Status
Not open for further replies.

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
I've tried The Berserker and a Kayfun 5 in my recent quest to find a MTL RTA that can provide a satisfying amount of flavor with unflavored juice. So far, I'm mostly disappointed.

A short (recent) history; I've been vaping mostly unflavored juice for the last 4-5 years. Every once in a while I'll shake it up with Banana, but that is literally it. I've been using an OBS Engine (dual coil, .4ohm, DTL, 3mg, 45w) for about a year now (Goliath before that) and it gives off incredible flavor with my unflavored juice. This is understandable since it is burning through about 3-4x the juice per pull compared to a MTL setup. I'm looking to make the switch to lower watt, MTL vaping mostly to cut down on my juice consumption...I currently burn through about 25-30ml a day! I DIY, so cost is not an issue, it's more of an issue of trying to indulge in moderation.

TLDR; If any of you use unflavored juice exclusively, I'd love to hear your recommendations for "flavor" MTL RTAs!

Recently discovered the mega-thread on the SXK Doggystyle and it looks very promising. Does it provide better flavor than the Berserker?

Reactions: stols001

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I'm a long time unflavored user but sorry not a builder. I just wanted to say that I believe that the senses get dulled with time.
    I got a vape one day out of the blue that tasted close to what it was like in the beginning and it was very nice!
    Drinking ice water helps some. I change brands occasionally too and that also helps.

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    I use unflavored in my Doggystyle RTA (SXK clone from FT, link - use code MAP for about $4 off). Before that, I really liked my KFL+ (Kayfun Lite Plus) clones. Ones I used were by EHPro; they're hard to find these days but there are others available which I'm sure work just as well. The Doggy provides a similar experience to the KFL, but it's easier to fill. Both give a nice dense "mouth-feel" with a slightly sweet taste, and just enough "kick" in my throat at 6mg so I don't feel like I'm smoking air.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I asked someone who had many devices and tanks about this years back and they just responded that it was unflavored - what did I expect, lol.
    I only run a few tanks here and they all taste different but none stands out really. Pretty much why I stay with drop-ins plus I certainly get longevity.
    I'd certainly switch if we could find something that would make it taste as good as when we started. Maybe a year off and come back??

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I vape unflavored more than half the time. I usually mix it from 70pg/30VG to 50/50. Flavor is better with more VG in the unflavored mix just because of the sweetness of VG. I frequently add a shot (10% or so) of one of my flavored juices to give the unflavored a light flavor. Other times I just like unflavored by itself when I get tired of flavors.

Kayfun Lite is my main vape, with a switch to Beserker, Ares, or Siren 2 here and there. The last three are better flavor tanks than the Kayfun, IMO. But, Kayfun is just a tank that I've used forever and it works well with unflavored.

The Yeti

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Black Hills, SD
    Unflavored is definitely NOT unflavored...it has quite a bit of flavor in the right setup.

I think I may be getting somewhere! I wound up a couple of .8ohm coils last night...one for the K5 and one for the Berserker, both running at 15w...and flavor is definitely improved. While still nowhere near the level of flavor from a dual coil setup, I think I'm on the right track.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Oh, and I ordered up a Doggy Style and Berserker Mini from FT. :)
    I haven't used the Berserker, but you're gonna love the DS. Which one did you get? The SXK has a smaller airflow at the coil (1.8mm) and is best suited for tight MTL. The SJMY one has a larger hole at the coil (I think it's 2.3mm) and is provides a looser MTL or restricted DL according to users (I only have the SXK version). I don't know about the other "generic" ones they have, all the talk seems to be about the SXK version.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    All i vape is unflavored, mainly MTL. My daily drivers are a SJMY Doggy style that i use during the day with 20 mg nicotine. A SXK Doggy style at night with 30 mg nicotine. That is all i have used for 18 months. Recently i got a Geekvape Zeus which i occasionally use DL with 4.5 mg nicotine. I stopped looking for other tanks as these fill my needs perfectly. The SXK is 1.6mm airflow under the coil,the SJMY IS 2.3 mm.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I don't usually vape unflavored. I will say, I prefer the doggy style to the Berserker as far as draw, but I like things a little less restricted (although the Doggy can be pretty restricted). For flavor, it's fantastic, although the Berserker is too.

Of the more recent-ish RTAs I'd say my favorite is the doggy/Siren V2 (the 2 ml version I prefer it's 22 mm) followed by the Berserker and the Ares.

I haven't had the best of luck with Kayfuns, I'm not the hugest fan of Juice control tanks, but to be fair, I don't have an original, only clones. But, they just seem to provide a lot of inconsistency. I'm probably not wicking or using them correctly.

I would highly recommend trying a doggy style and since you have one on order, that's great.

Anna

Reactions: The Yeti

Carnage9270

ECF Veteran
    Feb 27, 2015
    Washington
    I don't vape "non-flavored" per se as I use around 5% koolada in a 50/50 mix at around 9mg. Just gives a little extra throat hit and a slight cooling sensation. Goes well with the sweetness of the VG. I've pretty much gone to my berserker and the evolve 75c with the new replay feature. Not sure I'll be changing any time soon, checks all my boxes for a satisfying vape.

FYI, I actually drilled out my center airflow on the berserker with a 1/16th drill bit as I like the airflow better. Also took the oring off the top cap so it doesn't backfeed pressure when I fill it. Managed to pick up a bunch of Berserkers on sale for $12 so I'm good for quite a while.

Last edited:

The Yeti

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Black Hills, SD
    Unflavored is definitely NOT unflavored...it has quite a bit of flavor in the right setup.

I think I may be getting somewhere! I wound up a couple of .8ohm coils last night...one for the K5 and one for the Berserker, both running at 15w...and flavor is definitely improved. While still nowhere near the level of flavor from a dual coil setup, I think I'm on the right track.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

OK, I spoke too soon. :(

After vaping on with the .8ohm coils (vs. 1.5ohm), I've been getting a lot of burnt tasting hits today. This is at 15w, I can lower it to 10w and no burnt taste, but less vapor than I prefer.

Currently back on the "cloud machine" until I can get home and make some adjustments. I think I'll shoot for a 1.0-1.2ohm coil and see what that gets me.

I'm just wrapping a regular ol' Kanthal coil (26ga). I have always done micro coils (coils touching), but last night when I installed the .8ohm I did a spaced coil. Could that maybe cause the burnt hits? These are not dry hits, just a burnt juice taste....like maybe I'm getting hot spots.

ah64ace

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 22, 2013
    SC
    I have been vaping "flavorless" home made juice for several years. I mix 100 ml at a time and use 66 ml PG -30 ml VG and 4 ml 100 mg Nic. I use a Voopoo DRAG with a Kayfun 5 on top. My coils are 26 AWG SS. I wrap 6 wraps around an 8-32 screw which spaces the coils perfectly. This comes out to a .52 ohm coil. I vape this at 60 watts at 350 F. May be be too hot for some but it works for me and I get great flavor. I am a DL vaper and don't want huge clouds of vapor because I have to stealth vape in the bathroom at work by exhaling into toilet paper. Just makes a wet spot on the paper and no tell tale signs. The unflavored juice leaves no odors too. I have stealth vaped like this in the bathrooms on airplanes several times with no one suspecting anything. People can smell flavored juices though.

Last edited:

Mada

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 21, 2014
    Egypt
    For the OP, to switch from DTL to MTL, you have to change your eliquid. You said 3mg and I expect it to be 70%Vg. For MTL, you have to increase your Nic to 6mg minimum and you may need to change it to 50/50.For the flavor, you will never get the same flavor from this completely different setups. Vaping on dual coil 40 watt, is totally different than single coil at 12-15 watt. So, you are just used to the old setup flavor because you used it for too long.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread