Flavor ban in Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evesevere

Dec 5, 2017
Our governor in the state of Michigan wants to ban E juice flavors as early as tomorrow! That would literally give shops one month to get rid of their juice supplies and also cause anyone who vapes to have to use tobacco or menthol tobacco flavors.
This came up on very suddenly and we are trying to stop it by writing letters and calling our local representatives.

We do have people that are trying to get her “impeached“ which at this moment seems like a waste of time. Not to say I would love that but I think if you really want to make an impact signing this form letter and using your name and address will hopefully get the point across a lot quicker.
If you click on this link it takes you directly to a form style letter which all you have to do is put your name and a few other things in and it sends it for you so it’s super easy.
Also you can click the boxes so you do not receive email or text messages.

Even if you don’t live in Michigan you would be helping out a lot of your fellow vapors!
Thanks!!
MI - Stop Gov. Whitmer's Flavor Ban!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :)

This is pretty big news in these parts and several threads have been started on the subject. This thread may be merged into those threads. Iirc if you actually live in MI there are things you can do about it. There were details of some kind. I don’t live there so I didn’t pay attention but if you do you may want to read the thread.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Unfreakingbeliveable! I feel for you... this world can be so ars backwards. I suppose the only juice we should be allowed to vape is ashtray flavor... and it will be named ".... juice" :rolleyes:

If I ran out of smokes I would break up the butts in the ash tray and re roll them. Recreate that nasty crud flavour. It would be sure to deter the young uns.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So - some DATA....

Let's start with the FINAL TEXT of the Edict. It's NOT a LAW - it's an EDICT.... See Attached "Emergency Rules - FINAL".

Michigan becomes first state to ban flavored e-cigarettes, cites dangers of vaping

"The action will not ban unflavored or tobacco-flavored vaping products, according to a spokesperson for Whitmer."

Michigan's ban on flavored vaping products: What to know

"Are there any exceptions?
The rule is a ban on most flavored vape products, but it doesn't cover tobacco-flavored or unflavored vape products. It's mainly meant to target fruity and sweet flavors that attract young users. "

Hence? UNFLAVORED compounds are not subject to regulation.
The EDICT does not address Flavoring Materials, devoid of Nicotine.

I'm 67. Former Smoker for 48 years. Being that old? I remember the "Margarine Wars" in the 1940's-1950's :). Margarine could not be colored, like butter. THIS was defeated by selling Margarine with a separate packet of yellow food coloring.

So - given the EDICT....

1) You may sell unflavored EJUICE.
2) Nothing in the EDICT prevents you from selling common flavoring.
3) Nothing in the EDICT prevents you from selling BOTH, in a single transaction.
4) Nothing in the EDICT prevents a Vape Shop from reducing inventory, keeping unflavored EJuice on the RIGHT wall, and common flavoring components on the LEFT Wall.

Consider attacking this as what it is: a very POORLY written EDICT. In the end, MI would have to ban several common food grade elements, widely used. INSIST that they do so - and let's see how that works out :).
None of your links are actually functional including the bottom one. Perhaps an edit or repost is in order so we can see what you are seeing.

All I have to work with is the quotes you pulled. Even they have issues though.

Re: banning flavors.
1. The issue seems to be entirely the adulteration or replacement of FDA registered and controlled liquid with NON FDA liquids. Restricting liquid flavors does nothing to affect this problem.

2. The FDA ALREADY banned flavored liquids from being sold in gas stations on a national level. They did this because gas stations were the places where kids were getting their JUULs This ban attacks only vape shops which retained their flavor selling ability federally because they DID keep kids from acquiring product. This attacks only the groups that weren’t causing a problem in the first place.

Last edited:

Dr. Dean Marino

Moved On
Sep 6, 2019
None of your links are actually functional including the bottom one.

All I have to work with is the quotes you pulled. Even they have issues though.

Re: banning flavors.
1. The issue seems to be entirely the adulteration or replacement of FDA registered and controlled liquid with NON FDA liquids. Restricting liquid flavors does nothing to affect this problem.

2. The FDA ALREADY banned flavored liquids from being sold in gas stations on a national level. They did this because gas stations were the places where kids were getting their JUULs This ban attacks only vape shops which retained their flavor selling ability federally because they DID keep kids from acquiring product. This attacks only the groups that weren’t causing a problem in the first place.
I see that this site indicates "URL has been removed" - with all links. I can't fix that - it's a site choice.

Sorry to have bothered anyone.

No longer posting here.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I see that this site indicates "URL has been removed" - with all links. I can't fix that - it's a site choice.

No longer posting here.
NOooooo! There are ways to do the links so they work! That stuff is to prevent spammers and is automatic. We can talk you through it. It sounds like you’re exactly the right person to be involved in this.

Dr. Dean Marino

Moved On
Sep 6, 2019
NOooooo! There are ways to do the links so they work! That stuff is to prevent spammers and is automatic. We can talk you through it. It sounds like you’re exactly the right person to be involved in this.

Nope - going elsewhere. Tired of this sort of garbage.

Taking steps to eliminate posts, and obfuscate account. If you wanted real data? You would have engineered the site accordingly.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Taking steps to eliminate posts, and obfuscate account. If you wanted real data? You would have engineered the site accordingly.
You’re not familiar with exactly how bad the spam problem is then.

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada

No longer posting here.

You’re not familiar with exactly how bad the spam problem is then.
@Dr. Dean Marino
The site was set up that new members have to have 5 posts before URL's are allowed through. This is indeed to prevent spammers who join to infiltrate the site with spam links. And we do have endless spammers ..

New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."

Once you have reached 5 posts , the URLs your links should then be ok but I will recheck with tech team to reconfirm if not.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

Hi and welcome,
We have all been there; the first couple of months off of cigarettes I was even more cranky than normal.
Little "nothings" become day destroyers...It was not much fun for myself and those around me.

It sucks, but I had to Vape through it!
It is worth it....I promise.

You can do it!

You have your five posts, give the server time to update (1-2 hours is typical) and you should have full member privileges.

Welcome to the ECF and best of luck in your journey away from 48 years of cigarettes!

Hope to see you around.
Remember ECF is FREE to browse for members and non-members alike. (Lurkers welcome)

Cheers
I

• Agree

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
If I ran out of smokes I would break up the butts in the ash tray and re roll them. Recreate that nasty crud flavour. It would be sure to deter the young uns.

It's funny you say that. Many years ago (20+), my mother quit smoking through a support group. It took her several years, but she did finally quit. One of the last things they told her to do, is during the last few weeks, save every cigarette .... she had and put it in an airtight jar. If she ever felt the need to smoke, pour water on those butts and smell before you light up.

She hasn't smoked in over 20 years. :)

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Governor Wretched

69984914_10156760634773277_2450380620208013312_n.jpg

cm4cd

Sep 7, 2019
Do Nicorrettes have a tobacco flavor? No. They primarily use mint flavors. Few if any smokers in their right mind would use tobacco flavors in vaping to quit. Banning mint (and menthol) makes zero sense - and makes quitting harder. Banning candy flavors I can understand. Though I can't imagine how they can stop vapers from mixing their own.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread