Fluval 2 stuffing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Joe

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Floss Angeles
I read some threads regarding the fluval 2plus polyfiber filling. I picked up a pack yesterday at my local fish store and have tried it in my 901, my 510 and my 801 with varying results.

901 - didn't take long to wick, but lots of juice escaping the cart into my mouth.

801 - takes long time to wick. I put two drops on the atomizer to help it along. Seems that I have to suck harder with the fluval to get same vapor than stock fill.

510 - inconsistent. sometimes good vapor, sometimes not.

Also, it seems there is a significant decrease of "throat hit" in all 3.

Maybe I'm suffing my carts wrong. All I did was cut a piece of the fluval to match the size of the previous filling. Is there something I'm missing. Anybody have success with the fluval 2plus stuffing?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
I have pretty much the same question, wondered if there was any particular method for the people having success with this stuff... I've been using it for a while, and I'm having trouble figuring out how much is the right amount, whether it should be cut to fit the cart exactly or maybe a little bigger or smaller to allow for compression or expansion.

It works okay for me for the most part, but if I cut too little I flood my atomizer, and if I cut too much it seems like the taste comes through. I can say that it holds up better to heat than the stuff that comes in my 510 carts, and therefore keeps the atomizer moister.

In principle this is great stuff, much easier to work with than the polyfill batting.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this, but I have yet to see any details beyond the fact that someone is using it, and I'm a very detail oriented person... :)

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Just ordered the Fluval 2 myself.

One forum member (she?) had posted that the Fluval 2 would peel apart into thin layers. Then the layer was cut to appropriate size and FOLDED and then inserted into the cart. When you look at it in the cart you can see the folds. This caught my attention because a few of the factory carts I had for a 901 were a thin material, folded, lengthwise, into the cart. They performed better than any other carts.

This is what I intend trying when I get the order.

Hopefully the the OP of the post describing the layer and fold method I'm attempting to describe will see this and elaborate for us.

DyZiE

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
Monterey, Ca
I read some threads regarding the fluval 2plus polyfiber filling. I picked up a pack yesterday at my local fish store and have tried it in my 901, my 510 and my 801 with varying results.

901 - didn't take long to wick, but lots of juice escaping the cart into my mouth.

801 - takes long time to wick. I put two drops on the atomizer to help it along. Seems that I have to suck harder with the fluval to get same vapor than stock fill.

510 - inconsistent. sometimes good vapor, sometimes not.

Also, it seems there is a significant decrease of "throat hit" in all 3.

Maybe I'm suffing my carts wrong. All I did was cut a piece of the fluval to match the size of the previous filling. Is there something I'm missing. Anybody have success with the fluval 2plus stuffing?

thanks in advance.
is the "Fluval" your refering to something i substitue in my carts as a something to hold the eliquid? interesting. by chance are you talking about the white fluffy stuff they sell near fish water fiters?

have you tried pulling it appart (like pulling apart a cotton ball) and then putting it in cart? it might make it harder to add a lil too much or too little.

RazorNribbonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Trapped within my imagination
Does anyone have the link to order the fluval2?..I've been to my pet store like 4 times..They only carry stuff that is like 2 inches thick, and I'm not sure what the difference is...

I so agree with this OlderThan> "Then the layer was cut to appropriate size and FOLDED and then inserted into the cart. When you look at it in the cart you can see the folds. This caught my attention because a few of the factory carts I had for a 901 were a thin material, folded, lengthwise, into the cart. They performed better than any other carts."

That stuff was the best cart filler I've ever used...The accordion fold

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Does anyone have the link to order the fluval2?..I've been to my pet store like 4 times..They only carry stuff that is like 2 inches thick, and I'm not sure what the difference is...

I so agree with this OlderThan> "Then the layer was cut to appropriate size and FOLDED and then inserted into the cart. When you look at it in the cart you can see the folds. This caught my attention because a few of the factory carts I had for a 901 were a thin material, folded, lengthwise, into the cart. They performed better than any other carts."

That stuff was the best cart filler I've ever used...The accordion fold

Accordian fold is a great description Razor Here's the link to where I purchased:

Fluval 2 Plus Polyester Pads (4/Pack)

Again, I got this from a previous post, have not actually tried it myself so....

wanderlust

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
North Carolina, USA
I'm using the pads with the stick and penstyle and cut them to length after thinning a couple of layers. I leave it smaller at the bottom than the top and make sure the layers are running vertical to wick better. My experience is that I sometimes use too much causing pooling and no real wicking ability. It takes a little practice but works really well. I don't fold anything.

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
I've been just cutting the pads to size and peeling off enough layers to make it about the right width, but wanted to try the "accordion fold" to see if that works any better, so I peeled off a single layer and folded it one way, and then the opposite, until I had four layers looking like a "W" from the end, and that seemed to be about the right thickness for my 510 cartridge. It turned out a little too thick, since it didn't wick very well and I got a definite stuffing taste, so I'll try leaving one of the sides off the "W".

But just wanted to check... is that the general idea with the accordion fold? It seems like that should more or less reproduce the effect of just cutting the pads to size and maybe peeling off a layer or two to fit the cartridge, and that's a lot easier to do, which carries a lot of weight with us lazy types...

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Hey tester
I got my Fluval Friday, tried cutting to fit and peeling various thicknesses and folding. All had the same result of delivering 4-5 of the best hits ever and then absolute stop. Stuff wouldn't wick any more. Same results on a 901 and 510.

As far as the 'accordian fold', didn't work well for me. I have to agree that seems more effort than needed. Cutting to fit, as you have been doing is what I'll continue to play with.

Tester, are you using the straw mod along with the fluval?

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
Just follow the link that Rejoice gave and you should be good. You want to peel the layers to be just a tad thicker than the cart diameter, then cut the width the same. It does take a little prectice, but it works. As noted in the video, I did cut the Fluval a little bit too wide in the video. You Tube limits me to 10 minutes so I didn't have time to re-do it. As it was I ran over on time and had to remove a fair bit anyhow just to get it posted.

Tip: If you make it too big you'll have to compress it too much and it won't hold as much juice, and it won't let go of what it does hold. You'll have a dry atty even if there's still juice in the cart. If on the other hand you cut too narrow, you won't have enough in the cart and juice will leak over the place and in your mouth. It does take a little practice, but it's very repeatable, and much easier than the poly-foam from Wal-Mart that some others are using.

When I top off my 801 cart, I'm typically adding between 18-20 drops of juice to refill. That's got me using nearly all of the juice in the cart.

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
Rejoice,

Thanks for posting the video link, that's exactly what I needed to see...

Grumpster,

That Fluval video is solid GOLD, thanks so much for putting that together, and for the extra guidance. I'm only about halfway through the video, but I had to stop and come back here to say thanks - it's very clear, and I've had about 3 or 4 light-bulb moments already!

OlderThanDirt,

Yep, you guessed it, I'm doing the straw mod as well, which is why I needed to take off an extra layer of material to avoid compressing it too much. I also need to find some of the flat coffee stirrers, because the plastic Q-tip pieces I'm using are probably a little too big. I'm getting a little better performance than the stock filler at this point (cutting almost exactly to the size of the carts, and leaving a little air pocket at the bottom for the straw), the Fluval definitely lasts longer before needing to be replaced, but with Grumpster's instructions I can see where it should work even better...

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Just follow the link that Rejoice gave and you should be good. You want to peel the layers to be just a tad thicker than the cart diameter, then cut the width the same. ....
..It does take a little practice, but it's very repeatable, and much easier than the poly-foam from Wal-Mart that some others are using.

When I top off my 801 cart, I'm typically adding between 18-20 drops of juice to refill. That's got me using nearly all of the juice in the cart.

Grumpster, as the others have said, GREAT video. Thanks. I've been trying to use the Fluval2 Polishing pads, but in your video you appear to be using a differant Fluval product. 'Spose I should look at it again but could you post the specific product name your using? Thanks for your time!

...OlderThanDirt,

Yep, you guessed it, I'm doing the straw mod as well, which is why I needed to take off an extra layer of material to avoid compressing it too much. I also need to find some of the flat coffee stirrers, because the plastic Q-tip pieces I'm using are probably a little too big. I'm getting a little better performance than the stock filler at this point (cutting almost exactly to the size of the carts, and leaving a little air pocket at the bottom for the straw), the Fluval definitely lasts longer before needing to be replaced, but with Grumpster's instructions I can see where it should work even better...

Same here with the stirrer being too big. The ones I'm using are fine in an 801 but when used in the 510, well just too big.

I'll keep messing with it. Bound to figure it eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread