Flanged/Non-flanged cartomizer ends for tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
As you already know, some tanks come with cartomizers that use a regular Boge cartomizer, like...

http://bigdaddyvapor.com/index.php?..._id=64&zenid=97d37cafcefaeaf60a851b9d8f6242bd

and some tanks come with cartomizers that have a flanged end, like.....

Tank Replacement Dual Coil Cartomizers, 1.5 ohms, Triple Hole

so, my question is this:

Can you use a non-flanged end cartomizer in a tank that originally came with a flanged end carto?
Has anyone ever tried this?

*Note: I know one picture has a regular carto that is not punched and one is single and one is dual, so don't pay any attention to that...just asking about the flanged end part.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I wouldn't, simply because the flange keeps the tank from slipping down and provides a pressure seal against the rubber stopper on the tank bottom. Once the seals are wet with liquid, and they will be to create a good seal, they get more slippery. Some people are also using a drip tip with a fat belly to help hold the top on tightly.

Slippage is not a problem, but I wouldn't use a carto without a flange. The first sign of excess slippage would be juice on your fingers!

Since the tank cartos always have a good supply of juice if the hole is sized correctly, you don't have to worry about the carto running dry and they last much longer. The $2.99 price looks expensive but you don't change them out as often.

Rttch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
Edmonton
I use cartos without a flange all of the time now. Dave does make a good point about a looser fitting tank that will slide without the flange. However, if you have a tight fitting tank (mine is a phiniac), then you can use the ones without a flange just fine. One other point is that the flange ones will already have a hole in them as they are meant to be in a tank (I'm assuming this anyway), so if you don't want to punch your own holes in a carto, then your second link would be the way to go.

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
Got some of these in vapemail today:
BOGE LOW RESISTANCE (2.0 ohm) 510 XL CARTOMIZERS

BOGE STANDARD RESISTANCE (2.9 ohm) 510 XL CARTOMIZERS

They work great in the Smoktech tanks with the flanged recess. I use a saddle valve to punch one hole using 75/25 PG/VG. One full turn after the "pop".
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...&langId=-1&keyword=saddle+valve&storeId=10051
Yes I'm too cheap to pay for the flanged cartos. I've been doing this for months and haven't had a problem with slippage.

010512_1512[00].jpg

P.S. Forgot to mention they're single coil XL cartos which I've been looking for!

Last edited:

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Thank you all for your responses! My dilema is, I've been using tanks where it's not necessary to have the flanged end cartos. I'm trying to make the switch from plastic tanks to glass and ordered two new tanks that have the flanged end cartos with them. Trying to order two different things is a pain! lol! So I was wondering if I could use the non-flanged end carto on these new tanks. As it so happened, they came in the mail today. I'm going to try putting a non-flanged carto in the tank and see what it does.

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
Thanks Keekers! Maybe it was the fact that I punched my own carto for the first time then.
No problem! :)
I'm still fairly new to this. If my tank starts leaking I'll make sure to update my post. :D
Are you punching with a saddle valve? I'm going to get myself one of those. The hammer and nail is kind of fun though...

I'm gonna have to agreed with Keekers on this one. I've been using non-flanged cartos on my Smoktech DCT's for months now with no problems. Well I did have two cartos leak. It's like there wasn't enough filler in the cartos to keep the juice out of the center air hole.
What kind of cartos donesmokin?

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
Which ones leaked? I think the first one was a flanged carto that came with the tank but it's been awhile, I could be wrong. I've got so many different carto types it's hard to keep track! I know the second one was a non-flanged 1.5 DC 'cuz I just pitched it out today after vapemail came. It seems to be a crap shoot to me. Some cartos just don't have enough filler in them to hold back the juice. That's just my opinion though.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
I did my very first carto punching yesterday with a hammer and nail. I think I might do better with a saddle valve. After I punched it and put it in the tank, it started leaking through the carto, not from around the carto, so I probably got my hole too big? I watched a YOUTUBE video that showed how to punch with a nail and hammer, but they didn't say what size nail to use.

I've got another question, in case anyone else shows up in here. I used to keep condoms on my cartos when I was using straight cartos, but since I've gone to tanks and drip tips I've not been putting condoms on them when not in use. I guess I figure with the tank system the carto won't dry out...Do you guys put condoms on your tank system when not vaping it?

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
The first time I used a nail and hammer was also the last time. Two big holes equalled one big leak! You have to get the carto centered under the punch or it will just kind of roll the carto. I turn the handle one full turn after the "pop" for the size hole I like, YMMV. After seeing how small the holes are on the prepunched Smoktechs I just go with one hole.

How to punch a hole in your cartomizer - YouTube

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
The first time I used a nail and hammer was also the last time. Two big holes equalled one big leak! You have to get the carto centered under the punch or it will just kind of roll the carto. I turn the handle one full turn after the "pop" for the size hole I like, YMMV. After seeing how small the holes are on the prepunched Smoktechs I just go with one hole.

How to punch a hole in your cartomizer - YouTube

Where did it leak from? I need to get something else to punch it. I started wrapping electric tape around the carto to keep it from rolling. That method looks a lot easier.... :laugh:

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
so, my question is this:

Can you use a non-flanged end cartomizer in a tank that originally came with a flanged end carto?
Has anyone ever tried this?

Yes you can. I'm presuming we are talking about a smoketek (inexpensive) DCT. You don't mention the device you want to use this with, tho. If it's an eGo-type device, you can use one of these...

EGO Stainless Steel 3.5ml DCT Tank Cone

This 'cone' provides a platform bottom so that the otherwise slide-y DCT can't slide downward. As mentioned in the thread, a 'pot belly' type of drip tip will deter the DCT from sliding upward as well. Together this works just fine.

If you're using something other than an eGo-type device, look into one of these...

J-TANK

The J-tank simply does not slide nor leak.

Signed,

Richie G (1959 too) LOL!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Good to know! How do you know when it's punched the carto then?

You can feel a little something when it goes thru, and I look in that one hole on the side to see how far down it's going.

If the top nut is just fingertight, it'll give good feedback. I also bring it down to almost touching the carto before I start.

A tiny, half turn after punching thru, kind of hole (2 of them), gives me good results on a boge and kanger.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread