Found another way to totally wreck DIY juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I can tolerate DIY juice that has no flavour. I can live with some strange back notes, and have even survived 27 Fish which smells and tastes so artificial, but actually is not that bad when steeped and vaped. If it doesn't taste good, I will generally shrug my shoulders, put it down to experience and move on.

What I can't cope with is harsh, scratchy juice that sandpapers your throat.

I thought too much nic, high PG or too short a steep time were to blame. They are, but I've found another method if you really want to wreck your DIY creations.

Just leave it to steep too long, especially if there is air in the bottle.

Have 2 batches of juice go South that way, one was a really nice tobacco in the early stages of the steep cycle so it wasn't the mix ratios.

So if you want that chilli, abrasive, harsh effect just leave 10ml of juice in a 100ml juice bottle for 4 months or so. Guaranteed paint stripper.

Saying that, they are a beautiful colour.

:mad::confused::(

(Oops, meant to post in DIY thread)

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018
I can tolerate DIY juice that has no flavour. I can live with some strange back notes, and have even survived 27 Fish which smells and tastes so artificial, but actually is not that bad when steeped and vaped. If it doesn't taste good, I will generally shrug my shoulders, put it down to experience and move on.

I thought too much nic, high PG or too short a steep time were to blame. They are, but I've found another method if you really want to wreck your DIY creations.

Have 2 batches of juice go South that way, one was a really nice tobacco in the early stages of the steep cycle so it wasn't the mix ratios.

So if you want that chilli, abrasive, harsh effect just leave 10ml of juice in a 100ml juice bottle for 4 months or so. Guaranteed paint stripper.

This is why I don't make batches over 30ml.

As for steeping, I put it in a crock pot on the lowest setting for a few hours, take it out to shake-n-vape some and leave the cap off the remainder overnight.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

Yes, I agree only to leave cap off for 1 day maybe 2 but no longer. And imo your mix was way over-flavored to become that harsh. The reason is just because we start using a mix after a week or two of steeping does not stop the aging process. Depending on the flavor, amount used etc it will age until it totally reach full capacity of the flavor. Most people are very impatient(myself included) and do not wish to wait for the flavoring to stop developing. If we all waited at least a month before vaping we would find that we would actually use less flavoring to achieve the same results we think we have reached at 1 week or 2. In DIY less is actually more. It the human practice of wanting immediate that is the culprit. LOL as always YYMV and just my 2 pennies.

:)

edit and as @Letitia will tell you---burp the bottle. LOL What she means is to remove as much air as possible right before putting the cap on. In soft plastic squeeze bottles--squeeze gently until the liquid rises to just before coming out of the top. LOL

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
And imo your mix was way over-flavored to become that harsh.

Yeah, I was disappointed, it was a recipe by a Youtube Mixer (DIY Eliquid Recipes), about 7-10 days into the steep it was "just right" and a darned good vape. I might try it again, using lower %'s.

edit and as @Letitia will tell you---burp the bottle.[/QUOTE]

I'm now totally torn. I love glass as it is easily cleanable, love plastic as it easy to get into any atty with a needle point, but hate that some juices really linger no matter if you UC them. I managed to rescue one with a combination of lemon juice, washing up liquid and 5 cycles in the UC bath.

Looks like plastic is the way to go, only my custards seem to have survived the 100ml glass bottle challenge :(.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I only keep nic and some flavoring in glass. I don't mix with them. I hate those dripper caps that have the the long dripper stem thingy on them.......I only make messes with those. lol

Are your plastic bottles low density or aka as ldpe? I have had bottles last a long time in this type of material...I only have about 3 or 4 flavors that will stay in the residue of the bottle so depending on
1. If I plan to remake using these flavors
2. If the bottle is new or in good condition

I have kept re-using them for the same flavors (so not all is lost).
Bottles are inexpensive( at least the ldpe ones) so I don't mind having to toss some.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Also just to show you an example of the bottles(system) I use. here is a link. I will only buy a few of these from this shop if I need them in a hurry(which is not often) I do buy in quantity from another company you will laugh at me for. I use the type of bottles are in listed 1st and 2nd listings in this category. The 2nd listing shows the same as bottle as the 1st listing but includes a luer fit needle. Those needles are too high in gauge(opening width of needle) for most diy mixing. The higher the gauge the smaller the opening.

Make Your Own DIY Eliquid/Juice and Candy

If you like this product and want more info just ask and I can explain it(if needed). I will will provide a link to the company I buy from to show you how 8 or 9 years ago when I first started out mixing my own ejuice and there absolutely no diy vendors to buy anything from so we had to get creative and build(so to speak) our own systems. I certainly don't expect you to purchase from them just give an idea for you to on what type of company may carry these in your country to start looking for in the UK and maybe not have to pay the prices vendors charge after their markups. Just something for you to think about or consider.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
The white soft squeezy ones, they are not HDPE or PET. Could be LDPE, although they are not marked as such.
There should be a number on the bottom of the bottle. Sometimes within a triangle. Single digit. I will see if I can find a listing for the different types of plastic bottles use and the standardization that the plastic industry established to identify the type of plastic used in the making of that bottle.

Reactions: IDJoel

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
This link is a start and informative. I think the standard for plastic is worldwide, so correct me if I am wrong.

Types of Plastic and Their Recycle Codes The numbers explained towards the middle of the article(scroll down) and show them in triangles. I know there are more specific and detailed listings I just need to find them.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
This link is a start and informative. I think the standard for plastic is worldwide, so correct me if I am wrong.

Types of Plastic and Their Recycle Codes The numbers explained towards the middle of the article(scroll down) and show them in triangles. I know there are more specific and detailed listings I just need to find them.

Here's another one, Sugar. I bookmarked it quite a while ago, and I don't remember if you, or @JCinFLA, shared it. :blush:
Plastic Bottles: Are They Safe & What Do The Numbers Mean?

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018
Yeah, I was disappointed, it was a recipe by a Youtube Mixer (DIY Eliquid Recipes), about 7-10 days into the steep it was "just right" and a darned good vape. I might try it again, using lower %'s.

edit and as @Letitia will tell you---burp the bottle.

I'm now totally torn. I love glass as it is easily cleanable, love plastic as it easy to get into any atty with a needle point, but hate that some juices really linger no matter if you UC them. I managed to rescue one with a combination of lemon juice, washing up liquid and 5 cycles in the UC bath.

Looks like plastic is the way to go, only my custards seem to have survived the 100ml glass bottle challenge :(.[/QUOTE]

Which recipe was it?

What works for me when it comes to plastic vs glass...
*Plastic is for juice that's going to be vaped within a week.
*Glass is purely for storage, mixing and steeping in the crock pot.

As for the comment about burping plastic bottles to remove excess air, simple solution for glass is to just eliminate that available space by filling up close to the lip. Gases and liquids can't occupy the same space. Also smaller bottles, smaller batches.

In terms of the numbers on bottles, main thing to know is to focus on using either those with a 4 or a 5.

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018
I live in France and the LDPE bottles are surprisingly difficult to find at a good price. Anyone got any suggestions?

Obviously within Europe if poss :p:)

If you think free is a good price, look no further then any fast food restaurant and help yourself to the ketchup bottles.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

Looks like plastic is the way to go, only my custards seem to have survived the 100ml glass bottle challenge :(.

Filing the glass to the top leaves no room to shake the bottle properly. So if you mix in it and steep in it, how are you planning to blend ingredients? Not everyone has a magnetic stir-er and with no room for the ingredients to agitate= no blending.
btw---its is ok to address the 'person making the comment by name' Your wording is a bit offensive. geez

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: charlie1465

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018
@Sugar_and_Spice I missed the part of my language being offensive. I do realize that I might have accidentally messed up the quoting system and made things more confusing. I'm typing on a touch screen so occasionally accidents happen. My apologies for that.

With the way I do crock pot steeping, I just put all the ingredients (flavorings, vg, nice salt) in a 30 ml bottle, screw the cap on tight, put the bottle in the pot, plug it in one of the slots of a power strip and le it do the work.

Reason for this is it helps blend the flavors, releases alcoholic type additives and chemicals with medicine like tastes from the fluid when the bottle cap.

The crock pot was a second hand item. I only cared that it worked properly. If I hadn't gotten it from family, I would have picked one up either from goodwill, Salvation Army, eBay or a garage sale for about $15. Completely worth it to me for the convenience.

• Useful
Reactions: Fidola13

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Heating up the ejuice causes the nicotine to oxidize at at much faster rate then it would naturally and could possibly make the ejuice taste harsh.. If ethyl alcohol is used by a flavor maker as an extraction method - it is still present in the finished product so leaving the cap off for a day or 2 will allow it to evaporate at a normal pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread