For those who feel we don't have a voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Signed, left comment. Too bad the existing petition that had over 13,000 signatures was closed. It had 10,000 as the goal.

I smoked for 45 years. I tried numerous FDA-approved smoking cessation products, as well as other methods, to no avail. On March 27, 2009 I began using an electronic cigarette as an alternative to smoking. I have 19 packs of unopened cigarettes sitting in my dining room as proof that I no longer crave tobacco cigarettes. FDA has tried to paint e-cigarettes as hazardous to health. Like so many other e-cigarette users who are now former smokers, my health has improved. I stopped wheezing and can laugh out loud without going into a coughing fit. My BP has gone down to 118/79. The government needs to stop trying to prevent smoking cessation.

Cali

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2009
Arkansas
Well I set this one at 1000 signatures. Once it is reached I'll submit it and open yet another one. Once that one is filled i'll submit and i'll repeat the process until it gets noisy enough that we get a response. One time won't do it. Every signature on a petition represents approximately 10 voters statistically if I remember the equation correctly (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.)

I just want to throw an interesting dynamic out there for those who feel their vote "doesn't count" Ever single person's vote and voice counts as 2 votes in an election process. So when you cast your vote it is actually counted as 2. here is how that works mathematically.

In a pool of 100 voters split down the middle between 2 parties we would have an even vote distribution of 50/50. That's one vote per person. If, however, one voter switches sides their vote now counts as two votes.

The vote split then becomes 49/51 creating a 2 vote deficit for the losing party. That means that every voter who swings into the other side creates yet another 2 vote deficit. 48/52 47/53 46/54 and so on. So If you take all of this into consideration and if I do remember the voter to signature ration that means 1,000 signatures equates to 10,000 voters which potentially creates a 20,000 vote count and deficit for the parties in question (or proposition, legislation, etc. IE ban on ecigs).

Now 20,000 votes on a national level doesn't equate to a lot but if we send in 10 of these petitions over the next few months that equates to 200,000 votes and starts making some noise. So again I challenge everyone to get their friends and families to sign these so we can let our government know that any plans they choose to make will directly impact their ability to stay in office.

MarkB

Moved On
Jan 12, 2010
California
signed. Make some noise.

The government that WE the people elect MUST support the best interest of the country at large. FACT: Over 443,000 Americans (over 18 percent of all deaths) die because of smoking each year. Secondhand smoke kills about 50,000 of them. FACT: independent test results show that although there are detectable levels of certain elements, which are found in all other approved nicotine based products already marketed, they are at levels below those determined to be harmful and well below the minimum risk levels accepted by the US Public Health Service and OSHA FACT: The e-cigarette or personal vaporizer is a SAFER alternative to a traditional tobacco cigarette FACT: NUMEROUS smokers have successfully and happily left traditional tobacco cigarettes behind them in favor of the e-cigarette FACT: There is no risk of second hand smoke in the use of an e-cigarette FACT. It is unacceptable for our elected officials to overlook fact in favor of flawed and incomplete propaganda presented by ANY organization who's agenda does not lie within the best interests of the American people. Please do your research. Find the facts. Choose your side wisely. There are millions of Americans who now have an alternative to the deadly effects of smoking and second hand smoke. Please do not be a party to any corruption that would try to steal that away.

Puffice

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
In front of this screen
What is their problem? I just happened to be on this site for other reasons, don't live in Utah but I assume this means everywhere?
This infuriates me and I could go on for decades on how I horrible I think they have treated the smoker, taken zillions of tax dollars on one hand and bashing on the other, when most of them started it.
Claiming raise in heathcare yet not concerned about the drug attics and alcohols that is way more costly. Now this? I hate to say this but they are concerned they are going to loose that tax dollars & jobs that the cigarette's bring in. Excuse my rant, very touchy subject for me. Smokers should of spoke up long ago.
Can't post the URL, still new but below is from the Desert News Media site.

SALT LAKE CITY — After adopting clarifying language and a discussion that, at times, was anything but, a legislative committee approved a bill Tuesday that would effectively ban many nicotine-laced products, including so-called electronic cigarettes.
Despite testimony by e-cigarette users that inhaling the vapors produced by the battery-powered devices allows smokers to stop inhaling tar and other compounds in cigarette smoke, all but one member of the House Health and Human Services Committee voted to pass second substitute SB71 sponsored by Rep. Paul Ray, R-Clearfield.
New candy or mint-based nicotine products also would be banned. Flavored moist tobacco or snuff that has been sold for several decades would be exempted.
The bill now moves to the House floor for consideration.
— James Thalman

How about some congressional oversight to stop the FDA from overstepping!

Good luck with that, as things currently stand. We, for the most part as private citizens, have been trying every available channel. Thus far, it's really hard to say that our voices have made an impact. Things like this petition are just going to reinforce our voices. With any luck, it will help. If not, I'm not too sure what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread