Four RTA's on my shortlist: which one wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
I love RDA's. The flavour is amazing and it's great being able to buy any juice since they can handle any VG ratio, but they aren't very travel friendly so I'm branching out and getting a couple of RTA's.

After much research I have four RTA's on my shortlist, two of which are classified as RDTA's. I want to decide which two to get. Here they are:

Goblin Mini
Billow V2 Nano
Aromamizer
Avocado

I would like to make a decision based on a few things. I'll list them each separately below. Please feel free to answer one or all of my questions, or to suggest RTA's you think rival my picks.

First, I would like the RTA handle max VG juice. In general do RTA's manage this as well as drippers or does it vary from tank to tank? If so, how do the ones I mention fare?

One thing I can't find the answer to is how RTA's and RDTA's differ in terms of how they function. What are the pros and cons of each?

Ease of build is important(ish). I'm brand new to rebuilding so I don't want a super complicated deck if I can avoid it. Saying that, I don't mind a challenge and if a particular RTA is a bit tricky to build on but really kick ..., I will still consider it.

juice consumption plays a role too. The reason I dropped the Siegelei Moonshot from my list is because it's apparently a better performer at high watts. My ideal vape is around 45w-55w but in an effort to save the amount of juice I blow through, I vape between 20w-35w for the most part. In short, I want an RTA that's good in the low to mid high range.

FLAVOUR! I love clouds. Who doesn't? But I'm more a flavour chaser, so given the choice between a cloud machine and a flavour maker, flavour wins every time.

Finally, size. I prefer the smaller attys so a beast of a tank is a no go.

Hhmm, I think I've covered everything. I'll leave it there. Thanks in advance for your help.

Honourable mentions: some that didn't make my shortlist, but which I really like the look of are the Bellus, Griffin and Moonshot. Maybe you have an opinion on these? I might reconsider.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
For ease of building, the Avocado. That one will also wick high VG. However, it will not allow for chain vaping without the "genny tilt." Further, since the juice is basically in an open container, it is prone to leakage when not kept vertical. Not a good travel device... not pocketable...

The Aromamizer has the Velocity deck (as does the Avocado), and is easier to build, but it is still a smaller space. When built and wicked right, it will handle high VG and chain vaping. That's what I've carried the last 2 days...

The Goblin Mini V1 I would stay away from. I love it, but the remove-the-screw-to-fill routine is tiresome. The V2 has top fill. The deck is still a bit smallish.

I don't have the Billow nano. I do have the Billow V2. The deck, compared to the Avocado is tiny.

Of the 4 listed, I would go with the Aromamizer with the Avocado in a very close second.

YMMV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

godfatherI

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2015
georgia
Wouldn't have mentioned it except you also noted you might be interested in others that you missed. Don't know if you have checked out the bachelor. About the same size as the aromamizer, super easy to build, lots of build options (I put claptons in mine), fairly open airflow, and great flavor.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
For ease of building, the Avocado. That one will also wick high VG. However, it will not allow for chain vaping without the "genny tilt." Further, since the juice is basically in an open container, it is prone to leakage when not kept vertical. Not a good travel device... not pocketable...

The Aromamizer has the Velocity deck (as does the Avocado), and is easier to build, but it is still a smaller space. When built and wicked right, it will handle high VG and chain vaping. That's what I've carried the last 2 days...

The Goblin Mini V1 I would stay away from. I love it, but the remove-the-screw-to-fill routine is tiresome. The V2 has top fill. The deck is still a bit smallish.

I don't have the Billow nano. I do have the Billow V2. The deck, compared to the Avocado is tiny.

Of the 4 listed, I would go with the Aromamizer with the Avocado in a very close second.

YMMV

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed reply. That's super helpful. I thought perhaps the Aromamizer was the safest bet.

Off I go to google 'genny tilt'.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
Wouldn't have mentioned it except you also noted you might be interested in others that you missed. Don't know if you have checked out the bachelor. About the same size as the aromamizer, super easy to build, lots of build options (I put claptons in mine), fairly open airflow, and great flavor.
Ah, I've heard this one mentioned here and there. Thanks. I'll take a look.

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
No question, the Bellus or Bachelor if you want flavor. The Bellus is a nice deck although a little small, easy to wick & doesn't leak. I run mine around 30-35W with duals, a little lower as a single coil, it includes a silicone plug.

The Bachelor has a better top fill system & the air is a touch less than the Bellus. It's also a great flavor tank. Has a great build deck, it's a single coil deck. Has great juice control & easy to wick.

Can't go wrong with either tanks IMO.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Being new to RTA's and looking for an easy build, I'd stay away from the Goblin or Billow...at least for now. The build decks are tight and the wicking will be more finicky then the other options you've listed.

Can't comment on the Avocado, as I haven't used one, and likely never will. I can't buy into the idea of genesis "style" tank meant for cotton. Meh....

IMO, flavor on the Aromamizer is mediocre at best, and doesn't even begin to show up until you put a high wattage build in it....and then it's just so-so.

Expand your list a little bit and investigate some other options. The Bachelor is a great tank, with an easy build, easy wicking and excellent flavor. Probably not the ideal lung hitting tank though.

The Serpent is another easy build/easy wick with excellent flavor, but also has bigger airflow, if that's your thing. (I'm assuming it is if you're running RDA's at 50+ Watts)

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I prefer the Diablo RTA over the Goblin Mini or Billow Nano, for smaller RTA's. It's still dual coil, but has a V-deck, and very easy top fill. It produces great flavor and has good airflow and it's fairly cheap, about $11.

Hell%20Spawn%20Setup_zpsm6nnh2ed.jpg

4207500-3.jpg

RAWRferal

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2015
London
If you want flavour, out of those I'd have to say the avocado.

Aromamizer has it's benefits but I would say flavour is not it's strong suit.

Goblin Mini has great flavour but is a PITA to live with.

I would also seriously consider a griffin. Flavour is great, awesome vapour production, but most importantly in my opinion it's one of the most practical RTAs available. Super huge and easy to build deck, really leak resistant and good build quality.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
RDTA I believe this was coined by the Aromamizer, the first tank to have a direct to coil air flow hole.
Also the first tank to have juice flow from the bottom of the deck, making it real easy to wick.
The advantages to a Rebuildable Dripping Tank Atomizer, is the dripper style air flow witch IMO produces better flavour :)
From your short list I'm assuming your looking for a dual coil tank?
Not conducive to saving juice,2 coils 2 wicks = more juice consumption :(

To top fill or Not! any tank with top fill Must have a juice control/shut off. Tanks work on vacuum, so with out the ability to shut off the juice to the chamber as soon as the top fill is opened it will flood your chamber, juice leaks out the air hole or at very least floods your wicks badly :(

The only new tank to be RDTA and have top fill with juice control/ shut off is the Supreme from Steam Crave. It's a 25 mm tank, really big, and on your would rather not have list :(

IMO the best fit for you would be the Aromamizer :) It has a velocity style deck & juice flow from below the deck, this makes it easy to coil and wick :) The original or the new V2 has no top fill, eliminating the need for juice control/ shut off. IMO not a big deal to fill from the bottom. The V2 also has a newer AFC ring a lot better than the vape band used in the original. You also have the 3mil option to make it smaller if you so choose :)

IMO we have not reached the point with RDTA's yet were all the flaws are addressed. The new Supreme looks like it could be there ,but isn't really available to everyone yet.
I look forward to getting my Supremes, to have a proper RDTA with top fill, juice control/ shut off, & all the other advantages that go along with an RDTA :)

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I've had some top fill tanks that don't have juice control because the wicking makes it unnecessary. The Bellus, HC Plus, Eviva t, Lemo2 and MT to name a few :)
My Bellus leaks out the Air hole, when top filling :) My Lemo2 would flood the wick when top filling, I would get a few really bad(too wet) hits till it dried out.
The way you wick will affect this lack of vacuum when top filling but it's safe to say any tank with out Juice control/shut off will act badly to an open chamber with juice in the tank.
Unless it's up side down, kinda hard to top fill upside down :(

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
My Bellus leaks out the Air hole, when top filling :) My Lemo2 would flood the wick when top filling, I would get a few really bad(too wet) hits till it dried out.
The way you wick will affect this lack of vacuum when top filling but it's safe to say any tank with out Juice control/shut off will act badly to an open chamber with juice in the tank.
Unless it's up side down, kinda hard to top fill upside down :(

I haven't had any issues (yet) with any of those. There may come a day though :D because poop happens.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
And Boreas is also 25mm, top fill and has juice control. But, I feel like I shouldn't go around the forum plugging mine :). It seems SC and I were working on similar attys at the same time though they sure surprised me based on what I had read about their prototype. I was very upset at first, but I've gotten over it.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
And Boreas is also 25mm, top fill and has juice control. But, I feel like I shouldn't go around the forum plugging mine :). It seems SC and I were working on similar attys at the same time though they sure surprised me based on what I had read about their prototype. I was very upset at first, but I've gotten over it.
I should have added the Boreas to the list that mite be with out any flaws :)
I so look forward to getting mine :)
Thanks Roxy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread