for all new vapors Giving up smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
Ok I have been smoke free for 3 weeks and 3 days I have been vaping that long. I have learned a couple things I'd like to share that hopefully will help some folks who are quitting smoking. First and foremost you have to want to quit there is no magic device or juice However vaping is as close as I have found to actually smoking. This stuff works for me and is worth a try as apposed to giving in to smoking. There are gonna be a few rough patches and sometimes your device may fail to satisfy your cravings, when that happens to me I use a hard lung hit to get through that, from that I also end up with a good throat hit, what I do is breath in the vapor directly into my lungs and I do it for an entire inhale, This works for me just about every time. You can also hold the vapor in your mouth a few seconds longer to let the Nicotine absorb better. I have a small 3ml bottle of 24mg nic that I keep for times when I just don't seem to get enough all other times I'm using 12mg I also use the 24mg in my dripper unit. usually 4-5 good hits and I'm good to go.

There will be a point where the flavor of juice your using will no longer appeal to you this is known as vapors tongue, There are 2 things you can do about this. One is change to another flavor you really like. Second is to buy a dripper or RDA and use a strong tasting flavor. I like Black licorice its very strong and will cover any flavor you can think off. Most strong mint flavors will do the same. I use the dripper for an hour then I can return to my normal vaping flavor and enjoy its goodness once again.

The last part is a mental game try to wait as long as you can before using your device try waiting an extra 15 min then half an hour then an hour and so on when things seem to be closing in remember how much time you have under your belt thus far is it worth giving that up, that's time you cant get back. don't let go of it get online read some of the forum threads here that will occupy you mind and give your hands something to do and by all means Vape while you do it. before you know it it's bed time Pat yourself on the back my friend you now have another day under your belt.

I'm not an expert by any means but I have been smoke free for the longest time in my 48 year old life. Most times I couldn't get past 2 days. I smoked for 30+ years with the last year smoking 2.5-3 packs a day like clockwork. It's caused 2 heart attacks and other medical issues for me. I can honestly say I have the smoking licked I'm working on giving up the nicotine now but honestly I don't care if I have that addiction so long as I'm not inhaling all the really bad crap from cigs. I will keep at it though till I'm down to 1Mg nic then just vape no nic juice to see if I get through it.

Again folks this is what works for me I hope some of you can take away something from it to help yourselves or ever use the info for your own ideas at any rate I wish you the best of luck on your journey to getting your life back.

Joe

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
you have to keep with it Brother. I think the mental game is the hardest part. If you made a decision to quit smoking that tell me your an intelligent person. You can trick your mind make yourself believe that vaping is doing exactly what the cigs were only healthier for you. Your mind is the most powerful tool you possess. If you need a support friend PM me I'll send you my email or text number when you need encouragement you buzz me day or night. we will talk you through the rough spots. I converted another co-worker today. She tried my device and was hooked. I went with her to the vape shop to make sure she got what she needed and she has called me several times today to say I'M still smoke Free. Every day you get under your belt is a WIN brother those Wins add up and one loss erases them all be The WINNER your parents raised you to be. Take back your life

JayC

Jan 22, 2014
Ohio
Good story Joe and I am glad you have found a way. This is an inspiration to me personally. I thought I had cigs beat, but they still have a hold on me. 30 year smoker 2 to 2 1/2 packs a day. I will try your technique.

Thanks again!

Another tip I can give you that is working for me immensely that epicdoom didn't say is this.
When you do smoke keep your e-cig / mod whatever you use with you and when you are taking a few hits
off your cig take a couple vapes off your e-cig aswell. When you smoke or vape both together you slowly notice
how much better vaping taste compared to smoking.

I am not saying this will absolutely work for you but it did for me. In a weeks time i was down to 2-3 a day.
Don't force yourself to quit smoking either cause that could make vaping work against you. Just look at it as something
you would like to pick up or do as a hobby and slowly but surely you should start to curve away from them cigs.

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
All I did was received my first eGo 1100 mAh battery and still had 4 or 5 analogs left. I had charged the battery and filled the tank and later on went out with a buddy of mine to dinner. While at dinner I was vaping and noticed I had lost any cravings for a cigarette. Now after we finished of course I had an analog after (as many of us had grown accustomed to smoking after a meal). Went over to his place to play some cards and stuff. Since he was a smoker I would go outside with him and smoke and left his house with 2 cigarettes left. Woke up the next morning and had an analog while I was outside with my dogs. Came back in and got dressed for work and smoked my last analog. After that I swore that I would not buy any more and since then I have not bought nor used a single analog.

The main thing is actually wanting to drop the analogs and find another means such as vaping. I went to England in march and stayed with my girl who vapes. I smoked the entire time but I would occasionally take a drag off of her eGo (and cough like hell!). When I left there I promised her I'd convert, and that I did! You just need to tell yourself "Enough is enough and this is it!"

dsheik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
overland park, KS
Good luck Walt. Its been about two months for me sense I smoked a cigarette. I have a coworker who had been vaping for a while. I finally asked him about it, went to my local vape shop that weekend, bought my first ecig and supplies and haven't smoked sense. Man if Id only known it would be this easy and vaping would be this enjoyable I could have quit years ago. I hope you can find whatever it takes to help you quit.

If you can afford it id get a decent VV/VW mod and an aspire nautilus tank. That makes a tremendous difference over the disposable things out there.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
I was able to quit rite away as the Nicotine I was getting from vaping was quite good and enough satisfaction that I didn't need any more analogs. I tossed nearly a whole pack in the can and committed to quit. I'm sure it wont go that well for everyone, you have to find that happy medium that's good for you if that means decreasing the number of analogs per day slowly so be it. The important thing is to make the commitment and stay the course.

shelzmike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
United States
I was initially concerned about not being able to give up analogs that easy...even went and bought an extra "in case" pack of analogs about 3 hours after starting to vape. It is still sitting my my car door...pristine and sealed and I really hope I wasted that $5. I will admit, there have been a few times that I had the craving for an analog I suppose (has been 8 days for me now) but I immediately think that is NOT going to happen and have sorta in a way made myself "scared" of them on purpose if that makes any sense. I mean, if I am scared of it I wont use it, right? When I have these cravings, I just pull out my EVOD and have at it...has helped really well.

Now, I will say one thing that has helped me is that I have 2 different strengths...an 80/20 18mg juice and a 50/50 12mg juice. Since I smoked Marlboro 72 silves (ultra-lights), I decided to start with both of these two mixtures to determine what I liked best. What I have found is that if I have a good tasting ADV (which is my 12mg Zebra Stripe Gum for Mt. Baker) AND a higher dose for those high craving times (like first thing in the AM, right after a meal - definately) then I am usually all good.

Mike

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
There will be a point where the flavor of juice your using will no longer appeal to you this is known as vapors tongue
People talk about their ADV (All Day Vape)
This for some reason works for a few.
But ... sooner or later here comes the vapers tongue.

As long as you are switching flavors throughout the day, you don't have to worry about it.
I have 4 different mods going with 4 different flavors and I only use one for about 5 minutes before I grab a different one.

What happens is the "flavor" really comes from your nose (olfactory glands).
You mouth only tastes sweet, sour etc.
Like having a cold and you can't taste the flavors.
Anyway .. using the same flavor all day gets boring to your mind, and it then shuts the flavor out, like white noise.

Have you every been in a house with an unpleasant odor? ...
Have you noticed that if you stayed there long enough, you didn't notice it anymore ??
Same thing ... brain gets bored with the same-o.. same-o and turns it off.

Some people lose it for days, some for weeks.
There are things you can do to shock the glands back into service, like taking the lid off of the coffee can, and breathing the fresh fumes of ground coffee, scrubbing you teeth and tongue, eating hot peppers, sipping pickle juice ... vapers have tried it all.

Just keep a rotation going and you'll be fine.
Variety makes for better vaping anyway.

RattlerX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
West Texas
I will add that you need to stay hydrated as much as possible. When I started vaping I carried around a 1 liter jug all the time with light flavored water. I used sugar free flavors that went well with my current vape. Just enough flavoring to keep my taste buds working. It was not easy but push through it and be proud of your accomplishments.

beastieboy72

Jan 6, 2014
Australia
Great to hear you are doing so well giving up the smokes. It is always a matter of doing what works for you.
I also am in my fortys and smoked for 30 years. Tried several times to stop over that time and went back everytime.
Vaping has enabled me to remain smoke free for over 5 months, I still vape as much as I used to smoke. But feel the health and financial benefits outweigh my vaping habit.
As I'm sure you would probably agree, after smoking for 3/4's of my life I still enjoy the action of (smoking) vaping. So it enables me to continue with something I enjoy doing without it harming me as much.
Keep it up its worth it :)

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
For me most of my day is spent at work I am a service tech for an industrial lift truck co. so I'm on the road running down service calls for 8, 10, 12 hours a day 6 days a week I can take only one device with me so I take my favorite and a spare battery, Choose my juice based on what I have a taste for that morning fill a 3ml tank and off I go. If I'm home then I have choices as I have 6 units ready to go. I do tend to stick to a flavor that I like though till its boring. I'm particular with flavors I don't like any flowery tastes or smells. I don't like strong overwhelming flavors, Black Lic. I can handle for some reason, but I only vape it for a reason its to strong for daily all day use.

Beast congratz on 5 months I also enjoyed smoking I think it was the demise of many attempts to quit I would always use that as an excuse. I say why put yourself through all this to stop doing something you really enjoy then I would head to the store and buy a pack. funny how we can talk ourselves into quitting and easily talk ourselves rite back to smoking.

Last edited:

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
That's some good advice, I only registered and I already found some good tips here.
My uncle makes mods and he managed to let me borrow one that looks like a pistol grip and he set it to 6 volts.
No idea what that actually do but it was good! :laugh:
Too bad I couldn't afford one.

High voltage at 6 volts but if it works for you by all means. I settled in around 4-4.5 volts for most vaping. I do prefer a slightly warm vape so I have my wattage at 12 watts. I also found on my rebuildable units If I use Nichrome wire as apposed to Kanthal I can lower my wattage and voltage. Nichrome wire heats faster, but you have to watch out with it because since it heats faster it can also burn your liquid faster. I get a good hit with maybe 3 seconds of button time. seems to save a little battery time as well. I use Nichrome on my drippers only all others get Kanthal

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The last part is a mental game try to wait as long as you can before using your device try waiting an extra 15 min then half an hour then an hour

It was hard to read this, with all the missing punctuation, but why EVER would I want to wait and wait like that? I had to do that with CIGARETTES, they cost so blasted much; no way am I denying myself vaping when I can do it in the house, it DOESN'T cost a fortune, and the much longer time it takes for nicotine to be absorbed as opposed to how fast nicotine in smoke is absorbed! If you don't hit the vapor JUST AS SOON as you feel any need/want for it, you're going to find yourself having one hell of a craving that vapor takes a long time to assuage!!!!!

If you're new to vaping, find a low enough level of nicotine so that you can VAPE YOUR FACE OFF, or you're not going to find it satisfying!!! If you wait a long time to vape, you're going to start wanting A CIGARETTE! Vaping your face off is the BEST way to NOT have those cravings!!!!

Andria

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
It was hard to read this, with all the missing punctuation, but why EVER would I want to wait and wait like that? I had to do that with CIGARETTES, they cost so blasted much; no way am I denying myself vaping when I can do it in the house, it DOESN'T cost a fortune, and the much longer time it takes for nicotine to be absorbed as opposed to how fast nicotine in smoke is absorbed! If you don't hit the vapor JUST AS SOON as you feel any need/want for it, you're going to find yourself having one hell of a craving that vapor takes a long time to assuage!!!!!

If you're new to vaping, find a low enough level of nicotine so that you can VAPE YOUR FACE OFF, or you're not going to find it satisfying!!! If you wait a long time to vape, you're going to start wanting A CIGARETTE! Vaping your face off is the BEST way to NOT have those cravings!!!!

Andria
First there is always some *&^% willing to point out the shortcomings and mistakes of others. I guess we now know who you are. Missed some punctuation So what. No harm meant there just pointing you out.

That said

The idea is to not be dependent on anything, do you plan to vape Nicotine for the rest of your life? I don't. The wait is to help wean down from dependent use, be it smokes or Nicotine vapor. By that statement you pointed out, I assumed most folks understood that, you not so much I guess. Vapping ones face off can lead to overdose of nicotine, at the very least some nice headaches and upset stomach. If that worked for you good, but I doubt it will work for the masses. Because something is low level doesn't make it any less dangerous if Abused. By your method I should be still smoking analogs, because You said yourself I cant be satisfied waiting. I assure you I am smoke free 3 weeks 5 days and I'm completely satisfied. The idea is to use the wait over a weeks time not in one day. I vape like I smoked when I want an analog I use my device, but I also try and wait to use it, so I will be using it less. I know its working for me as the device was in my face every half hour day one, now its every 3-4 hours and I'M SATISFIED 100%. Why? Because I use the Nic level I should I went from 24 to 18 to 12mg in 3 weeks time. I'm also spending lees each week on liquid. I'd be spending more, vaping all day long because the level isn't sufficiently helping me out, per your method.

Maybe you didn't understand we are trying to Quit smoking due to all the garbage were inhaling including the NICOTINE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread