Forum suddenly blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

youfillintheblank

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I don't know if this is a technical issue or not. All of a sudden, I can't get on the forum at work. The message comes up "policy restricts time for this site. Message boards and forums is filtered", but the weird thing is....I can get on other forums, other e-cig forums like Trog's site no problem.

What happened?? Did some kind of setting change on SJs end? Anybody know a way around this? My company doesn't have any huge issues with Internet use at work, the managers are on looking at stuff all the time.

the program they use is called Websense if that makes a difference. Someone must know a way through this

SJ, did you change anything lately?

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
the program they use is called Websense if that makes a difference. Someone must know a way through this

Ugh. Websense can be configured to block categories of site, so it's probably the way your company has it set up, but it has been known to accidentally block the sites of subversive organisations such as Amnesty International and Facebook.

Your best bet is a word with the IT people if you're on good terms with them. Failing that, there are proxy plugins for FireFox which can get past it (search to "proxy" in FireFox add-ons). That might get you in trouble at work though, so I never told you about them.

bishop

Feb 27, 2009
columbia sc
I tried everything guys....nothing worked...:(

everything short of talking to the admin, but it's a big place......and I don't even know who it is!!

Me sad now....

depending on the admin and their talents/ laziness, they may have only blocked 1 path to the main entry page for the site, try emailing yourself a link to this forum post directly and click on the link from your email at work.

sometimes you get lucky

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
I tried everything guys....nothing worked...:(

everything short of talking to the admin, but it's a big place......and I don't even know who it is!!

Me sad now....

Do you have a home machine and broadband? If you do then you can set up a server on that and tunnel through it to the web. It's a bit of messing about but not too hard. There are loads of tutorials on the web - here's one to give you an idea.

CandyGirl

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
I'm surprised that the web based proxy didn't work. You could use something like logmein as I believe it uses port 80. That way you could just connect to your home system and surf away. They offer a free version for a single connection. Hope this helps.

my brother used to do this to listen to a radio talk show at work that blocked streaming.

CellWho

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
very interesting that you can get a route out on the mac and not on the pc. This tells me that we should be able to make this happen. My guess is that they probably route your browser through a proxy server i.e. for Internet Explorer - Tools -> internet options -> Connections -> Lan Setting button near the bottom. Now if the mac works without using a proxy you should be able to simply remove the info and restart and it may work. Just remember to write down what you see so you can put it back. You could also just download google chrome (light weight) browser and try that.

Let us know if this works. I have some other solutions, but they are little bit more complicated :)

Rob

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Wisconsin
First I'd recommend seeing if policy changes were made to limit or eliminate time spent on forums at work, and if not, talk to an admin to have the site manually added to the allow list. Using a workaround can and most likely WILL get you into hot water...nothing like a bored JR admin playing Big Brother to ruin your day :) Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread