Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
“Whether pre-mixed or do-it-yourself liquids, it is the amount of flavorings that would determine the level of potential adverse effects,” Farsalinos added.

Alle Dinge sind Gift, und nichts ist ohne Gift, allein die Dosis macht dass ein Ding kein Gift ist.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Exposing cells to mixtures containing a variety of flavors appeared to cause a worse reaction than using a single flavor, the study found.

One limitation of the study is that the experiment didn’t involve people actually vaping and breathing in the e-liquids

That's a pretty important limitation. But no matter, the story is out there now and all I'll hear from here forward is that "those things damage your lungs".

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is indeed a limitation, and not one that is going to go away with these "artificial" studies, although I already follow best practices and don't use a high percentage of flavorings or those known to cause issues like vanillin and cinnamon.

It's really hard to base results on non-real world studies with any conclusiveness. I will say, one reason I don't vape vanilla is that my body doesn't like it, and it causes hoarseness. That would fit well with an "inflammation theory" although for sure, that is ONE person's experience. I will say my body tends to let me know if something is "off" and that is pleasing. I also like being able to DIY my own flavors.

This study also settles it, I am buying a bunch more flavors today, before the "flavor wars" start. Yep.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The science writers on these things always “miss” something.

The keyword here is “dose-dependent”. One that shows up not at all in the Reuters article but features prominently in the actual research. They also tested natural flavors rather than artificial ones and picked from the most abrasive.

The writer has conflated large doses to any dose at all, and 3 natural spice flavors: vanilla, cinnamon, and cumin (really? Cumin?) into being all flavors.

Bad fake scientist! No cookie!

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The Reuters article touted yet another junk cell toxicology study that was funded by FDA/NCI, whose authors falsely insinuated that e-liquid flavorings are toxic for humans (based upon their study of cell tissues)
Inflammatory and Oxidative Responses Induced by Exposure to Commonly Used e-Cigarette Flavoring Chemicals and Flavored e-Liquids without Nicotine
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180130123244.htm

Sadly, the news media don't realize they're being duped into writing these fear mongering stories about vaping based upon toxicology studies of cells (not humans).

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Being a noobie DIYer mixing my own juice I don’t make anything with more than 3 at the most 4 flavors in them. I will take this article with a grain of salt and follow anna’s lead and follow best vape practices which for me will limit the number of ingredients and staying away from certain others. Well as soon as I’m done with the Cinnamon Danish Swirl lol!

But seriously I feel there may be things to learn from these studies even if obviously biased with an agenda. I know that when I use TC I never go over 450 degrees which is way to warm for me anyways due a study that also didn’t include real life vapers but demonstrated carcinogens at very high temps.

So I’ll continue to vape but be smart about about it as well.

Reactions: stols001

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
But seriously I feel there may be things to learn from these studies even if obviously biased with an agenda. I know that when I use TC I never go over 450 degrees which is way to warm for me anyways due a study that also didn’t include real life vapers but demonstrated carcinogens at very high temps.

So I’ll continue to vape but be smart about about it as well.

I have to disagree. This particular study teaches us nothing. From what I've read; it's the equivalent of studying the process of drowning by splashing water on subjects faces.

marianna

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
Netherlands
1. Vaping since 10 years and always avoided flavors containing diacetyl, acetoin, acetyl propionyl and/or butyric acid.

2. I don't worry about coumarin (f.e. in cinnamon), cause coumarin in general is banned as a flavorant food additive.

3. News media would not survive if they write positive news. Readers like sensation.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK, I kind of enjoy those heartwarming "news" moments when the media wants to ignore something big going on, and so they invent "cricket" stories until the issue has passed.... I enjoy them, coupled with the knowledge that something else is going on, somewhere, that our government would like us not to know so much about.

I kind of think the media cycle goes from: fake news, heartwarming story to cover up real news, politics, politics, politics, ARMAGEDDON (in whatever fashion) Hollywood, fake news... continue the cycle, endlessly.

I kind of gave up after Swine flu. That's when I started paying attention to the "news cycle" and what it does, and also noted that all the past "Armageddon" posts have yet to happen. I still vividly remember when there were a couple asteroid movies about to be released, and all of a sudden they were talking about the "Very real" possibility that an asteroid would strike the earth!" I mean, yeah, it happens all the time, but not in the way the media (and the movies) were presenting. I really had to give up on most "news." It annoys.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread