The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

For those who have questions about Nextel & Wire....

Discussion in 'The GG' started by MrKrinkle, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MrKrinkle

MrKrinkle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Im posting this thread because I have been receiving an abundance of PM's in regards to the use of Nextel...

XC-116 is the Nextel of choice... best treated by Kiln but torch or stove top works well to burn of the coating put on it at the factory... It must be heat treated before use in ODY or any other rebuildable till it glows bright red.... do this several times to make sure the coating has been melted away... you can not melt the Nextel so burn the heck out of it.... XC is the material and 116 is the size diameter and the last number reflects the lenth in feet... XC4 does not work as well and is very flaky compared to the regular XC... I understand the XS also works well but know nothing about if it has a coating or not like the XC...

To clarify for example XC-116-10 = XC is the material, 116 is the size in diameter, and 10 is the length in feet...I mention this again because its very simple if you understand how to read the part number...

I hope this clarifies any questions regarding the use of Nextel in ODY or any other rebuildable atomizer...

2. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    In regards to wire.... Kanthal A1 is my wire of choice... 32g is best for coils from 0.8ohm to about 2.5 ohm... 36gage is best for HV vaping coils from 2.5 ohm up to 4ohm... both can usually be found on ebay for a great price...

I also use. 999 Silver Dead Soft, 30gage for my NR wire and can be found at TwistedJewels.com... shipping is free for orders over $20.00 and 95ft. Is a half oz. which should last you quite a while...

3. blackwater

blackwater Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 19, 2011
    NH
    Saweeeet! That's great info to have!
    Thanks a bunch. Is there a video of you making a coil?

Thanks,

Chris

4. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    No video of me making a coil but there is a video for making 0.9ohm dual coils which should be around on this forum somewhere and thats pretty much my coil of choice usually make them between 0.8ohm & 1.0ohm for my tatses... which I find to be the closest thing to HV vaping without the risk of stacking batteries...

5. blackwater

blackwater Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 19, 2011
    NH
    Thanks. I'll check it out!

6. Bishopheals

Bishopheals Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Staten Island
    Thanks for the hand earlier. I ended up buying the kanthol A1 32 gauge 200 feet and the pure silver 30 gauge 200 feet with the Nextel XC-116 50 feet. Im set for a year maybe 2. thanks bro.

7. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    No problem happy to help.... but remember to really burn the heck out of that Nextel... 3 or 4 times till shes glowing bright red... you really DO NOT WANT TO VAPE THE COATING that comes on it from the factory.... You cant melt it by flame or torch so torture it like it was a witch... burn the haities right out of it....

8. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    This just came up in regard to Kanthal A1 vs. Kanthal A.... there is no big difference between the two other than A1 has a slightly higher aluminum content than Kanthal A... as for vaping purposes there are no real notable differences in performance, production or flavor...

9. Bishopheals

Bishopheals Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Staten Island
    I have np for that i got me some butane blow torches that i used on my cigars.

10. N1tro

N1tro Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2012
    Vancouver bc
    Thumbs up! For mrkrinkle!

11. imeothanasis

imeothanasis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    more than one thumb for mrkrinkle. A very helpful person that discovered the "mrkrinkle method" for wick on Ody

12. Roxxette

Roxxette Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2012
    Caribbean
    What are the benefits of the nextel ? how it compares to the ody wick from cov ?

thanks.

13. fright88

fright88 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 21, 2011
    Loveland CO
    Some benefits
    readily available if you are in the us
    some find it has better flavor but flavoring is always subjective
    will not burn while the stock wick shouldn't burn at the temps penelope or ody produce I have had it burn when torched Nextel can withstand a higher temp so it is very unlikely you will burn it with a torch.

That being said I rarely reuse a wick after I have taken it out of my ody. It is fairly cheap and not worth the hassle to me to reuse it.

14. springfieldarms

springfieldarms Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2011
    Albuquerque
    Just ordered 10ft of the XC-116. Dang expensive but I'm excited to give it a shot. Thx Mr.Krinkle. Is your name a Primus reference by any chance?

15. Roszam

Roszam Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Malta
    Any alternative to Nextel in Europe?

16. Ariel_MX

Ariel_MX Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2010
    Guadalajara, México
    The alternative is the Nextel XS-116 (silica), I bought it for testing purposes, the shipping is very expensive. The original wick is by far much better than the Nextel XS-116.

17. MrSheen

MrSheen Full Member Verified Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Gibraltar
    I have some XC-116 which was sent to me with one of my mods. Now, living in Europe, its probably the only XC I'm probably going to have. So , here's my question, could I re-use the wick , maybe give it a rinse out and use it again?

18. fright88

fright88 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 21, 2011
    Loveland CO
    It can likely be burn cleaned. Depending on how hot your torch gets you should be fine. I do recommend rinsing in alcahol or water after a torching though to clean it though.

19. MrKrinkle

Feb 13, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    PRIMUS SUCKS & Les Claypool for President!!!

20. springfieldarms

springfieldarms Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2011
    Albuquerque
    Keep on sailing the seas of cheese brother!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.