hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    It’s good to be back. I guess I really never left. The review schedule has been very busy lately. This time I will be doing my best to cover the Freemax Marvos 80S. The Marvos is the third in the Marvos line of products that I’ve tested for review. First was the Marvos 80T tube style mod and then the Marvos 60 which is a more durable pod mod that uses the same tanks and coils as the 80T. Now comes the Marvos 80S which also is compatible with the same pods and coils but this one has a 510 connection and provides a 510 base for the pod so you have the option of either using the 4.5ml pods or you can use one of your own tanks on it. The 80S is being called a SBS(side by side) mod due to its design but to me isn’t necessarily what I consider a true SBS mod in the truest sense. Besides having the 510 connection it also uses a replaceable 18650 battery which adds convenience for the user.

Marvos-s-80w-kit-Collisions-of-Metal-Leather.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* Freemax Marvos S 80W Mod
    1* Freemax Marvos DTL Pod Tank 4.5ml (Freemax MS Mesh Coil 0.15ohm Pre-installed)
    1* Extra MS Mesh Coil 0.25ohm
    1* USB Charger
    1* Warning Card
    1* Warranty Card
    1* User Manual

marvos-s-80w-kit-tpd-edition.jpg

upload_2021-9-27_14-39-3.png

SPECIFICATIONS:

upload_2021-9-27_14-41-16.png

FEATURES:

• 1. New side-by-side mod/pod mod kit of Freemax
    • 2. Single 18650 battery, type-c 2A fast charging
    • 3. With Marvos DTL Pod Tank
    • 4. FM COILTECH4.0 Technology, adopts MS platform
    • 5. 510 thread mod, 810 drip tip
    • 6. Two-side airflow control
    • 7. 0.96 inch color TFT screen
    • 8. Three output modes: Power, Smart, Bypass
    • 9. Compatible with both Marvos DTL Pod and Marvos Glass DTL Pod
    • 10. Compatible with MS Mesh Series Coil
    • 11. Made by fine leather and precisely forged zinc alloy

marvos-s-80w-kit-096-inch-color-tft-display-screen.jpg

upload_2021-9-27_14-44-39.png

upload_2021-9-27_14-45-48.png

upload_2021-9-27_14-46-6.png

upload_2021-9-27_14-46-21.png

upload_2021-9-27_14-46-37.png

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The packaging is what I’ve become very familiar with where the outer shell has a color picture of the device inside and slides off with a two part box underneath. Once the top is removed, the mod with tank installed is visible. One thing that I really liked was that Freemax put a ribbon under the tank so you can easily pull the ribbon to pull the mod and tank up from the foam insert. It can also be used to pull the foam up to access the spare parts pack which includes a second coil, USB-C charging/update cable, user manual and paperwork.

I very much like the appearance of the 80S. On the front/ screen side is of course the display screen with the + and – buttons below it and to the left on the padded imitation leather is the MARVOS S name stamped into the leather. On the bottom is the Freemax name and three battery vent holes.

IMG-6207.jpg

The opposite side has no branding and you just see the gunmetal frame and the nice brown with the stitching that runs around the perimeter. I really like that there is minimal branding.

IMG-6203.jpg

On the end opposite of the leather wrap is the fire button which is nice and clicky. It protrudes a little so it can be easily located. Near the bottom on the same side is the USB-C charging port.

IMG-6923.jpg

On the top of the mod is the knurled threaded battery cap which is removed to install the necessary 18650 battery to power the unit. The threads on the one I received felt gritty when screwing the cap on with a battery inside. There isn’t a marking on the inside of the cap but there is a large red + symbol in the bottom of the battery tube. Also on top is the 510 connection plate that is held in by two torx screws and has a gold plated spring loaded center pin.

IMG-6210.jpg

IMG-6213.jpg

IMG-6215.jpg

The display on the S is very easily readable and shows the following information top to bottom.

- Mode of operation and battery indicator

- Set wattage

- Voltage under load and coil resistance

- Puff counter

- Time of current puff

- Available color displays

upload_2021-9-27_14-53-7.png

The S adjusts in 1 watt increments and does not round robin. When 80 watts is reached then it just says Max Power. It does however scroll very fast if the + or – button is held down.

This mod only has three modes which are Power, Smart, and Bypass so there is no TC on this one which is kind of a shame since the coils are ss904. The button operations on the S are as follows:

- Press the fire button five times to turn the device on or off

- Press the fire button three times to switch between the three modes

- Press the fire button and – button to change the display color

- Press the fire button and the + button to reset the puff counter

- Press the + and – buttons to lock the wattage adjustment

- Press and hold all three buttons to do a factory reset

MS-Platform.jpg

The pod tank that is included with the Marvos S kit uses the same coils as the other Marvos tanks and the included base is in fact compatible with the glass tank that is available for separate purchase.

The drip tip is the same spit back resistant tip which I like and found very comfortable to use but it is replaceable if it’s not to your liking. I like that the tank is nearly clear and I can easily see the liquid level in it.

marvos-s-80w-kit-marvos-dtl-pod-tank.jpg

The pod itself is held in place by four magnets that are located on the bottom along with the fill port which has a rubber plug much like we’ve seen on many other pods of this style. The magnets mate up with the raised metal ring inside the base of the 510 portion of the tank. The coils are push in style and make connection in the base which contains a spring loaded gold plated center pin.

The airflow control is located on the tank base rather than having to turn the pod to adjust the airflow. I like this since you don’t have to worry about messing up your airflow if you turn the pod. Also the airflow base is knurled to make it easier to turn and it also matches the knurling on the battery cap.

IMG-6922.jpg

IMG-6921.jpg

The coils used in the Marvos kits is the MS series of coils. The coils included in the kit are the .15 mesh coil rated for 60-80 watts and the .25 ohm mesh coil rated for 40-60 watts. Also available are the .35 and .5 ohm coils in this series. The coils use tea fiber cotton and are made of SS904 which can be used in temperature control even though this mod does not have that feature.

Freemax_Marvos_S_80W_Kit_MS_Mesh_Coil.jpg

IMG-6231.jpg

IMG-6227.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I very much enjoyed testing the Marvos S 80 watt kit. I thought the imitation leather was very nicely done with padding underneath and the stitching around the perimeter. I felt like the gunmetal frame and brown leather look were a really great match.

It’s good in my opinion that Freemax has kept with the same MS series coils across all of the Marvos line of devices. The coils are fantastic flavor producers and seem to last quite a while even with my favorite LMN# liquid. As usual I preferred the .25 ohm coil at around 45 watts. The .15 coil had great flavor also but I had to run it a bit lower than recommended wattage. It still performed well around 50 watts.

I did get some condensation underneath the pod but no real leaking. However, I just want to mention that with this style of pod tank, if you are going to let it sit unused for days, take the pod off because they will usually leak if left unused for days.

The design of the Marvos S isn’t new and I’m sure many recognize this style of mod. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. I personally like this style of mod and find it very comfortable to hold and use. It reminded me of the PX80 which I also liked very much. However, unlike the PX80, this one has a 510 connection on the mod which is a huge plus in my book.

So, would I recommend the Freemax Marvos S 80? I really would. In my opinion it’s hard to go wrong with this one. It has a replaceable battery, 510 connection, and the included coils are fantastic flavor producers.

I’d like to thank Freemax and Tina for sending the Freemax Marvos S 80 watt kit for this review. Also a big thanks to my dedicated readers. I truly appreciate your support. Below is a link if you want to see more about Freemax.

Marvos S 80W Kit | Freemax - Taste the Clouds, Feel the Flavors!

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Another good review, I like this one, but not enough to replace my Vaporesso swag PX80(I'm invested in the PX80). They look a lot alike, the 510 connection is a big plus.

Yes, it reminded me of the PX80. I liked that one very much also. I will say that the Freemax coils are superior in flavor production.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread