For People Who Think The Provari Is Too Expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
Let's not kid each other.. If you want something, and can afford it.. go for it. You don't have to justify your conspicuous consumption to anyone. Oops, Don't tell my wife what I said!! Please!!

PS: the title of this link should be...
For People Who Think The Provari IS WAYYYYYY Too Expensive

Last edited:

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
I at first thought all the Provari fanboys(girls) were nuts... yes, the cost evens out (eventually) but not so much for me, about a previous 1/2-3/4 pack analog user.

So I bought twists. I'm not saying joyetech is bad, don't get me wrong. Or that twists/eGOs are bad... But my luck with them...

$20 Twist #1 bad charger (?)shorted first day ....
Vendor replaced #1 + charger(*hearts*) - replacement working... Paint scratched 2nd day on *canvas* in my purse.
$27 Twist #2 - from day 1 got hot while using. But not dangerously so... I thought it was the rubberized coating. Began acting funny on charger (charger led turns red, but ego does not blink).. Now randomly trips short circuit protection, even with NOTHING screwed on it. This one makes me NERVOUS.
Both above are genuine.

Tally for myself up to about $50

(Little sister) $20 one (off brand) twist used 2 weeks, died mid vape. No response from battery.

^Note $70 in equipment right there, only the first replacement is not going nuts.. I'm asking for a provari for Christmas!

Two different people, 3 different vendors, 2 different "brands", 2 different vaping styles Twist 1:4 in about two months.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Most of my friends and converts are extremely pleased with their Kgo BUT there are a few that needed the extra OOMPH and they found relief in buying a Provari, LT, Reo, Twist, etc. Myself I owned one and gave it away as I had no need for the higher voltage. Same thing some start vaping @ 36 mg while others begin @ 18...it's all very personal and I have no problems with whatever PV someone is using as long as it's keeping them off the stinkies...previously always owned a Lincoln but now that I'm retired I decided on a Grand Marquis- basically the exact same car minus a few bells and whistles and minus the Lincoln hood ornament but far cheaper.

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
I at first thought all the Provari fanboys(girls) were nuts... yes, the cost evens out (eventually) but not so much for me, about a previous 1/2-3/4 pack analog user.

So I bought twists. I'm not saying joyetech is bad, don't get me wrong. Or that twists/eGOs are bad... But my luck with them...

$20 Twist #1 bad charger (?)shorted first day ....
Vendor replaced #1 + charger(*hearts*) - replacement working... Paint scratched 2nd day on *canvas* in my purse.
$27 Twist #2 - from day 1 got hot while using. But not dangerously so... I thought it was the rubberized coating. Began acting funny on charger (charger led turns red, but ego does not blink).. Now randomly trips short circuit protection, even with NOTHING screwed on it. This one makes me NERVOUS.
Both above are genuine.

Tally for myself up to about $50

(Little sister) $20 one (off brand) twist used 2 weeks, died mid vape. No response from battery.

^Note $70 in equipment right there, only the first replacement is not going nuts.. I'm asking for a provari for Christmas!

Two different people, 3 different vendors, 2 different "brands", 2 different vaping styles Twist 1:4 in about two months.

What makes you think your luck will be any better with a Provari? Because it is so outrageously overpriced?

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
Exactly. A Twist works just fine, as a disposable device. In the end they are, even if their life span is mildly longer than the cig-a-likes. I just find it annoying when people come in acting like Provari owners are just throwing their money around.

I don't own a twist, have never owned a twist. I have a VV device that uses 18650 batteries and I didn't have to buy a $25 extension for it either. It's not as fancy as a provari, it's not built like a tank like a provari, but it works just fine for me, and it cost me a LOT less than a provari.

No one in this thread has said provari owners are throwing their money around. Far from it. If you want one and you can afford one, get one. The OP (as well as many other provari owners on this forum) made it sound like a provari will save you money vs another similar device and that non-provari owners are somehow deprived.

I find that annoying.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Do you get 15 - 30 months out of a Provari? No. I see too many people on these posts whining because their Provari is in the shop. No thanks. If I had bookoo bucks I would be singing another tune, but I have to watch my expenditures. And if this fella has the bucks (which he may) then I'd advise him to get a Provari too. It has lots of convenient features. As for me, a $25 Twist and my $20 multimeter is what will have to do.

I don't own a provari or a twist, but have watched threads on both for a few months now. I have seen more people say their twists stopped working after a fall than I have seen the same said about provari.

In fact with the provari users the main one that sticks in my mind of having to be sent in to be fixed was a member that dropped it in a swimming pool, and I am pretty sure anything other than a mechanical would have had problems with that.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
We should run a tally of the total number of "I love provari" posts there are, versus how many "My provari broke for a reason not including neglect" posts...

No one in this thread has said provari owners are throwing their money around. Far from it. If you want one and you can afford one, get one. The OP (as well as many other provari owners on this forum) made it sound like a provari will save you money vs another similar device and that non-provari owners are somehow deprived.

It has been insinuated in multiple posts in this thread... Ignoring that, it really depends how and how long you vape... eGo's tend to die around me, and I've had the same Provari and batteries for a year and half... I've definitely saved money. Plus, I vape 5v, which the Twist cannot even provide. There are alot of variables being ignored comparing the two.

Someone who can make an eGo live for 6 months and uses standard voltage maybe LR... It may in fact not be worth it to get a Provari...

Last edited:

Oh.Leever

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2012
California
either the information is a bit exaggerated or my math is wrong or... you smoked every 16 minutes? assuming you have a 16 hour wake priod. it's not unbelievable though since i smoke every half hour i'm awake but not doing something if that makes sense.. but i'm lucky i get most my cigarettes for free... shoot i'm more compelled to keep smoking lol

i think the formula would be more compelling, to me at least, if you factored in the other costs related to the provari such as juice, the accessories, the electric bill, up keep costs like replacement heads or what nots.. but then you'd have to factor in gas prices assuming you drive to buy cigarettes, and wear on your tires and brakes and omg it goes on and on what with the possibility of arthritis from all the button pushing on a small object and typing on ecf @_@

i don't think the provari is expensive. i think the main point is value and worth to each person.

i haven't slept yet

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
I have been looking at buying one but can't really figure out why it is going to be that much better for me. I can see it for the " I now own a provari factor" but as an old timer on retirement not so much. Say I buy a twist every 6 mos spending 20.00 -with a provari I still have to buy batteries for it. Convince me it's worth it. The way new equip is comming out no telling what there may be in 6 mos.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Another point folks are missing- far more expensive PVs out there, GG for instance. Also the Provari resale value, if one keeps it in great shape, is quite high BUT try and find a used Provari...if there are any they're snapped up in an instant.

I have been looking at buying one but can't really figure out why it is going to be that much better for me. I can see it for the " I now own a provari factor" but as an old timer on retirement not so much. Say I buy a twist every 6 mos spending 20.00 -with a provari I still have to buy batteries for it. Convince me it's worth it. The way new equip is comming out no telling what there may be in 6 mos.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla

What is your current setup? What is your current vaping style? How do you feel about the convenience of a built in multimeter?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
All I know is I own a Megalodon, Kgo, SD Keyring and now a Kgo VV. Paid $80 for the Don and except for buying new batts still my main vape today and in good as shape as the day I bought it.

As I mentioned in another post in this thread, based on the OPs's logic, wouldn't one of those devices save me even MORE money?

18SixFifty

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Michigan
If I had the extra money just hanging around I would probably buy one. However, the fact is that I don't need one. I started vaping way before they even considered variable voltage. So I am already stocked up with PV's APV's, mods etc. I did decide to try VV vaping but I wasn't about to spend around $200 to try it out when I already had a bunch of options that were all working fine. So instead I bought a vapor nine lava tube when they had them on sale. $27.75 cents delivered to my door. I already had batteries and chargers. Is it as great as a provary? I don't know I haven't owned a provary. I did vape one for a while and it was nice, nothing shockingly nice just a nice vape. So far the Lava Tube is nice and does what I expected. With a vivi nova and an 18650 I can vape all day with great hits and not worry about a thing. I do mess with the VV setting fairly often. For instance first thing in the morning it's set low than as the day goes on it gets set higher. That is kind of nice. It's nice to be able to check the battery too.

I guess my point is that everyone has their own priorities. I couldn't justify spending $200 on a device I didn't need. I'm sure for some people $200 is not a big deal. I don't have a lot of disposable income so for me it is. For others that need a new device and have the money then why not go for it?

elothen

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2012
Ft. Worth
I've had 2 EGO 3.4v, 2 EGO Twists, a VTube, and now my Provari. My Provari wins hands down. My juice tastes better on the Provari and my carts last longer than on the other devices. I've set my Twist at 4.2 and taken a few hits, then moved the tank to my Provari at 4.2 and taken a few hits and the taste/fullness of the hit is better on the Provari every time. I then moved it back and they were worse on the Twist. I've done this same test with my buddy at work swapping his Vivi Nova between my Provari and his Twist. We both agreed the Provari was better. I performed similar tests with my VTube and my neighbors VTube, same results. The only rational I can apply to this is that the Provari provides more consistent voltage under load than the other devices.

Now all of that being said, a LOT of people are happy for a long time with their EGO's (Twist or 3.4v). My VTube is very close in quality of vape but I came across a deal on a Provari and decided to throw down for the long term ROI. If not for the deal I got then I would have stuck with the VTube for a while. So long as you don't have regular exposure to a Provari (my wife had one) then you'll forget the difference over time.

My point is that the Provari isn't about throwing money around and it's not all hype. IMO, and that of the 6 vapers I hang out with on a regular basis, the Provari is rock solid, performs excellent, and is well worth the money.

One person pointed out that so long as you're not smoking then whatever you use it awesome and I agree with that 100%. However, people should know they have better options in the event they find what they have isn't doing the trick and they're tempted to go back to smoking and write off vaping as "it doesn't work". I've come across several EGO users who went back to analogs. I can't imagine, once you've dialed in your juice/atty/cart/tank, ever going back once you've used a Provari.

Yes, discounting the cost of consumables is a bad idea though. You lose instant credibility there. Then again, all of our "$ saved in cigarettes" signatures are guilty of the same thing. Vaping in any manner isn't free, it's just no more expensive than smoking in the long run. Add to it the health and lifestyle (no more smoking in 105° heat, rain, or snow) and it beats smoking hands down. With everything I've spent getting to this point I'm still 5 months out from my break even point on cost. If I factor in the subjective benefits I'm well past break even IMO.

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
What makes you think your luck will be any better with a Provari? Because it is so outrageously overpriced?

1.better device side protections before a battery gets murdered/pushed to its limits.
2. battery replacements even if battery just stops working is like what? 6-11$? VS. say $22 + shipping (depending on vendor)for a 1000mah twist.
3. I can actually choose to place a safer LiMN battery in it. I can't do this with a twist.

I'm sure there are others out there with lots of these features (or maybe all?) for lower prices. But... I'd have to look into warranties/safety features before deciding if the money saved was worth it.

I'm just saying, you get what you pay for I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread