Not open for further replies.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Some E-Cigarette Flavors May Be More Harmful Than Others

An article in America's news magazine "The Atlantic" looks at whether certain combinations of flavors should be studied further.
Published Nov 28 2017 the peice is titled
It’s difficult for researchers to uncover what even goes into different vape juices.

Its an interesting read. I balk at anything suggesting a health problem without actual peer reviewed studies to back it up. I dont mean to share this as any statement of fact what so ever, just a look at the media's reveiw of e cigs.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
From the referenced article:
Tarran points out that these toxicity assays in kidney cells don’t necessarily predict overall health effects in humans, and that at this point, direct comparisons to the toxicity of conventional cigarettes aren’t feasible.
Not feasible, eh? That seems like a cop-out. Why not expose some of those kidney cells or tadpoles to some honest-to-goodness tobacco smoke and tell us what happens?

Could it be that the reason it's "not feasible" is because the subject cells (or tadpoles) would all be dead and this would then force these "scientists" to admit that although vaping might not be 100% safe, it's way safer than smoking?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
On a slow news day why not pick on the vapers. Getting started I absorbed the hype about questionable flavoring, concerning by products of over heated liquid, abused batteries, blah blah blah. So my preferred vape is low power and minimal flavoring on a regulated mod, not because it's "safer", just my preference.

Right now it's all about scare tactics. May be some day there will be people who know what they are talking about and they will feel free to give actual informed helpful advice based on something besides politics and profits and may be we will trust them instead of assuming they are self interested liars.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Cigarettes have far more nasty things in them than most flavors do.

I think this debate is over, Beams. :) Seriously, vaping won. Even the worst ANTZ like Stanton Glantz and Mitch Zeller had to admit, in public, on the record, that vaping is safer than smoking, so we don't need to relitigate it anymore.

But there are vapers who are interested in knowing more about potential risks associated with vaping, no matter how insignificant. Ecigs are new and we are inhaling all kinds of stuff that we probably never inhaled before in such massive quantities. I welcome studies and am willing to adjust my vaping style if necessary to avoid totally avoidable dangers. What's wrong with that?

Vape on!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
In your face flavor helps keep me from smoking. I basically vape fruits without creams or custards. I refuse to worry about it. I'm not smoking and right now that's enough for me.

I understand that argument. I was never a big-flavor or big-clouds person, so avoiding or minimizing risks was easy for me. But even vapers who like lots of flavor can easily avoid diketones if they choose their eliquids carefully. And if you DIY, FA flavors have been tested and their test results are posted on their website. I love FA--their flavors are really good and very concentrated, so you only need to use tiny amounts (2-3%).

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I understand that argument. I was never a big-flavor or big-clouds person, so avoiding or minimizing risks was easy for me. But even vapers who like lots of flavor can easily avoid diketones if they choose their eliquids carefully. And if you DIY, FA flavors have been tested and their test results are posted on their website. I love FA--their flavors are really good and very concentrated, so you only need to use tiny amounts (2-3%).
I'm lucky with my diy in that most flavors with diketones don't interest me. I do have 3 that do. I only use them occasionally in very small percentages. Big clouds aren't for me, I get enough lung hit to suit me at 23-40w, depending on build.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm lucky with my diy in that most flavors with diketones don't interest me.

I'm not sure what flavors you mean, but, just FYI, Farsalinos found very high levels of diketones in fruit flavors--which was a huge surprise to him and to most of us. We all thought that only buttery, dairy flavors were suspect; that turned out no to be the case.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'm not sure what flavors you mean, but, just FYI, Farsalinos found very high levels of diketones in fruit flavors--which was a huge surprise to him and to most of us. We all thought that only buttery, dairy flavors were suspect; that turned out no to be the case.
Every site I order flavors from have warnings on flavors with diketones, etc. None of the fruits I've ordered has those warnings. Couple of them have sugar or cracks tank warnings. I'll look into fruit flavorings more closely. Thank you for the heads up.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)

An article in America's news magazine "The Atlantic" looks at whether certain combinations of flavors should be studied further.
Published Nov 28 2017 the peice is titled
It’s difficult for researchers to uncover what even goes into different vape juices.

Its an interesting read. I balk at anything suggesting a health problem without actual peer reviewed studies to back it up. I dont mean to share this as any statement of fact what so ever, just a look at the media's reveiw of e cigs.

PS:FYI- I didn't break link as I interpret this as generally interesting to vapors? If you Dis= l.m.k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I vape DIY mixes with diketones. I don't worry about it because I am far more worried about possible toxic effects from my green bean consumption. There has never been, and never will be, any long term studies to determine that green beans are safe to eat. No one can say that they are not responsible for the rise in cancer rates. Or any other malady of your choice. Same is true of all the foods we eat, by the way. Don't mean to pick on those poor green beans.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm fairly certain that I do as well, since I didn't go on a quest to find every flavor without diketones. I mean, I didn't set out on my vaping adventure to make vaping safer than air. I do avoid cinnamon and vanillas as they tend to get me hoarse. I kind of feel as though my body will let me know if anything disastrous is happening in my vape, not to mention my docs. They all seem fairly happy with my vaping health improvements and not one of them asked me the flavors I was using either.

My body does TELL me if something isn't good for me, and had been telling me for years that cigarettes were a disaster. I just tended to ignore it until it got really BAD.

I have NEVER felt the way I did since I quit smoking, not one time. I've already had a head cold and vaped through it without a SINGLE bronchial issue.

If I were on a quest to avoid diketones I'm afraid that common sense would turn me into a gluten free, additive free, organic type of person and I'm not entirely sure that I want to be that person. I would like to die someday, and am not on a quest for eternal youth.... :) I certainly select vaping "worries" to pay attention to, but my flavors just aren't one of them.

Anna

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I'm fairly certain that I do as well, since I didn't go on a quest to find every flavor without diketones. I mean, I didn't set out on my vaping adventure to make vaping safer than air. I do avoid cinnamon and vanillas as they tend to get me hoarse. I kind of feel as though my body will let me know if anything disastrous is happening in my vape, not to mention my docs. They all seem fairly happy with my vaping health improvements and not one of them asked me the flavors I was using either.

My body does TELL me if something isn't good for me, and had been telling me for years that cigarettes were a disaster. I just tended to ignore it until it got really BAD.

I have NEVER felt the way I did since I quit smoking, not one time. I've already had a head cold and vaped through it without a SINGLE bronchial issue.

If I were on a quest to avoid diketones I'm afraid that common sense would turn me into a gluten free, additive free, organic type of person and I'm not entirely sure that I want to be that person. I would like to die someday, and am not on a quest for eternal youth.... :) I certainly select vaping "worries" to pay attention to, but my flavors just aren't one of them.

Anna
If you do ever go on a quest to avoid diketones, stop drinking coffee and for God's Sake stop grinding coffee beans in your kitchen, and stay the hell away from Starbucks or any other coffee shops. Even sniffing ground coffee from a commercial can of ground coffee is like putting nails in your coffin, just like vaping that stuff.

A little discussed fact is that popcorn lung has been found in employees of commercial coffee roasting/grinding plants (it may be extremely rare but so is popcorn plant popcorn lung). A study was done of the levels of diacetyl in coffee shops. The baristas had the highest doses because they are grinding beans all day, but significant levels were found in the customer "lounge" areas. That study never got any legs, though. I wonder why?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I spent my last twenty years of smoking worrying about smoking. My vape style puts me at low risk and I refuse to spend twenty years worrying about my vape. After 46yrs of smoking the damage is done. Going to enjoy the pleasure I get from vaping.

marianna

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
Netherlands
If I were on a quest to avoid diketones I'm afraid that common sense would turn me into a gluten free, additive free, organic type of person
I'm not that kind of person, but I am vaping now for 10 years, so, if I can avoid the risk of diketones, I do. Also because I am 68 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread