Flavoring revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Since I understood virtually nothing our resident scientist/math wiz wrote in the other flavoring thread, I'll start a new one.

Last week, I was looking for a tube-cylinder small enough to carry in the Janty Kissbox tote case. That tote case, for those who don't have one, is wallet-sized, with insets to accept batteries and switches, etc. I needed a tube roughly the size of a Janty battery to fit into a slot.

Then it struck me: The fragrance sample tubes using for men's colognes would be perfect. I have tons of 'em. I found a Ralph Lauren Polo tube and emptied its contents down the sink. Whoa. The entire room smelled of Polo. So did every other sink drain in the house!

I washed the tube thoroughly with tap water to get rid of the perfume. Then I filled it with home brew liquid and took it with me. These perfume tubes absolutely never leak. That would be a disaster. And mine didn't leak. Later, I poured a few drops into a drying cartridge and began puffing at my daughter's house. Hmmm. I smelled/tasted Polo. My daughter asked where the sweet smell was coming from. Yikes. The tube had contained enough fragrance to change the e-liquid fluid! It now tasted of Polo.

I emptied it, cleaned it, packed it with baking soda to absorb the odor and let it sit for a week. Then I washed it and started over again. But I'd learned something about essential oils and fragrance. You don't need to see them to get a hit from them. In fact, nasal snuff and pipe tobacco will absorb the taste/aroma of any strong fragrance left with them in a closed tin!

To start with, I put 1mg of e-liquid in a vial. It was a home brew, vanilla base. Then I pulled out three bottles of essential oils used to add fragrance for soap making: Vanilla, grape and peach. Believe it or not, those are the most popular choices among buyers of "aromatic" cigars, along with strawberry.

I decided to go with peach, the flavor of the last "little cigars" that I used regularly before quitting. I dipped a toothpick into the peach oil and let some soak in. Then I put the toothpick in the 1mg vial of e-liquid. I left it perhaps 10 seconds and removed it. No drip. No measurable amount.

And the peach flavor and odor is mind-bogglng as I'm now puffing peach e-liquid.

I filled my Polo tube.

Ready.

tifacloud

Aug 8, 2008
very interesting point your brought up, TB. I had never thought of this before. Now that you mentioned, perhaps the taste of tobacco could be "transfused" to the e-liquid simply by storing both in the same container respectively. It would be much cleaner than simmering and draining the tobacco. After all, tobacco is the only flavor that you can't get from the typical flavoring essence.

That should work, getting the essence of the tobacco in the juice, however, you would need another step.
PG, and VG for that matter, absorb moister, but, the tobacco would have to be in the process of giveing up moister, or essence for it to absorb.
A wider area of the juice would help as well, trying to get it to absorb moister through the small opening of a bottle is harder. Spreading it out in a pan/plate might help the process a little, giveing more area open to the essence.
I am not sure how to get the tobacco to give off its moister for one
Just some of my thoughts on the subject.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That's even more expensive, once shipping is added, than the source I already had found. The way to use something like this is to soak a toothpick in the oil, then dip the toothpick into the e-liquid for a short time. We are talking a TINY transfer of flavor. No one wants to inhale any quantity of any oil!

Candles and Candle Supplies - Dad's Pipe Tobacco Fragrance Oil/candle Scent

Bob,
I just read Natures Gifts site.
For $3us they will send out a few samples of their products. It should be plenty to see if it works, if not make a few batches, since we dont need large quantitys.

*just looked, that one is Aroma, not flavor anyway. the stuff for candles (i didnt read it all) is not always good for taste.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA

jigtg

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2008
Sparta, Greece
Thats just TB wanting to do human experiments on himself. Don't mind about him. You know you could find some quality products if you wanted to. Jumping straigh to some trash quality Tobacco Fragrance Oil we know nothing about is pretty stupid if you ask me. Stick to the http://webdeb.com/oils/gras-safety.htm list until we find more about these things. That is if you absolutelly have to play with EOs. TropicalBob, you are supposed to do the filtering before simmering not after.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Brian,
I could taste peppermint (Bickford's by the way), but the menthol was pretty powerful. Maybe my next try will be to skip the alcohol and use your idea of melting the crystals in Bickford's. I also have Creme DeMenthe Bickford's which is a bit stronger taste than the peppermint, but it's just a little bottle. Perhaps the sacrifice is worth it.

jigtg

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2008
Sparta, Greece
http://webdeb.com/oils/gras-safety.htm looks like a multi-level marketing company to me. I try to stay away from those because the mark-up is always too high. Any other companies anybody can recommend?

I was not referring to the company. Some of those essential oils had text "GRAS" next to it. Maybe this "GRAS" means something..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread