motives.

“No one should be forced to endure harmful vapor in their cubicle as they work to support their families. No parent should not have to worry about the health of their child because someone is vaping at the adjoining restaurant table, movie theater seat, grocery store, or next to them inside the mall. Proposal 65 is very simple, if you can’t smoke there, you can’t vape there.”

Please FL vapers follow this thread and post any news here. It's clearly not just about the workplace for Ms. Dr. Carlton. Floridians should have never approved any law associating vaping with children. We've seen the consequences nationally with the FDA of such unsupported distinctions connecting vaping and tobacco. This is how they do it folks. While we're not watching.

Good luck all and Happy New Years. :)

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Just received an alert from Alex Clark, CEO (CASAA), re Proposal 65…ostensibly proposes a referendum amending the FL constitution to proscribe public [indoor] vaping, to be placed on the ballot in Nov. This is horribly short notice for this apparently first public meeting of the Constitutional Revision Commission (CRC) on this issue. For this critical question with profound individual rights implications, participants will only be allowed 2 minutes to voice their opinion!

For what it's worth, here at the particulars…

Tuesday, February 6, 2018
1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Rick Case Arena at the Don Taft University Center (map)
3301 College Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314

Presently because the state preempts legislation on this matter private business and those who live in community environments are somewhat sheltered from frivolous local regulation. If this passes a great many vapers and vape enterprise owners may find themselves targeted by every street corner zealot.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Maybe I'm an odd duck, but I've never vaped where smoking was prohibited. I've just always figured it wasn't worth the hassle to push it. Where I worked smoking wasn't allowed, one would have to go outside, so I'd just go take a vape break.

I personally don't see a need for a law either though, I think it should be up to business/property owners. I have the right to tell someone to not do something at my home, so why shouldn't a commercial property owner have the same right?

Vaper or not, one can find other employment or places to do business if they don't agree, whole point of free market.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't like laws like this because they do sort of "take away" the free-market business right to do what they wish, with employees. If I were an employer I would vastly prefer a vaper on staff than a smoker, and this kind of blanket "stuff" makes it hard for everyone.

I mean... Public government buildings, okay, fine. There is no need to regulate for business what owners can do for themselves, if they so desire.

My last job finally put an anti-inside vaping policy in practice but on many sites, it was roundly ignored, depending on supervisor. Plus, you got a warning before being fired. I vaped indoors quite a bit, and would let clients vape if they wanted and were adults. No one cared.

Just more red tape.

Anna

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Maybe I'm an odd duck, but I've never vaped where smoking was prohibited. I've just always figured it wasn't worth the hassle to push it. Where I worked smoking wasn't allowed, one would have to go outside, so I'd just go take a vape break.

I personally don't see a need for a law either though, I think it should be up to business/property owners. I have the right to tell someone to not do something at my home, so why shouldn't a commercial property owner have the same right?

Vaper or not, one can find other employment or places to do business if they don't agree, whole point of free market.

Whenever I'm going to be frequenting someone else's property I always survey the landscape. I vape pretty much everywhere and those that matter there know I do. I've only run into a few exceptions and I don't frequent establishments that deny me having let them know exactly why. Ironically they themselves issue as much or more into their public spaces than a vaper would (from other sources). Go figure.

I'm always carrying and powered up ready to respond to both interest or objection. After all, ignorance is bliss for far too many and that is our specific problem here in this instance. The vast majority of the public wouldn't have a clue if such a categorically prejudicial prohibition were voted on in this state. Out of sight is out of mind will never promote a good perception of our community. But we can, as individuals.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Amend a state constitution to ban vaping at work? Wow this way overkill. What a bunch of .......

Actually it would likely result in much more such as bans at vape shops and possibly serve to nullify state preemption in great measure (depending on final form) as local jurisdictions right down to your condo assoc might be empowered to write regulation affecting your behavior and your home's salability. Just a few considerations beyond the wholesale intrusion into the principle of what is property.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Whenever I'm going to be frequenting someone else's property I always survey the landscape. I vape pretty much everywhere and those that matter there know I do. I've only run into a few exceptions and I don't frequent establishments that deny me having let them know exactly why. Ironically they themselves issue as much or more into their public spaces than a vaper would (from other sources). Go figure.

I'm always carrying and powered up ready to respond to both interest or objection. After all, ignorance is bliss for far too many and that is our specific problem here in this instance. The vast majority of the public wouldn't have a clue if such a categorically prejudicial prohibition were voted on in this state. Out of sight is out of mind will never promote a good perception of our community. But we can, as individuals.

I agree we have to personally show a good example of the vaping community, unfortunately there are some that don't. I deal with this all the time in another aspect of my life involving a certain amendment that many people hate, to each their own though, lol.

From my experience a lot of this is brought on by the "Clouds bro, clouds bro" type. Now not saying a thing is wrong with people who love clouds, I get it. It's just the people that seem to force things on others (remember the complaints of clouds in nonsmoking eateries), of course these are the same people that go to stores and stand in the middle of the aisle oblivious to anyone else in the world.

Then there are the types who complain about everything and such who push to have the laws passed. They again are like the above mentioned, get in the middle of a store and decide to have a reunion with everyone they know, blocking the whole aisle and again are oblivious. They actually aren't, they just don't care, as they (and their opinion) are all that matters.

There's just a lack of respect for others by so many, which is why we keep seeing all this stuff crop up. Then there's also a lack of personal responsibility and using common sense (which is no longer very common).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That practice above is what got me moving people's carts. Then, I decided that was equally obnoxious, and I don't anymore. I track them down with MY cart (sometimes coming in from the other direction, and say things like, "I believe you abandoned your cart back there, and I'm worried that someone has placed something inside it, you just never know around here...." and leave. It's also probably obnoxious, but at least might, MIGHT produce a behavior change.

LOL, it's probably a good thing the local Walmart STAFF likes me a lot.... :)

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread