Flavorings not vaping right for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChainSmkr

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
USA
I've tried both Bickford and LorAnn flavorings in my DIY e-liquid but its just not the same. Now both brands smell and taste wonderful, but IMHO they just don't vape right (flavorful) no matter how strong I make it. Sooo, my question:

What exactly do the Chinese use to make their e-liquid? That's what I'd like to purchase. I've searched several Chinese web sites but can't find any DIY sections. If anyone knows chinese or can help me out with this search it'd be greatly appreciated. I had a serious language barrier problem.

I've also found a product called Tasty Puff which is a liquid flavoring used to spray on tobacco (for those that roll their own). When I contacted them, they could not/would not provide me with a list of ingredients but did say that it's FDA approved GRAS stuff. I'm getting ready to try it under the assumption that its likely PG and some type of flavoring. Anyone have any experience with Tasty Puff?

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
TastyPuff: I tried to get them to tell me the ingredients also; and like with you, they didn't want to. I then sent a next email with the question if they could at least tell me which tasty-puffs were not on an oil-base, and I got the answer that they thought that all of them had oil in them.

Maybe they weren't sure of that answer, they didn't sound it... perhaps they all are made out of essential oils, so oil indeed, but are based on PG... but I left without buying at that point, and if you want to go on I would most certainly advise you to first get a bunch of spare atomizers, seeing their life will be very short if these are indeed oil-based. Also, I won't be telling you not to worry about what goes on in lungs that are vaping oil... IF these have oil as base. (I found this too uncertain whether it was the case or not to take the risk to continue into the stage of actually buying any of them, but your choice is yours of course - just be careful of yourself okay?) Good luck on this.

Retina_Burn

Mar 12, 2009
Kansas USA
Agreed, I've followed a few peoples recipes and all that I have concocted were all on the waxy taste side of things. I'll probably try again but it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks that this DIY stuff isn't going to do it for me. I really like the sweet stuff and I cannot seem to figure out how to get it sweet. It was worth a try I guess. I might very well be doing something wrong but I followed a few recipes to the letter and sill get a very waxy VG taste. And it seems to hang on to my atomizer and kill the flavor of anything else I put in.

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
Look around the forums and you can find where various chemical analysis has been done on commercial liquids. You will find Tobacco absolute and Tobacco essential oil, but also some mysterious chemicals. If you look up the chemicals you will find that a majority of them are common to the perfume/fragrance industry.

Jaaxx

Retina_Burn

Mar 12, 2009
Kansas USA
OK ....... need to post an update to previous post. I figured out what was going on and it is something I'd like feedback on if possible. I use an RN 4081 that was sold to me as a DSE901. *CAUTION* these things run pretty damn hot, at least all 4 of mine have. It was getting too hot for VG I'm pretty sure. Produced a waxy flavorless vape no matter the amount of flavoring and was very bland. no sweetness at all. I have since gotten a M401 and decided to give it one more shot at making some of my own brew. Wow, was very sweet and way Too Much Flavor!. I cleaned out my original DSE901 atty and tried that too. Great results. Only the RN4081 atty's do it and it is very consistent. A couple puffs of little or no flavor and then waxy vapor. Any others having this issue? Ohhh and Lorann Butter Rum is the bomb.

Phalse

ECF Veteran
To the original poster, DIY juice doesnt taste the same because the chinese recipes don't use 10%-20% of 1 flavor , and they dont use loranns flavors either. (regarding loranns, they probably use something similar but not that exact brand)

Their recipes have 2-4 flavor components each one labeled >5% (all the ones online have 4 flavors listed...)
I highly doubt you can make a recipe taste like the chinese juice by adding 1 flavor component for say...chocolate at 20%
I'm almost positive about this, but because not ALL the juices recipes are listed, they may have one that includes 1 flavor component. But again, I highly doubt this is the case.

So the Chinese are not adding 20% one flavor, nor even 10% one flavor. At the least they have 2 components at >5% to make a flavor, more often 4 flavor components less than >5% Example 3% 3% 3% 3% (I'm guessing here because they don't provide detailed specs only >5% general recipe specs)

And only about 4 original ruyan recipes are listed online because of patent applications.

I know of no other recipes listed online from other brands.

Last edited:

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
So ChainSmkr - did you find some Chinese flavorings? Inquiring minds want to know

I second that!
Especially if anyone ever finds any lychee (litchi) flavour, I'd dearly love to know where to get that (it's my favourite fruit!) I've got 100ml of lychee 36mg on order from Eastmall, but it would be fun to blend up my own mixes (and also for making liqueurs - another interest of mine.)

ChainSmkr

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
USA
So ChainSmkr - did you find some Chinese flavorings? Inquiring minds want to know

Yes, I believe so. I purchased the flavorings from liquidxpress. They should arrive within the next few days so I'll be able to see and sample them at that time. You can find some video reviews on the forum for the pre-mixed e-liquid that they sell. Right now the flavors offered are limited, in my opinion, and I don't know if they have plans of expanding the selection in the future. I've been given a heads up that they may taste lighter or weaker than if someone were to use LorAnns/Bickfords.

ChainSmkr

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
USA
I've got 100ml of lychee 36mg on order from Eastmall, but it would be fun to blend up my own mixes (and also for making liqueurs - another interest of mine.)

That would be awesome if Eastmall could offer flavorings for the selection of juices that they have...then we could mix our own strengths since everyone is unique. I'm searching for the stronger stuff because I don't fully have my taste buds back and I'm not sure I ever will.

I know I'm a newbie to DIY, but I really thought adding a couple drops of LorAnn/Bickford strawberry to strawberry juice would do the trick but it didn't. I ended up with a horrible aftertaste. Then when I mixed my own, same thing. I dare someone to put a drop of that stuff on their tongue (like I foolishly did) 8-o

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
That would be awesome if Eastmall could offer flavorings for the selection of juices that they have...then we could mix our own strengths since everyone is unique. I'm searching for the stronger stuff because I don't fully have my taste buds back and I'm not sure I ever will.

I know I'm a newbie to DIY, but I really thought adding a couple drops of LorAnn/Bickford strawberry to strawberry juice would do the trick but it didn't. I ended up with a horrible aftertaste. Then when I mixed my own, same thing. I dare someone to put a drop of that stuff on their tongue (like I foolishly did) 8-o

Then they'd never sell anything other than smaller quantities of 36mg flavourless, so I doubt they'll divulge their sources - too much "value added" profit to lose if people could cut flavoured juices and restore the flavour :(

But I did find lychee liqueur essence at Absolutehomebrew.com (and they have a great range of other unusual flavourings that LorAnn and Gert Strand don't cover.) They're in Australia, but they do ship internationally - I'm just waiting for a shipping quote on 1/2kg, and I'll be placing an order :D
I don't know how concentrated they are, but assuming they're much the same as the Gert Strand essences - glycerine-based, and strong enough to be worth using (though weaker than LorAnn.) I vape them 50:50 with nic-juice.

ChainSmkr

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
USA
Then they'd never sell anything other than smaller quantities of 36mg flavourless, so I doubt they'll divulge their sources - too much "value added" profit to lose if people could cut flavoured juices and restore the flavour :(

But I did find lychee liqueur essence at Absolutehomebrew.com

Good deal, I'm glad you found the lychee flavoring you were looking for!

Another good deal: We don't need Eastmall to do that. I spoke further with liquidxpress and they have chosen to take the route of providing flavorings for DIYs. They'll have some new flavors next week and some custom flavors the following week. I, for one, will be keeping an eye on their web site. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread