Flavorings and Medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.

invididual

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Lakeland, FL
For lack of a better place to put this, I chose here, if I chose wrong, please move it where it belongs.

I, like a lot of folks, DIY and as a result have multiple flavors from multiple companies. My question is this:

my daughter just got an antibiotic from the Dr for her ear infection, what brand, if any, are safe to use to flavor it for her?

BakuPeg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Gainesville, Ga
Most (if not all?) like 99.99% of the usual DIY flavors are food grade but are used for vaping. If you want to flavor the antibiotic I would feel safe using a tiny bit of any Food grade (un mixed) flavor. Plus you can use a little sugar.

Wasn't there a song.. "A Spoon full of sugar lets the medicine go down.."

I found it! Though I wouldn't use an entire spoonful eek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnoR9cBP3o
I wish I could clean my house like that...

Anyway Capellas gives many examples of good uses for their flavorings on their site:
Flavor ANY Type of Food or Beverage Capella Flavor Drops are a water soluble, highly concentrated multi-purpose flavoring.
Flavor Drops have a wide range of uses:

Flavoring Protein Shakes
Add Flavor to Smoothies
Great for Desserts and Baking
Flavor Coffee and Tea
Naturally Flavor Plain Water or Sparkling Water

They are actually very good in Tea.

I hope she is feeling better.

Last edited:

haiqu

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Bundarra NSW
Flavorings that i know are food grade:
FA
TPA/TFA
Loranns
Capella

So any of those...

From the post above, i must not use flavorings made for vaping for most my stuff.

From the TPA website:

"Inhalation of flavor chemical blends by use of electronic cigarettes
is a popular and more chemically pure alternative to traditional
tobacco smoking. However, please note that this use of our products
is a relatively new practice, and has not been safety-tested by any
official organizations."

I'm pretty sure that investigation of the other suppliers will show similar disclaimers. What you "know" and what you can prove seem to be different here. Using best practices and food grade ingredients is NOT the same as a product being "food grade" per FDA requirements. Flavor Art isn't even required to meet these standards, since they're in Italy.

I would never recommend adding flavouring made for vaping to medicines, this decision must be made entirely by the end user based on their own research. Again, this is not the same as me saying it's unsafe, but the legal minefield this may open up isn't worth the hassles.

According to my reading of the psychotic laws, to make such a recommendation is tantamount to practicing medicine without a licence.

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
I would recommend something fruity. Let her smell a few and ask her which one she likes best. As hoosier said, anything from those companies are food grade and are edible.
Tobacco flavorings are obviously out; Because they have small amounts of nicotine and don't taste good.

Goodluck. I hope the little one feels better soon! :)

@ haiqu- The flavoring used in e-juice are food grade. That disclaimer is meant for us DIY people who are using the flavors for our juices, which is not its intended purpose. The purpose of the flavorings is to flavor foods. If a flavoring has natural flavoring, pg, and PGA it would be completely safe to eat. Do you agree?
Although, I would be a bit hesitant giving my child juices containing triactin or anything else not listed above, with maybe the exception of artificial flavoring.

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
You bring up a good point. Here is some quotes from the flavor apprentice website.

The Flavor Apprentice

We have formed a new division for our company, called

This enables us to separate our two distinct product offerings,
and allows us to enhance the labels that you will see on our flavors. We hope that this step will eliminate any confusion between our Perfumery and our Flavor products.

Our flavors are suitable for a wide range of applications, both Culinary and Cosmetic.
What is important is that a flavor will only consist of ingredients that are certified as Food Safe.

INHALATION SAFETY
Inhalation of flavor chemical blends by use of electronic cigarettes
official organizations.
He said he want to put some in her medicine to flavor it. Not have her inhale it.

There are also companies that specialize in just flavor manufacturing, but no matter how big or small, all flavor manufacturers are subject to very rigorous requirements, especially in the U.S. (*** We are not a flavor manufacturing company. We merely re-sell flavors - see Part I).
What is important is that a flavor will only consist of ingredients that are certified as Food Safe.

Last edited:

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
For lack of a better place to put this, I chose here, if I chose wrong, please move it where it belongs.

I, like a lot of folks, DIY and as a result have multiple flavors from multiple companies. My question is this:

my daughter just got an antibiotic from the Dr for her ear infection, what brand, if any, are safe to use to flavor it for her?

When you fill out the prescription ask the pharmacist to give you flavoring for your daughter's medicine. They provide it free of charge. If you've already filled the prescription, go back to the pharmacy you got it from and ask them.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
From the TPA website:

"Inhalation of flavor chemical blends by use of electronic cigarettes
official organizations."

I'm pretty sure that investigation of the other suppliers will show similar disclaimers. What you "know" and what you can prove seem to be different here. Using best practices and food grade ingredients is NOT the same as a product being "food grade" per FDA requirements. Flavor Art isn't even required to meet these standards, since they're in Italy.

I would never recommend adding flavouring made for vaping to medicines, this decision must be made entirely by the end user based on their own research. Again, this is not the same as me saying it's unsafe, but the legal minefield this may open up isn't worth the hassles.

According to my reading of the psychotic laws, to make such a recommendation is tantamount to practicing medicine without a licence.

The OP was asking about adding flavoring to an oral med. You are going off on inhaling.

There are plenty of threads on flavoring being used to make juice so the vapor can be inhaled where you can drag your soapbox to. When I point out food flavoring to be used in orally ingested stuff is NOT the same as pointing out flavoring made for vaping.

Go have some fun. Check out Lorann's site and bring quotes back from where it was made for vaping. Then head over to Capella's site and do the same. FA's site use to have a disclaimer on it that they were for food flavoring only. (Been awhile since I've been there so I don't know if it still is there since the study they funded on inhalation started being published.) TPA used to be a perfumist site and kinda' got dragged into the vaping world as we were buying her stuff for completely different uses, so she started bringing in food grade ingredients and started catering to us. There are even a number of flavoring she has created that she states are for food use only and shouldn't be used for vaping. (Anyone who knows about the aluminum bottles from TPA, or how all glass bottles came with droppers, should be able to remember when we were grabbing chemicals off her site before she found out what was going on.)

I don't really see how flavoring candy (Loranns), flavoring liquid post stomach surgery nutrition (Capella), bakery goods (FA), etc, in anyway compares to vaping it. I can see where it compares to flavoring an oral med for a child though. It is more like cooking or parenting than anything close to practicing medicine.

There are plenty of threads here you can drag your ideas to where they could be germane to the discussion. I completely fail to see any semblance of such in this thread.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
I'm going to close this thread since the OP 's concern has been answered and the situation solved.

I'd like to point out that making sweeping statements without understanding the situation only confuses newbies that might follow the thread.

Fact: most of the flavorings used by DIY enthusiasts are indeed food grade and safe for consumption.
Inhalation is not pertinent to this discussion therefore injecting FUD into the equation is not needed and not wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread