Flavors for custardy buttery exhale, and a couple other questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauly walnuts

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
pa
I just got an order from highdesertvapes and started mixing. Their 'ellas' flavors are capellas from what I gather, just broken down into smaller bottles, so I got some vanilla custard. They didnt mention whether it was v2 or not, and I was hoping it wasnt. I also got TPA dulce de leche and hazelnut, in the hopes of making a modified nutty grants vanilla custard.

To the point, its three days in the steep and im getting great inhale flavor and a very flat exhale (15%VC and 2%Dulce 50/50 @ 13%nic).

Does it take over a week to develop the custard exhale flavor or should it be there a little to start with?

Also, if this happens to be the V2, and the exhale is poopy, what flavors give a nice buttery custardy exhale to add to it?

Im looking to order some supplies soon and id love to know what might fill this void.:confused:

trace amounts of diacetyl are of no concern.

Last edited:

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
I just got an order from highdesertvapes and started mixing. Their 'ellas' flavors are capellas from what I gather, just broken down into smaller bottles, so I got some vanilla custard. They didnt mention whether it was v2 or not, and I was hoping it wasnt. I also got TPA dulce de leche and hazelnut, in the hopes of making a modified nutty grants vanilla custard.

To the point, its three days in the steep and im getting great inhale flavor and a very flat exhale (15%VC and 2%Dulce 50/50 @ 13%nic).

Does it take over a week to develop the custard exhale flavor or should it be there a little to start with?

Also, if this happens to be the V2, and the exhale is poopy, what flavors give a nice buttery custardy exhale to add to it?

Im looking to order some supplies soon and id love to know what might fill this void.:confused:

trace amounts of diacetyl are of no concern.
Maybe a bit of bavarian cream?

pauly walnuts

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
pa
I've used capella's vanilla custard a few times now,and it seems like the flavor doesn't really start to get good until about a week,and will get better and better,after 4-5 weeks it is really creamy.
The waiting aspect is tough for me. Im just starting out again and I hate to spend money on diy flavors and pre assembled liquid for the wait time.

bm, do you add anything to your custard mixes?

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
The waiting aspect is tough for me. Im just starting out again and I hate to spend money on diy flavors and pre assembled liquid for the wait time.

bm, do you add anything to your custard mixes?

I'm the same way,i have no patience haha.I almost gave up on the custard flavor because of that,when first made i really didnt think it was all that good,and wondered why people rave about how good it is.That's the only reason i left it for a month,i was actually getting ready to dump it and figured i would try it 1 more time,and turns out i'm glad i did.As far as adding anything,i've made the grants clone that is posted here a few times that has custard and dulce de leche in it,this one is great after a few weeks,i've also done a few mixes with custard and different fruits,blueberry custard is fantastic.Another one that is very good is called creamy custard,it's listed in the recipes section i think,i'll try and find it,but anyway if you want creamy,this is the one.It is a mix of custard,bavarian cream,and i believe vanilla swirl.

pauly walnuts

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
pa
I'm the same way,i have no patience haha.I almost gave up on the custard flavor because of that,when first made i really didnt think it was all that good,and wondered why people rave about how good it is.That's the only reason i left it for a month,i was actually getting ready to dump it and figured i would try it 1 more time,and turns out i'm glad i did.As far as adding anything,i've made the grants clone that is posted here a few times that has custard and dulce de leche in it,this one is great after a few weeks,i've also done a few mixes with custard and different fruits,blueberry custard is fantastic.Another one that is very good is called creamy custard,it's listed in the recipes section i think,i'll try and find it,but anyway if you want creamy,this is the one.It is a mix of custard,bavarian cream,and i believe vanilla swirl.
I Just tasted my custard after a few days and I do think its developing. Sometimes posting questions makes me question myself and give an objective re-test.

Anyways, My vanilla custard is capellas and my dulce de leche is TPA. Im going to get some TPA bavarian cream, but what brand is 'Vanilla Swirl"??

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
I've stopped using Cap's VC because it seemed to make my lungs feel a bit heavy, but I enjoyed it very much at around 9%. Everyone has different taste buds with different sensitivities, so there is no rule as to which % is best. In general, custards and creams seem to take me around 10 days or so to really start tasting good, and more time does mean more flavor. I would suggest mixing a 5% batch and a 10% batch. Steep them both alongside your 15% batch and see how they pan out after a week+.

Aside from the custard itself, there are plenty of good flavors to add for texture. .5-2% TFA marshmallow, .5-1% EM, 1-3% TFA bavarian, .5-2% FA vienna cream, 1-3% DIYFS holy vanilla, etc. There are also good 'opposing' flavors, which work to make the custard stand out a bit more by providing contrast, such as lime or cinnamon.

Cookster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2011
Fla-De-Da
I Just tasted my custard after a few days and I do think its developing. Sometimes posting questions makes me question myself and give an objective re-test.

Anyways, My vanilla custard is capellas and my dulce de leche is TPA. Im going to get some TPA bavarian cream, but what brand is 'Vanilla Swirl"??

Vanilla Swirl is TPA ;)

Hawaiian Nate

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
Wisconsin
Took me 13 days to start tasting good. Same recipe 15% CAP V2 & 2% TFA Dulce de Leche. I'm very impatient about steeping as well. This was my very first try at DIY and I was about ready to throw in the towel and start a different flavor. Patients is virtue for these custard desert flavors. I'm gonna make a bigger batch next round and let it steep longer than 2 weeks. I hear what your saying about not wanting to go buying store juice (defeats the purpose of diy IMO). I'm thinking of picking up some butter flavor to add that in. I tried a buttery custard at a local B&M last week and DAMN!!! It was sooo good on the exhale, but at $15 for 15ml... This is why I DIY. Lol. Good luck on that custard journey

pauly walnuts

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
pa
I wanted to give an update and thank everyone for their help.

Its five days into steep and the custard exhale is starting to develop. What a change in only a couple days, its almost like magic but Im positive its science.

Another thing im learning is to be sparing with the flavors. More flavor doesnt always mean better flavor, and that maybe adding sweeteners isnt the best route for flavor.

Im really trying to make a great liquid. It would be such a win to be able to consistently make something I like and will enjoy vaping. Also, my buddy owns a vape shop and sells his home made liquids (which are freakin awesome), and I would love to walk in with something that knocks his socks off.

For my next order im getting TPA bavarian cream, capella butter, and capella graham cracker. Ill already have cap vanilla custard , TPA hazelnut and TPA dulce de leche on hand.

I am debating vanillin, marshmallo, and cotton candy

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
For Faster result times:
Smaller Batches for quicker use.
Reduced Flavor percentages for quicker melding(steep)
Warm water Baths and shaking or
a Few hours in a UC
24-48 hours shake/rest

Flavors will continue to mature but should be comfortably vapeable in 2 days.
Warning - this will not work with all types of flavoring. Best with fruits/Drinks/some desserts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread