Former Light Analog Smokers What Strength Liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's the thing my mom has seen how well vaping has worked for me and she wants to make the switch so for Easter I'm going to order her a pen style with all the extras and a couple of bottles of liquid. My question is she always smoked light 100's and about a half to 3/4 of a pack a day so what level of e-liquid do I get her? I know I used to smoke reds so it was the high octane 36mg for me but for her since she smokes lights and less of them then I did so I'm really not sure what to go with. Any input from some of the former light smokers here would be greatly appreciated.

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
A typical pack a day smoker would use 11 mg or medium. I can vape that and if you feel like that is too strong, cut it with VG or PG in half. Works perfect for a lighter smoker. I wouldn't order low cuz you can at least get more bang for your buck if you have to cut medium. I'd start there. I've never ever touched anything above 11. Too potent for me. I buy higher and then cut it to save money. Your body tells you when it's too much believe me, it will tell you. One supplier accidentally sent me a way higher strength, don't know what it was, but it was so noticeable. My heart was racing and pounding so bad and that was with it cut in half. It must have been 24. So your body tells you.

A typical pack a day smoker would use 11 mg or medium. I can vape that and if you feel like that is too strong, cut it with VG or PG in half. Works perfect for a lighter smoker. I wouldn't order low cuz you can at least get more bang for your buck if you have to cut medium. I'd start there. I've never ever touched anything above 11. Too potent for me. I buy higher and then cut it to save money. Your body tells you when it's too much believe me, it will tell you. One supplier accidentally sent me a way higher strength, don't know what it was, but it was so noticeable. My heart was racing and pounding so bad and that was with it cut in half. It must have been 24. So your body tells you.

See that's where my problem is I know how much I can take but I'm not sure what she can take and I don't want to get her anything too high or even worse to low. I really want to make sure she enjoys it and that it works for her. I guess I could go a little high and cut it for her if it's to much after all I can always cut it lower but I can't raise it if it's too low.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Personally, if money weren't a huge concern, I'd probably get a low and a medium nic concentration of the same flavor, which would allow you to adjust the strength without messing with the flavor.

Like Lucky, I often buy high nic concentrations and cut it, but if I cut with VG and/or PG, the taste gets diluted . . . and then you need to add flavoring . . . and that can be hit or miss. :oops: Right now, you want her to have the best possible experience, and that means good tasting e-liquid.

If money were a concern, though, I'd just get the medium and do the cut and flavor method. :)

Banqer

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
My friend who sold eCigs in Canada, whom is no longer in business because of the ban, made an excel spreadsheet calculator to help people determine the milage of different strengths of eliquids. I believe the address for the sheet still works... it is http://www.vapevapour.ca/AnalogtoeCigCalculatorforNicotine.xls

If you find any problems with the calculator I am sure my friend would be willing to refine it.

Banqer

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Based on using the calculator myself and estimated variables... it sounds like your mother should be using a low nicotine cartridge... since she would need approx 6 epuffs to get the equivilant nicotine. This is assuming the cigarettes she is smoking give .4mg of nicotine.

Of course she could use a medium cartridge and only take 5 puffs... or a high cart with 3 puffs.

Last edited:

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
this is not easy to say. Why?

Because there are liquids which are med/low and they FLASH good....and there are liquids which are "high" but dont flash.

It could be that she gets a really low nic liquid and (subjectively) its too strong for her, and of course the other way around.

My rough recommendation: Since she smoked lights...i would get a bunch of med flavors.

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
ok.. being the newbee that i am..... i ordered extra high 36mg.. now im scarred to use it... LOL.... and what is the VG mean???? can i mix it with something to dilute it????

Vaping 36 is ridiculous IMO. Yes, you can cut it with VG or PG. I prefer PG. IF you cut it 50/50 you will have 18. If you want 9 out of it you will have to cut that 50/50 again. You will lose a lot of flavor during the process, but if it's menthol, it still seems to do okay because menthol is just stronger to start with. So it just depends. You can order the VG or PG alone directly from www.juicyliquids.com from Jaxx.

ProStreet

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
Montgomery county Maryland
I must be abnormal compared to most of you. I smoked a pack a day of marlboro menthol lights and it took 24mg liquid to keep me satisfied. I never once got any ill effects from the 24mg or the 36mg liquid.

Get this currently I vape between 2 to 3ml a day of 24mg with none of the to much nic side effects. Some times I have to vape 15 minutes non stop to get that "ahhhh theres my nic" feeling.

Think about it like this. The nic is suspended in the vapor particals when you inhale. When you exhale look how much vapor you are blowing out. The nic is still in that vapor. It didnt magically jump out of the vapor onto your lungs. When the vapor touches something it settles on that object because vapor is nothing more than super fine liquid droplets. Smoke on the other hand is dry and transfers the nicotine much better than vaporized liquid dropplets. So next time you exhale you might as well wave bye bye to most of your nicotine.

Last edited:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I must be abnormal compared to most of you. I smoked a pack a day of marlboro menthol lights and it took 24mg liquid to keep me satisfied. I never once got any ill effects from the 24mg or the 36mg liquid.

I certainly wouldn't call you abnormal. ;) Just listening to people tell their tales here on the forum, it seems pretty clear that people have different nicotine tolerances, and they absorb nicotine at differing rates.

There are some folks who can't seem to vape enough to satisfy their craving, even at the very high concentrations. But for those who do not fall into that category, it can be quite easy to suffer some real discomfort (or possibly worse) by taking in too much nicotine.

Thus, the best practice is generally to start off low and then tinker until you find the level that works best for you.

Think about it like this. The nic is suspended in the vapor particals when you inhale. When you exhale look how much vapor you are blowing out. The nic is still in that vapor. It didnt magically jump out of the vapor onto your lungs. When the vapor touches something it settles on that object because vapor is nothing more than super fine liquid droplets. Smoke on the other hand is dry and transfers the nicotine much better than vaporized liquid dropplets. So next time you exhale you might as well wave bye bye to most of your nicotine

Now, I could be wrong on this because I'm not a scientist (and I don't even play one on TV), but my understanding is that Runyan is claiming that over 98% of the nicotine is absorbed and the exhaled vapor contains virtually no nicotine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread