For an RTA, what's the best # of wraps and ID for wicking/flavor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPearce7

Apr 16, 2015
Dothan, AL
I've been building on RDAs for the past year (almost exclusively Zippers and Fused Claptons) and have just gotten into RTAs. I currently have 2 Griffins, the Gemini, TFV4-G2, Aromamizer RTDA v2 and the Theorem(disregard this one for this discussion). I've built Zippers and Fused Claptons on these RTAs and prefer the Claptons. The Fused Claptons I build are:

All Kanthal: 36 on 26/26 & 40 on 26/26

Kanthal/SS316L mix: 36 on 28/28(SS316L) & 40 on 28/28(SS316L)

I get really good flavor from all, especially the SS/Kanthal mix. However, I feel like it could be wicking better. I generally do 6-8 wraps and always do 2.5mm ID.

My question: what # of wraps and what ID is best for wicking on a "Velocity" styles deck on an rta like the Griffin, Gemini and TFV4-G2? Is a larger ID better or worse? How many wraps will produce the best quality vapor?
*I am far more concerned with flavor than vapor. And my builds are usually between 0.17 - 0.27 ohms.

thanks for any help.

jonnychadootz

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
Westchester, NY
From my XP, there is no "best" it is all highly subjective. On my Kayfuns I tend to go clapton 26/30 - 4 wrap @ a 2.4 ID which usually ends up somewhere in the .75 area. This is on a series box. I also go for flavor over vapor, yet I can't complain about the vapor production on these builds. What I would give some warning about is that rta's typically have insulators which can melt at high temp builds. I have done it and that is at .75 (usually happens when fitting/testing coils) Luckily, I am obsessive with checking ohm's, my battery temps and changing my insulators when I feel they need to be.

LPearce7

Apr 16, 2015
Dothan, AL
The mods I'm currently using:

Mechs- Poldiac Classic, Poldiac Sleek, Panzer Tiger Pro, Panzer Golden Army and Chi You Megan
(using drippers on all of these)

Box Mods- Reuleaux DNA200, Reuleaux RX200, Vapor Flask Classic, iPV5 & iPV3.
(these are the ones I use the RTAs on)

I just bought the Smok TF RTA (G2 deck) ad the Smok TF RDTA (S2 deck). The RDTA is like a dripper. Every hit is as good as the the first hit after dripping on a dripper. I just wish it was 22mm, but it fits great on the Reuleaux. The RTA-G2 also wicks great. On both Smoks I have a slightly spaced 6.5 wrap, 2.5 ID Fused Clapton (26g SS316L core / 40g Kanthal wrap).

But on the Griffin, the flavor just isn't there. I wick it the exact same way but never get the same performance. The wicking holes are bigger on the Smok G2 and the S2 is completely different (similar to the Aromamizer RDTA but with 5x larger holes)

I'm thinking about trying the Sigelei Moonshot or the Avocado to get better flavor. I have the Theorem and I love the flavor. Not sure if it's the Notch coil or the tank

L-TR41N

Feb 24, 2016
California
The mods I'm currently using:

Mechs- Poldiac Classic, Poldiac Sleek, Panzer Tiger Pro, Panzer Golden Army and Chi You Megan
(using drippers on all of these)

Box Mods- Reuleaux DNA200, Reuleaux RX200, Vapor Flask Classic, iPV5 & iPV3.
(these are the ones I use the RTAs on)

I just bought the Smok TF RTA (G2 deck) ad the Smok TF RDTA (S2 deck). The RDTA is like a dripper. Every hit is as good as the the first hit after dripping on a dripper. I just wish it was 22mm, but it fits great on the Reuleaux. The RTA-G2 also wicks great. On both Smoks I have a slightly spaced 6.5 wrap, 2.5 ID Fused Clapton (26g SS316L core / 40g Kanthal wrap).

But on the Griffin, the flavor just isn't there. I wick it the exact same way but never get the same performance. The wicking holes are bigger on the Smok G2 and the S2 is completely different (similar to the Aromamizer RDTA but with 5x larger holes)

I'm thinking about trying the Sigelei Moonshot or the Avocado to get better flavor. I have the Theorem and I love the flavor. Not sure if it's the Notch coil or the tank

Do you still have the ring around the wick channels? Taking that off helps a ton. I find that slimming out the wick tails, but still retaining a little fluff works well. The Moonshot can be a bit finicky while building due to having to remove the entire build deck and not being able to screw it down on a mod or tab. The best flavor I've found from RTAs is always with spaced coils. Fused claptons are a bit harder to do spaced, but spaced single-strand coils and simple claptons are my favorite in tanks.

Reactions: Tom Waznis

Lucas Rong

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2015
Generally a bigger diameter would create a more restrictive airflow compared to a smaller diameter coil. **IN A TANK I usually build bigger diameter coils because i build super low and small diameter coils holds less cotton and is more likely to go dry on me. And I do so because I want clouds. However, on a RTA like the griffin, since it wicks so well, I say 2.5mm is a good mix of wicking and airflow. I usually build 28g x 36g fused claptons in my rta 7 wraps around a 2.5mm rod all nichrome. Great flavor and vapor imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread