The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Florida may raise tobacco-buying age to 21

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by puffon, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    Florida may raise tobacco-buying age to 21
    The last paragraph shows what they think about your health:
    "It’s unclear whether the Florida proposal will make it into law. The GOP-controlled Legislature faces a likely budget shortfall because of Hurricane Irma, and if the bill became law, it would likely mean a decrease in cigarette tax revenues."

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Some cities and townships have already passed this. Not sure how they intend to enforce it or how it will hold up in state courts. IMO if you are considered an adult at 18 years you have the right to be treated like one. Suffocating legislation is getting out of hand. While I have no desire to live an anarchy state, neither do I want to live in a state where I must look over my shoulder to enjoy the freedoms that were my right from birth and upon reaching adulthood.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Janking all around with age requirements and all that just seems like one more step toward prohibition to me. I think anyone living in this culture knows that smoking is bad for you way before that age. I started smoking at 18 with the full knowledge that it was bad for me. (I did have some naiive hopes about addictiveness, or rather a lack of full fear of its addictiveness) but I believe I could easily have made the same decision at 21, to be honest.

I mean.... Common sense and critical reasoning doesn't really show up completely until one's mid twenties, and for some folks, not at all. I'm not sure that 18 vs 21 will do much although I'd imagine the worry about revenues from smoking, generally, are rather real for most states.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    You don't realize you aren't invincible until you reach your 30s or have kids.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    And when your kids reach their teens and you realize YOU are not invincible and NEITHER are THEY and OMG the constant worry, worry, worry I had about my kiddo as a new mom? I SO WISH I HAD SAVED UP THAT WORRY for when the kid hit about FOURTEEN--NINTEEN.

There were times where it felt like a) my heart had stopped b) I WISHED it WOULD stop and c) Random thoughts about murdering the child MYSELF while being led through various "adventures." LOL. There were times I seriously considered that matricide might be kinder!!!! (Kidding.... sort of....)

Anna

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Never regretted not having any. Well until I get to play with a baby. Discovered thru baby sitting they do not stay cute and cuddly.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    If they trust you enough to cast a ballot at 18 you should be able to make an informed decision about smoking at the same age. Then again Florida doesn't have a stellar rep when it comes to casting a ballot. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteveS45

SteveS45 Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    Many states and towns or counties have already raised the minimum age to buy cigarettes and alcohol so it is just one more following the trend. It is actually up to those at the age to protest the laws and legislation being made or passed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    21 as the drinking age is due to the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, and the ostensible intent/justification ws prevent harm to other drivers rather than to the 18-20 year old drinkers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteveS45

Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    Tell this to the 18 year old people who can be drafted or go enlist. Old enough to vote but unable to make responsible choices??

• Like Like x 4
  11. Rickb119

Rickb119 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 20, 2013
    Greeley, CO, USA
    For many 18 year old people, that would fit better as a statement rather than a question. ;)

To be fair, that also applies to many people of all ages. :lol:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. SteveS45

Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    Not saying they can make the correct choices but are permitted to................

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SteveS45

Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    And that is when pertaining to voting so lets not get nit picky here. Find a debate someplace else please.

14. Myrany

Myrany Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    I would hazard a guess that for many of us posting here the legal smoking age had no effect whatsoever on our starting to smoke at an age far below the legal age. ;)

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Yeah but walking into a store and buying your OWN pack is a milestone coming of age experience. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    There were still vending machines with cigs and you could send your 5 year old to the store to buy your cigs when I started smoking. There was no coming of age back then for booze or cigs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Yes I used to go get cigarettes for my grandfather when I was 10 or so. Nobody ever asked any questions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Seiggy

Seiggy Full Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Irwin, Pennsylvania
    Yep, I figured that one out during the first couple of messy diaper changes and for my first born, the second shower I got in the morning. And then the giggles come and you forget all about that stuff. Ya love em even when then stink and let loose in your arms.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I believe you. I even believe you still love them when they learn to talk. I do not believe I would have been a patient or gifted mother. I prefer other people's children, I don't have to take them home with me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Seiggy

Seiggy Full Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Irwin, Pennsylvania
    Yep, same here. Started when I was about 14 and a pack was about 25 cents. I wonder what the tax was on that ????? And I didn't have to show ID or nuttin.......

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.