The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Freedom is wonderful!

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Biohazard, Sep 25, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Biohazard

Biohazard Full Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Colorado
    I smoked a pack off cigarettes a day for 5 years, I started when I was 16 in an idiotic act of rebellion against my step-father and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I was unable to run or hike or any of the other physical activities that I enjoyed as a kid and young teen, and I did not even realize how great the loss was until about a year and a half ago when I first started my journey to quit. I went through all of the methods except for medication because I have heard of the horrible side effects that accompany it. No matter how hard I tried, I was back to smoking no more than a month after I had "quit", I would go to a party and all of my smoking friends would be around me and I thought to myself just one wont hurt. That first cigarette after was heaven though and I would be right back to where I was before. Every time I smelled one I craved one, I would sneak cigarettes at night and I felt like a criminal hiding in the dark just to have a smoke at 3am when nobody would know. Washing the smell off so that nobody would think twice about me saying that I had quit for real this time. I was disappointed in myself so much, I knew I was better than that, I knew that my willpower could overcome it, but no matter how hard I tried I could not. I felt like a failure.

So I looked into electronic cigarettes again, I had tried an overpriced crap quality one from the smoke shop in my town and it had worked for a while but it was terrible and as soon as the novelty wore off I stopped using it. It was actually an article on gizmodo that raised my interest and showed me that there was a greater side to ecigs than my previous experience. So after a lot of research and help from the community here and countless youtube reviews I decided on the Joye 510-T. I know its not the absolute best but it was at the right price point and I liked the idea of filling the carts myself. It has been a month and a half since then and I have not only not had a single cigarette but I have had a lot of fun mixing up flavors to try out. Being able to smoke blueberry pancakes and caramel hazelnut coffee has been a blast and made me realize that the whole time I was smoking that's what I enjoyed, smoking, not cigarettes. When I realized this a little flip switched inside my head and I have not looked back.

So, tonight was my friends 21st birthday party and I went even though I have been avoiding my friends because I did not want to go through the whole cycle again because of one stupid cigarette. Which is horrible that not only is smoking bad for you but when you quit you have to cut relationships with people you have known for a long time because you are afraid to be around cigarettes. Anyways, I had a great time, I drank, puffed on my blueberry pancake vape and got to see a lot of my friends that I have not seen in forever. Then the moment came, I went out into the garage and everyone was smoking, and this time instead of the instant craving I had a total feeling of disgust, I couldn't believe that I had smelled like that or enjoyed tasting it in my mouth and smelling it on my clothes. I cannot state how happy I am that I have abandoned cigarettes utterly. I owe my life to e-cigs and I am so happy I am in tears that the curse that I have lived under since I was 16 has been lifted. I just wanted to say thank you to the community here for the support and advice that while not given to me directly I was able to hunt down and discover.

I know that I am not 100% out of the woods, as cigarettes are masters of deception and random cravings will be a risk for the rest of my life but I will always have the support of everyone here and my trusty vape at my side. You guys rock!:2cool:

2. Raynen

Raynen Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2010
    CT
    :toast: Congrats! I'm almost at my one year mark!

3. Xaiver

Xaiver Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Clearwater, MN
    Congrats! Welcome to the club. :) 3 months here.

4. frosting

frosting Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2011
    Connecticut
    Congratulations Biohazard. I'm close to your age, 22 heading to 23 pretty fast. I smoked for about 8-10 years. Had to tell myself for 6 months I wanted to quit. Had been curious about e-ciggs but my brother's horror story of the telemarketer for some "you get it free"(i knew it was a scam. free=bad news) scared me off a bit. I'm so glad I kept telling myself I wanted to quit and found a GOOD PV.

It's such a great feeling... Yes, those cravings come occasionally but how the 24mg nic kills em!

5. morgan69

morgan69 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    South Africa
    well done and congrads

6. cRaZyIpAdMoM

cRaZyIpAdMoM Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Tennessee
    Hi and congratulations. I really enjoyed your story and thank you for sharing it as it is never easy. You are doing well and welcome to ECF. I have found in the month + since I started vaping someone is always willing to help or listen or make you laugh here :)

7. ec!gg

ec!gg Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Good story and thanks for sharing. Good job and congrats!

8. unloaded

unloaded Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2011
    SW. Indiana
    Congrats, nice story too, even though I was expecting something about Halo's Freedom juice, lol.

9. sisters3

sisters3 Full Member Verified Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Chillicothe IL
    Biohazard... your post brought tears to my eyes too. I don't mind one bit when others are smoking around me and I really don't want to be one of those... holyier than thou kind of reformed smokers. I want to vape around them, hoping they will realize there is an alternative that is enjoyable. Maybe it won't work for them today but they know I am there... as living proof... and when they are ready I will be there to help. 7 mos. free!

10. pianoguy

pianoguy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 4, 2009
    Apple Valley, MN
    Congrats to you! I'm glad to see more young folks making the switch - I wish I'd had this option back in 1973 when I'd been smoking for 5 years. The e-cig was a miracle for me - it was the only thing that finally kicked the little guy who'd whisper in my ear "Go ahead, you're an adult, you can have one" - to the curb, and put me back in control. You should be very proud - getting to that point where being around cigarettes is not tempting or appealing is a huge step. Here's to your continued success!

11. kabonk

kabonk Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 1, 2010
    NW Detroit Burbs
    good for you for making the switch and happy birthday, 2 days I after switched my brother came over and he was smoking it was tough to be around because I was still was getting used to the idea of vaping and not smoking after so many years but I vaped my way through it and never looked back.

12. WillieB69

WillieB69 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Saint Joseph, MO
    I'd say this belongs in the "Success Stories" forum!
    Great job! :thumbs:

13. cobaltblue

cobaltblue Super Member ECF Veteran

Congrats on making the switch Biohazard and welcome to ECF! Great bunch of people here and you fit right in. :)

14. Devonmoonshire

Devonmoonshire Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 22, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Congrats Biohazard! That is a truly great story and I feel ya about the steering clear of folks that smoke. I just hit my six month mark last week without a single cigarette. I have found that I too am disgusted by the smell and even the thought of having a cigarette now. Although I still remain wary of them because you are correct in stating, they are a Master of Deception.

Keep up the Great work and many many thanks for sharing your awesome story with us;
    Sincerely;
    Nate aka Darth Vapor

15. Biohazard

Biohazard Full Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Colorado
    I brought an extra cart with me to the party so that I could let anybody try it who asked, I am glad I did because everyone seemed interested in it. I refuse to pressure them into it though like you said, I don't want to be the pushy ex smoker, but they know that if they ever get to the point that they want to quit all they need to do is come talk to me. All of them except for one who is more of a brother than a friend, hes getting one for x-mas ;) Congrats on 7 months!

16. Biohazard

Biohazard Full Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Colorado
    I realized that right after I posted that there was the success sub-forum, I was just to excited to tell my story when I got home from last night I blew right past it. :p

17. DOAlaboratories

DOAlaboratories Full Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Simi Valley
    today's my second day off, and posts like this give me hope. thank you.

18. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    Gotta luv it! Congrats... [​IMG]

19. Biohazard

Biohazard Full Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Colorado
    The first few days were a little rough for me, there are definitely some withdraws from all the other crap they put in cigs but just keep your batteries charged and use your vape every time they hit and you can power through them really easily. The vape is so much cleaner than smoking and you will notice it real fast, I wish you luck and if you have any trouble just talk to the community here there are a lot of people who can help. We all went through it and we can help you on the way! If you don't currently do anything physical I would recommend it a lot, I picked up racket ball with a buddy and its really awesome to see how fast you get your lungs back. From a month ago when I first quit I can already keep up running around the court for the better part of 2 hours without wheezing at all! Good luck and stay strong!

20. Olef

Olef Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2011
    UK
    Good story, best of luck to you :thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.