Former More 120's smoker turned e-cig fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenFromNYC

Jul 12, 2020
New York
Hey all,
Thought I'd say hi. I have been smoking More 120's for years but finally decided to take up e-cigs right around march when covid started and I was working from home. Kind of didn't want to
A) smell up my apartment
B) really wanted to the health benefits I have read about by switching to E-cigs.

Since Covid I have bought 4 packs of regular cigs in 12 weeks or so. The last one was this past thursday. I really want that one to be the last. Does anyone else have this challenge of wanting to go e-cig only and then venturing back to tobacco cigs? And if so what do you do to curb that problem?

I am vaping MIG -ecigs and they are very long batteries and using two separette menthol juices and they are 90% as satisfying as a normal cig, but still I'll rebound to normal cigs.
I have tried juuls and they were just not for me. Very harsh and I'd cough up a storm.

I have found that if I do e-cigs only for two weeks I feel so good. Breathing good, mood good, more energy etc. Any tips or advice much welcome!

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Welcome, and congratulations on deciding to switch! How much of a challenge switching is seems to be very individual. A few people pick up a vape and never want to smoke again, some "dual use" (smoke and vape at the same time) for a little while before transitioning easily into vaping only, and some have to struggle a little or a lot to finally give up the cigarettes. You're definitely not alone.

Some tips that might help:
  • Don't beat yourself up if you slip up. It's best if you can go right back to vaping after having a cigarette instead of smoking for a spell, but even if you have a period of smoking, you can always try again.
  • There's no need to worry much about your nicotine levels. The health effects of cigarettes are mostly due to ash and tar rather than nicotine, so even if you switch to something with a very high level of nicotine, you're still way ahead. Additionally, a lot of people who had a hard time switching from cigarettes to vaping actually find it much easier to cut down the nicotine once they're vaping solidly. I'm not too familiar with the MIG, but it seems to come in set nicotine strengths with big gaps between them. If you need something in between, there are a lot of other, more customizable options. We'll be happy to point you to something that might suit you better if you can't find what you need with your current setup.
  • Some people find it helpful to have different strengths of ejuice/e-cigs around - one that satisfies them most of the time, and a higher concentration of nicotine for when they're really craving a cigarette.
  • Nicotine is not the only psychoactive substance in cigarettes/tobacco. If you really get stuck and can't switch to a standard nicotine vape, there are other options that provide more of the chemicals from tobacco without as much risk as a cigarette. They tend to be either more troublesome, more expensive or a little riskier than standard vaping, so they're not necessarily where you want to go first, but if vaping just isn't cutting it for you they can be good choices. For example, there's Snus (little tobacco packets you hold against your gums) and WTA (whole tobacco alkaloids - extracts from tobacco including the non-nicotine elements that you can add to your ejuice for vaping). If, in time, you need to go in that direction, we can point you to more information.
Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. Good luck!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am a forever quitter. When I am intensely stressed, I have been known to smoke. The intervals keep getting longer, however. I don't celebrate anniversaries, I just keep at it. I don't even toss cigarettes because my husband smokes, so they are always around.

I went from 3 pp/d to... 4 a year, maybe?

I truly count the ones I smoke, but only because they are so few and far between. I had pneumonia for 18 months until I finally gave up, gave in and said VAPE!!! I had scarring on my left lobe from all the pneumonia, and like, when I got a MRI they couldn't even find the scars!

Can't argue with that, and I truly.... Just knowing I am a stress smoker helps me a lot, to delay, and delay and delay.

It will come. There are lots of tricks and tips and things but like, for me, it's just remembering what that was LIKE. OMG.

Maybe a higher nic setup for when you really "need" a cigarette. I would smoke half of one, vape in the middle and often discover I did not want the end.

Normally I would suggest WTA liquid but if you are having issues with the alkaloids (which are anti anxiety and anti depressant parts of the tobacco plant) you can try Swedish snus, confusingly labeled in the US "American General Snus" and some folks find it helpful for those high pressure situations.

Keep up the good work and welcome, ECF is pulling for you :)

Anna

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Does anyone else have this challenge of wanting to go e-cig only and then venturing back to tobacco cigs?

Most of us when we first started, some of us even after years of vaping.
And if so what do you do to curb that problem?

Just vape; you won't have time to smoke--kind of hard to do both at once. If you feel like you're about to break a window or kick your dog, have a smoke and go back to vaping. You may also consider getting better, more up-to-date gear--it helps a lot. MIG is very outdated (ca 2008 technology) and hopelessly inefficient. Look around, there so many choices.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Last edited:

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
Hey all,
Thought I'd say hi. I have been smoking More 120's for years but finally decided to take up e-cigs right around march when covid started and I was working from home. Kind of didn't want to
A) smell up my apartment
B) really wanted to the health benefits I have read about by switching to E-cigs.

Since Covid I have bought 4 packs of regular cigs in 12 weeks or so. The last one was this past thursday. I really want that one to be the last. Does anyone else have this challenge of wanting to go e-cig only and then venturing back to tobacco cigs? And if so what do you do to curb that problem?

I am vaping MIG -ecigs and they are very long batteries and using two separette menthol juices and they are 90% as satisfying as a normal cig, but still I'll rebound to normal cigs.
I have tried juuls and they were just not for me. Very harsh and I'd cough up a storm.

I have found that if I do e-cigs only for two weeks I feel so good. Breathing good, mood good, more energy etc. Any tips or advice much welcome!
You & i are in very similar circumstances, including being home due to covid & using Mig e-cigs.

- i never intended to stop smoking entirely, just to smoke less. i set myself a limit of 5/day, down from 15-25, and expected to go over that limit sometimes. Turned out, more days than not, it's 0. Almost never more than 2. Since first starting to vape in mid-March, i've bought only 2 packs and am still on the 2nd. So i'd suggest you don't push yourself to quit entirely; feeling pressure is only going to make you feel you need a cigarette, even if the pressure is coming from yourself. Vaping is amazing, just let it do it's magic.

- Congress is in the process of making it more expensive to get vape stuff through the mail and the FDA will almost certainly drive most of it out of the US soon. It's a good idea to stock up on batteries and clearomizers now. You can find lower priced batteries that are compatible with Mig's here:
Electronic Cigarettes | E-Liquids | Vaporizers | Clearomizers and both batteries & clearomizers here: Electronic Cigarette & E-Cigarette Products | Premium Ecigarettes but be warned, they cost less for a reason; Mig's are superior and will last longer. Also, if you do try SmokeTip or Premium, don't interchange chargers.

- If, like me, you want to try more advanced equipment, as Katya suggested above, there are some very kind people here who may help you. The forums are full of useful info. And if you'd like any help from a fellow Mig-using newbie, just PM me (hover your cursor over "Inbox" and click "Start a New Conversation").

StevenFromNYC

Jul 12, 2020
New York
Thank you all for kind words and support. I like the mig batteries because they seem to have the longest batteries on the market and make the e-cig even longer than the More 120s I would smoke, so the feel is similar, which seems to help. They did stop selling menthol juice on MIG but I have bought juice locally but even that is getting outlawed here in NYC as vape shops can only sell menthol juice of what they have on hand and not order anymore...so effed up!!!

I started a few years ago with V2s, and migs seem to be the best for compatibility with v2 cartridges and their screw on vape tanks save money and provide a good throat hit..
I think half of urge for me is to have something look and feel as similar to a tobacco cig as possible.

StevenFromNYC

Jul 12, 2020
New York
thank you..I think I have the resolve to do so. And last question for now. I am sure many have seen the this what happens when you quit smoking timeline..Like here
What happens after you quit smoking? A timeline

is this also basically true for those that only vape...and refrain from combustible cigs?

Link doesnt' seem to be allowed but if you google "quit smoking timeline" you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think anyone knows for certain. All I can tell you is my cholesterol is perfect now (was on meds previously) I can breathe deeply, no inhalers, and I feel MUCH better. IDK what the progression is but ALL my PCPs told me (they knew what kind of smoker I was) that I should keep vaping the rest of my life if it stopped me from smoking. I mean... I think the only concern is mild vascular things if you overdo it but I have heard it said nic is about on the same level as caffeine.

It truly is about the tar and combustion and ecigs don't have that. I have no idea how you will detox everyone is totally different I think. There is some awesome sticky post about "what to expect when switching to vaping." I can never find it but I found it (at the time) to be very helpful for stuff like med absorption (I needed to drop my thyroid med for example) and other stuff.

May be worth a read I bet someone will be able to dig it up..

Anna

Reactions: Katya

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I quit over night. I smoked before I went to bed and had a vape setup ready to go for the morning. It was strong, but nicotine is not what I was trying to get away from.

I vaped and put my vaporizer out of direct line of sight. I vaped 4-5 times and just let my body tell me when I needed to take another 4-5 draws.

By noon, I knew that vaping would satisfy my nic need.

I realize that a good part of my success was that I was disgusted with cigarettes. I stank, my clothes stank. I had to take a break when I didn't really have time to to do so. I stealth vaped.

I made a list of why cigarettes were bad. I put that list in my prominent spots around the house (fridge, bath mirror)

Another thing was that I made vaping into something of a hobby. I learned about how to make my vaping more enjoyable. Sure, I spent money, but I did not spend more per month than I did for when I smoked. So long as I did not smoke, I spent for better vape items.

I read everyday, and I still do, here on ECF.

I learned. I was committed, I succeeded. I had an attitude to win.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hey all,
A) smell up my apartment

I continued to smoke ocassionally when I started to vape at the 24mg juice level. I found myself infatuated with vaping and soon I was only smoking after meals and vaping the rest of the time. About 3 months into vaping I realized that it was silly to dual use, since the vape was delivering the nic, and I decided to finish the last pack and just vape. I did that and never wanted another cigarette. Vaping 24mg juice in MTL mode (like a cigarette) was the ticket for quitting.

I expected some withdrawal issues, but I just vaped a little harder for a few days and was satisfied. It was surprising how easy it was to quit using a high nic vape.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
thank you both! great links and advice.
Very few of us will unlikely see your appreciation reply above because we do not get any followup notifications as you have posted. You can click "like" (the thumbs up) icon, or other icons, at bottom right hand corner (of this post thumbs up symbol) ditto for each reply. This action will notify the poster(s) of your chosen noted response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread