Flashing eGo Battery, Fried or Salvageable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
We have an ego battery that just flashes in five-flash intervals, then a half-second pause then 5 flashes, ad nauseam. Here is a quick video of it happening...

Do you guys think it is just fried? We tried everything we could find, and nothing seems to make a difference.

Is there any safe way to open it?

Here is the video:

SkeetS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
A, A
Thats morse code dude!
Get on really high place like 8th floor or something and teach that baby to fly!

I am kidding.

First of all, since you made the video and if the battery is still under warranty, try and contact the vendor to hear what he says.
If i were a vendor i wouldn't even tell you to put that in the mail to send back (it probably won't blow up but then again you never know).
And because of the blowing up problem i also do not advise you to open and/or attempt to repair it.
If you do want to try, put the battery inside a can or somewhere where if it blows up it can't do any harm.
It will take a while to discharge but only when it's discharged i would try and open that thing.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Thats morse code dude!

First of all, since you made the video and if the battery is still under warranty, try and contact the vendor to hear what he says.
If i were a vendor i wouldn't even tell you to put that in the mail to send back (it probably won't blow up but then again you never know).
And because of the blowing up problem i also do not advise you to open and/or attempt to repair it.
If you do want to try, put the battery inside a can or somewhere where if it blows up it can't do any harm.
It will take a while to discharge but only when it's discharged i would try and open that thing.

Thanks for responding. I've contacted the vendor, and they asked me to ensure that there is no link on the connecting post and to ensure that the 5-click feature is not enabled. This is clearly not the case, but I understand that they have to ask. I hope that they replace the battery, as it was $22.00, but if they want it mailed to them, they can forget about it.

I agree that it shouldn't be shipped back, as something may seriously be wrong with it. We noticed that after 10 hours or so, it was still warm. Not hot, just warm enough to seem a bit unsettling. We are storing it outdoors until we get the OK to have it properly disposed of.

I'll keep the thread posted on the status.

Last edited:

thefreak48324

Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
I have had batteries do all kinds of weird things like that. I have an ego (reg size) right now that just flashes 5 times and the charger stays green. It actually had a charge when it started this. No it's a paper weight. It was 5 months old and needed to be replaced anyway. I have a 510 thin battery that still blinks randomly on and off for 5 months now. It doesn't work either.

Joye technology has a funny way of telling you your equipment has failed one way or another.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
I have had batteries do all kinds of weird things like that. I have an ego (reg size) right now that just flashes 5 times and the charger stays green. It actually had a charge when it started this. No it's a paper weight. It was 5 months old and needed to be replaced anyway. I have a 510 thin battery that still blinks randomly on and off for 5 months now. It doesn't work either.

Joye technology has a funny way of telling you your equipment has failed one way or another.

Yeah I just got the same issue with the flashing battery but "green" charger light, with a newish kGo battery. Vurry annoying

tsbrewers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
MN
www.facebook.com
I have a battery doing the exact same thing as the OP's video. Funny part is it started to do it a week or so ago, I put it on the charger for about 15 minutes, it quit flashing, so I set it aside. (didn't trust it) Now all of a sudden, it started flashing again tonight out of the blue. It has served me well for (see sig time) But I would like to figure out what is going on. I am tempted to grab the end with a pliers and just yank out the end to at least maybe keep it from blowing up.

Edit: for giggles I pulled mine apart. Really not sure what is going on, everything looked good, the switch was clean and not full of gunk, battery tests out at 3.7v, only thing could have been a bad connection, but it had a lot of bad connections after I pulled it apart. :) Kinda amazed that they could pack so much stuff around the switch. I mean the LEDs were SMALL! and yet almost blinding (there's 2 of them) when I pulled it apart and they were still flashing. My battery did say joye on it too.

Brew

Last edited:

vulture

Mar 27, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
Haven't used my ego-t since I got an epower about 2 months ago, Was cleaning up this morning and noticed 1 of my 3 ego batteries flashing.

So I picked it up and played with the switch and it stopped... for a while, then it started again.

While it was still flashing( and before I checked it with my DMM) I screwed an atomizer on it and could hear it frying!

I immediately unscrewed the atomizer and checked the battery with my DMM, NOTHING!, clicked the switch a few times to get it to stop flashing and set it aside for a few minutes.

Went back and it was flashing AGAIN!, Checked it with my DMM, 4.19v without the switch being depressed!:evil:

It's now sitting in a small metal coffee can, inside of a larger metal coffee can in my kitchen sink.

Any way to safely discharge these things for recycling? :confused:

Other than using it that is...:blush:

Rikaroo

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Arkansas
It's toast. I had one from LF and it did that. The good news is LF warranties egos for 6 months and rivas for 2 months. They readily shipped me a new one and a return pack for the faulty one since it was still under warranty. Also It is recommended not to screw on the batt while the charger is connected to the power source. Screw it on then plug it in.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
It's toast. I had one from LF and it did that. The good news is LF warranties egos for 6 months and rivas for 2 months. They readily shipped me a new one and a return pack for the faulty one since it was still under warranty. Also It is recommended not to screw on the batt while the charger is connected to the power source. Screw it on then plug it in.

Yeah, they definitely sent me a new one when I asked. All was sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread