Fool-proof Genesis Technique. Before you sell your Genesis style RBA, read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubblecraft83

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
I wasn't happy with the commonly filmed coil technique. If anyone new to this is having trouble with shorts and hotspots give this a try. I recommend 500 ss mesh but any mesh will give you good results.

Hubble's GenTech

*Make and oxidize a tight dense wick per the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/330407-500-ss-mesh.html thread technique (no center hole, as tight as it can be. almost the size of your wick hole). Don't go overboard with oxidizing, you will do more later.

*Insert wick into dry tank to check size and trim bottom of wick at an angle to help wicking.

*Eye where you want your coil to go on your wick. I wet a little 4mm wide piece of paper the length and position of my future coil to the wick as a pattern. This will burn off later.

*Take your wick out of the tank, tightly & evenly coil your wire how you want it. Wrap coil on top of your paper pattern. Leave both tails on the same side when finished.

*Trim tails to about a half inch.

*Hold tails in needle nose pliers close to wick.

*Torch wick and coils to red and quench 2-3 times.

*Put down pliers and drip juice all over coils. Light to flame. Do this 2-3 times. Don't quench. (hold bottom of wick with pliers)

*Put wick back into tank

*Screw in top positive lead first, making sure coils and wick touch nothing.

*With fingers or pliers (I use pliers), GENTLY pull bottom lead towards you to pull all the coils close to the wick.

*While holding wire with gentle tension, pull bottom lead under negative screw and screw down. (I have the tank on a mod between my knees at this point) ;)

This tech breaks in your coil and wick before it even touches a battery. It also "trains" your coil to stay a tight coil and will not expand away from your wick ever again. Zero hotspots and zero shorts. Enjoy and I hope this helps that guy (or kickass girl) about to throw a Genesis out the window :2cool:

Last edited:

hubblecraft83

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
This tech is for the advanced modder (that may be new to Genesis) that has tried everything and is still getting expanding coils, shorts and hot spots. Before trying my tech please be familiar with these advanced concepts and Genesis style rebuildables.

Read this entire 500ss mesh thread for an excellent physics proven wick technique.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/330407-500-ss-mesh.html

YouTube is full of videos on how to roll and oxidize wicks. The 500ss thread above will show you why you need a thick, dense, no center hole wick for optimal capillary action.

FYI This dense wick wicks excellent but be warned... You will need a lot of amps to run this beast. Be careful and use the right mod and batts for the job.

Cheers and thanks for visiting :vapor:

Last edited:

hubblecraft83

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
The little piece of wet paper is rolled on the wick before the coil is wrapped over it i assume. You didn't say that and could confuse someone new to this. Great tutorial..:)

I'm honored you like it! Thank you for all your hard work in wick development. I really enjoyed reading your thread :)

The coil guide cigarette paper I use is only about 4 mm wide. I use just enough cigarette paper to stick on the wick as a pattern. You could also roll completely around the wick, making sure to burn and blow it completely off before quenching.

Mike

ninfreak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2011
burkesville, kentucky
lol i like how everyone over complicates this very easy proccess. i make a wick with frost wick method shove in tank and wrap a coil.... i never ever have issues. no quenching, no paper, if i have a short i move the coil a bit, then i'm done. i have a wick for months of use.

the problem im seeing with people are wicking issues cause they are using a wick that is not dense enough to facilitate capillary action. this in turn makes people think they are getting hotspots and shorts when in reality they just aren't getting good wicking

Aron Gatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Malta
I wasn't happy with the commonly filmed coil technique. If anyone new to this is having trouble with shorts and hotspots give this a try. I recommend 500 ss mesh but any mesh will give you good results.

Hubble's GenTech

*Make and oxidize a tight dense wick per the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/330407-500-ss-mesh.html thread technique (no center hole, as tight as it can be. almost the size of your wick hole). Don't go overboard with oxidizing, you will do more later.

*Insert wick into dry tank to check size and trim bottom of wick at an angle to help wicking.

*Eye where you want your coil to go on your wick. I wet a little 4mm wide piece of paper the length and position of my future coil to the wick as a pattern. This will burn off later.

*Take your wick out of the tank, tightly & evenly coil your wire how you want it. Wrap coil on top of your paper pattern. Leave both tails on the same side when finished.

*Put down pliers and drip juice all over coils. Light to flame. Do this 2-3 times. Don't quench. (hold bottom of wick with pliers)

*Put wick back into tank

*With fingers or pliers (I use pliers), GENTLY pull bottom lead towards you to pull all the coils close to the wick.

*While holding wire with gentle tension, pull bottom lead under negative screw and screw down. (I have the tank on a mod between my knees at this point) ;)

This tech breaks in your coil and wick before it even touches a battery. It also "trains" your coil to stay a tight coil and will not expand away from your wick ever again. Zero hotspots and zero shorts. Enjoy and I hope this helps that guy (or kickass girl) about to throw a Genesis out the window :2cool:

Great this will help a lot of vapers .... The RIZLA " cig papers" it's great for building a carbon layer between the coil and wick.. Great simple to understand tutorial mate

NewbyNinja

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2012
United States

Hubble's GenTech

*Put wick back into tank

Hubbles Tech works great for a no hassle setup. Its a little extra effort but its nice not to have to worry about shorts.

nordoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2011
Philly
I just got a DID clone and have made about 5 or 6 wicks with little to no success. My problem is the wicking. I am not getting hot spots or shorts but just think that it is not wicking well even if I hold the atty upside down. I am using 400 SS. I see that you mentioned a dense wick with no center hole for the 500 SS. Do you think this will work the same with the 400?

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
I just got a DID clone and have made about 5 or 6 wicks with little to no success. My problem is the wicking. I am not getting hot spots or shorts but just think that it is not wicking well even if I hold the atty upside down. I am using 400 SS. I see that you mentioned a dense wick with no center hole for the 500 SS. Do you think this will work the same with the 400?

400 will work also, 500 works better

Aron Gatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Malta

Did solve this .... Cos with this DUD I'm having the same ... Wicking issues ... Tryed everything .. But no 500 mesh yet " cos I don't have one ....
It had made everything like I did with my Real DID ... But it's seems that the hole wick on the DID is made larger for a reason .... Was wondering if the small and short DID have the same diameter wick hole as the normal DID ? Anyone knows

NewbyNinja

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2012
United States
Did solve this .... Cos with this DUD I'm having the same ... Wicking issues ... Tryed everything .. But no 500 mesh yet " cos I don't have one ....
It had made everything like I did with my Real DID ... But it's seems that the hole wick on the DID is made larger for a reason .... Was wondering if the small and short DID have the same diameter wick hole as the normal DID ? Anyone knows

We took a drill and drilled out the wick hole on my DUD. Rolled as much 325 SS Mesh that would fit as tight as I could, filled the drilled out hole and boom works like a BEAST. Hits AMAZING with 28 Kanthal on my provari mini. I have some 500 Mesh on the way, but my 325 NEVER has any wicking problems. Even when i chain vape it still keeps up. Seriously the DUD is my first gen style and it has completely changed my vape. Its ALWAYS the best vape i have ever had. Dont give up on the DUD. Drill out the wick hole and follow Hubbles Gen Tech and you are good to go.

nordoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2011
Philly
We took a drill and drilled out the wick hole on my DUD. Rolled as much 325 SS Mesh that would fit as tight as I could, filled the drilled out hole and boom works like a BEAST. Hits AMAZING with 28 Kanthal on my provari mini. I have some 500 Mesh on the way, but my 325 NEVER has any wicking problems. Even when i chain vape it still keeps up. Seriously the DUD is my first gen style and it has completely changed my vape. Its ALWAYS the best vape i have ever had. Dont give up on the DUD. Drill out the wick hole and follow Hubbles Gen Tech and you are good to go.

Do you happen to know the size of the drill bit you enlarged the wick hole. I may try this, first I will try just removing the fill screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread