Flavors for kids..... Oh NO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VelvetVisions

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Waukesha, WI
This past weekend we had a party and my son asks me what flavors I'm vaping, this was the conversation (keeping in mind that I have discussed what PVs are and he hated me smoking and is happy for this alternative, he is nine):

Son: What flavors are you using?
Me: Vanilla in one and coffee in the other
Son: I really like vanilla
Son (a few min later): I want to get one of those when I get older
Me: Why would you want to do that?
Son: Because of the flavors, how else can I have vanilla whenever I want?
Me: Explaining all the wonderful things that contain vanilla and explaining why he wouldn't want to start using PVs.

The whole time we are having this conversation I'm mortified. I would never have expected this and I'm not even sure I handled the situation appropriately. I was so caught off guard, I just did what I could.

I'm a huge opponent of the whole idea that the flavors will lure children, but this conversation really freaked me out a bit (maybe it's karma). I guess I could consider that he mentioned he would like to get one when he gets older (versus now) as a positive, but WOW!!

The conversation really was pretty short, thankfully. Has anyone else had this conversation with their kids? Should it come up again, is there something better I could say?

VelvetVisions

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Waukesha, WI
I don't mind telling him what flavors, he also asks all the time, I was just shocked at his mention of getting one. It was so completely unexpected since he was soooo happy that I quit. I always got the "smoking is bad for you" lecture from him, but not anymore. I just had to share because I have been mulling this over for a couple of days now. Like I said, it was a short conversation, thankfully. :)

Evilfezdog

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Pittsburgh Pa
same here
i used to feel shame whenever she talks about my smoking
i didn't know what to tell her half the time
"well daddy smokes because he is ......" i never knew what to say.
now that i am vapeing i still don't feel all that comfortable about it (is it still drug use?)
but i can tell her i am doing it for my health "it just like drinking coffee, its something that adults do"

Sydesteppa

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
If they turn 18 and want to start vaping i think first off you should warn them about problems associated with addiction. After that its totally their choice and if they chose to start (recormend no nic) that is the adult decision they make. Just praise the gods that they are interested in vaping and not smoking.

Oh yeah if it turns out that vaping is proven to be safe, I see no reason why it shouldnt be sold to teenagers 16+. No one gives a damn if they choose to use the drug caffine (also highly addictive). But i do want to add that this would only be in light that PV's are proved to be harmless rather than just a "healthier alternative"

Last edited:

VelvetVisions

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Waukesha, WI
I agree, I would rather they start vaping than smoking and I'm even trying to get both my 23 and 20 year old on to vaping. My 23 year old tried it, but didn't like the draw. Unfortunately, she is in another state and I can't really show her any different. I'm going to see her in September and will definitely be showing her my repertoire. :) My 20 year old has tried mine (he is living at home), but hasn't shown much interest. I believe you have to want to do this for it to work, so I don't push (much). :)

I was just really caught off guard by his comment, made me see through his eyes a little differently. He definitely understands this is better than smoking, I've been very open and honest with him about it, but I never wanted my other two to start smoking either. I'm sure my habit was a big part of theirs.

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
The Mother Lode, California
It's not about flavors. If it were really about flavors, with the obesity problem in America, Ben and Jerrys ice cream would be banned. And for that matter it is not about the cost of healthcare for smokers that other's pay. None of the taxes go to smokers healthcare! But, we all know that right.

You have made your points to your son, the subject is opened for you to make more. Keep the conversation open. Don't glamorize it, and talk more of how you made a mistake that you are now righting.

You know how all children's medication is flavored so they will take it. Speak of how this medication is flavored so YOU will take it. After all if it was really nasty tasting you probably wouldn't be doing it.

Sydesteppa

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
VV, you did exactly what a parent should do. You explained what was going on and discussed it with your child. If more people took the time to be a parent instead of their child's BFF we would have fewer people trying to "protect the children" Great job on being an awesome parent!!!

Sorry yes i agree you did the right thing. You didnt make out like it was the most evil thing in the world but you also didnt encourage it. How old is your son?

VelvetVisions

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Waukesha, WI
It's not about flavors. If it were really about flavors, with the obesity problem in America, Ben and Jerrys ice cream would be banned. And for that matter it is not about the cost of healthcare for smokers that other's pay. None of the taxes go to smokers healthcare! But, we all know that right.

You have made your points to your son, the subject is opened for you to make more. Keep the conversation open. Don't glamorize it, and talk more of how you made a mistake that you are now righting.

You know how all children's medication is flavored so they will take it. Speak of how this medication is flavored so YOU will take it. After all if it was really nasty tasting you probably wouldn't be doing it.

I agree it's NOT about the flavors and honestly we should have the right to enjoy what we are doing, whether others like it or not. As I stated, I'm a huge opponent of the whole "let's ban them because they attract children" theory. I honestly didn't believe that could be the case, guess that is why my son's comment kinda shocked me a bit. :)

Syde... my son is nine and I have been very open about it. Kids are smarter than many give them credit for. I figure it is best to have the conversation than to try and sidestep it.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Agnes is right! Leave the door open to talk more. Kids are smart, when he thinks of something else to ask, have short answers and go about your business. He will take time to digest each one and soon the understanding will dawn. You are doing this for HIM as well as you. Hopefully in 10 years things will have progressed to a point that he doesn't need or want to vape or smoke. He won't want a transformer either.
My grandsons 16 and 9 just said good for you Grandma. They don't show any interest at all.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
You did good, Tamara, he just came at you out of the blue (kids do that :) )

If he brings it up again, that when he's older he wants one, I would most assuredly bring up the dangers of addiction, and be frank and honest about why you are in this situation. Share with him why you started smoking in the first place, and how difficult it is to quit.
Point out again that the PV is an alternate for us smokers unwilling or unable to quit, and that you hope by telling him your story, he won't make the same mistake as you did.

When people ask me why I starte smoking, I tell the truth - I was young and stupid, and wish someone had told me their story before I started.... maybe then I wouldn't have.

VelvetVisions

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Waukesha, WI
Just be glad they aren't thinking of joining Tobacco Free Kids, huh? :cool:

Ain't that the truth, but then again.... I would be OK if TFK was run by kids..... would likely be run much better and the kids would encourage the use of PVs. :thumb: They seem to have a much better grasp on reality sometimes.

VelvetVisions

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Waukesha, WI
When I was six years old I noticed that I was the only person in the room without a cigarette, so I asked for one.

Most of the time, people do what the people around them are doing, plain and simple. I should point out, if someone's kids grow up and the worst they do is try an e-cig, then those are some fortunate parents.

Believe me.... I would much rather the kids choose a PV than to take up smoking, but at this point we are fighting a tough battle (which shouldn't be the case) and having kids picking up this new gadget does not really help our cause any.

I have 2 daughters, and they were at first very curious about the new hardware I was using instead of cigarettes. They are only 5 and 8, so I just explained that I have a special inhaler that keeps me from smoking. They like that I don't smoke anymore, So they are cool with it. At the same time, I've also explained that my liquids are poison, and they both know what poison means and they stay away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread