Flavor Wicks Scorching???

Status
Not open for further replies.

State Of Zen

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Colorado
Hey all, quick question. I just started trying the Kanger ProTank 2. After every couple of tanks of juice, I go to clean it and dry burn the coil. When I take it apart, I notice that the flavor wicks are burnt. What could I be doing wrong? I keep it vertical during vaping, so I'm not sure if I am just taking draws from it that are too long or that I'm not giving it the time it needs to re-wick after each draw? I vape Boba's (nearly 100% VG), so maybe I should be cleaning/dry burning after every tank? I'm using 2.2 ohm heads and vape at 6.5 - or 7.0 watts (if that is helpful information). Help. Thanks. :blink:

State Of Zen

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Colorado
I have a similar problem with a thicker, darker juice (coffee with chocolate, almond, and caramel). I can't get it to wick properly and I burn every wick when I vape it, including cotton, even when I turn the voltage way down.

Exactly. It's just the flavor wicks burning, the actual wick in the coil is fine though. I can't figure it out. Hopefully we can find a solution in this thread. :)

SAG

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
STL
The flavor wicks in your protank are not actually burnt. It's "caramelized" juice. When I clean and do a dry burn, I take the flavor wicks with tweezers and hold them in a flame on my gas stove until they're pretty and white again. Rinse all the burnt ash off, dry and use. Darker sweeter juices tend to do this quickly. I hope this helps!

SAG

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
STL
When you get the carmelized juice built up on the coil and flavor wick, it chokes off the coil from getting juice. So it will taste burnt. The trick is to keep it clean. Maybe try rinsing the whole coil head with hot water nightly. Then do a clean and dry burn every couple of days. (Be sure after dry burn to rinse off burnt ash) It helps to rotate coils nightly. Use one one day, clean, etc., let dry for the next day. Use another one the next day and then that night rinse and clean and leave to dry while you're using the other. This has worked for me, maybe it will help you too?

I don't use RDAs, so someone else will have to try and help with that. :)

Last edited:

State Of Zen

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Colorado
The flavor wicks in your protank are not actually burnt. It's "caramelized" juice. When I clean and do a dry burn, I take the flavor wicks with tweezers and hold them in a flame on my gas stove until they're pretty and white again. Rinse all the burnt ash off, dry and use. Darker sweeter juices tend to do this quickly. I hope this helps!

This never even occurred to me, but makes sense! Thanks, will definitely give it a shot.:toast:

State Of Zen

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2013
Colorado
Take the flavor wicks out, they work much better without them, I do this on every new head I use in my protanks, and T3S's and I never have a problem.
I use a DIY 80pg/20vg mix.

Thanks for the response. One question though, would that cause too much liquid to get to the coil and make it start leaking? Sorry for such a n00b question.

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
Thanks for the response. One question though, would that cause too much liquid to get to the coil and make it start leaking? Sorry for such a n00b question.
Not at all, the only time I get a leak is if I let it get real low, but that happens with the wicks in place too.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
When you get the carmelized juice built up on the coil and flavor wick, it chokes off the coil from getting juice. So it will taste burnt. The trick is to keep it clean. Maybe try rinsing the whole coil head with hot water nightly. Then do a clean and dry burn every couple of days. (Be sure after dry burn to rinse off burnt ash) It helps to rotate coils nightly. Use one one day, clean, etc., let dry for the next day. Use another one the next day and then that night rinse and clean and leave to dry while you're using the other. This has worked for me, maybe it will help you too?
But the burnt taste starts after only two or three hits :(

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
While many claim that removing flavor wicks helps, I've found that doing that increased problems with flooding and gurgling, especially with the thinner juices.

Wick material is cheap. If your flavor wicks start getting gunked up, get yourself some 1mm silica wick and use a short piece of that to replace the two tiny flavor wicks that are in the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread