Not open for further replies.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Freemax Onnix 2 Pod Kit

EPMX1y2.png

All photos used in this review were linked directly from Freemaxvape.com and/or modified/adapted for best viewability. I do not claim to have ownership over any of them and any copyright infringement was not intended. Please contact me via PMs if you wish to have them pulled down.

Hello, and welcome to another addition of Z-Lee's overly done vape reviews. Today we will be looking at the Onnix 2 which is Freemax's successor to the original Onnix.

I will admit, I've never personally been very attracted to these types of smaller vape gadgets because they feel so dainty, but when Freemax offers me anything - even a leftover half-eaten Halloween Hershey's bar - I'm gonna take it. Why you might ask? Because in all of my experiences with vaping which has become rather extensive in the past 5-6 months (it definitely didn't have anything to do with the pressures of PMTA's, or PACT Act/vape mail banning ;);)), Freemax currently holds the cake for best premade coilheads on the market for RDL/DL vaping in regards to flavor, coil longevity, vape range, and overall performance with the release of their CoilTech 4.0 904L series coils. Innokin kind of holding the fort down in the MTL department. But who doesn't love cake? Okay yes, the kind with homemade frosting - none of that nasty, foamy sugar stuff that comes as a 2-inch layer on top. Anyway, that 904L coil is now being contended with their newest release of the OX-series coil which are specialized for both salt nic and freebase juices. We'll dig deeper into that further down in the review.

First off, I want to thank @Freemax_Jerry for providing me the opportunity to do a review on this product. As always, I will remain neutrally bias and critical in this review (even though I love Freemax, I give credit where it's due, and none where it isn't). If I see potential flaws or areas of needed improvement, you can count on me point them out (within reason - ie. I cannot tell you how this product will perform in 5 years or 20 years being that I do not have that information).

Without further ado, let's dive in.

(All images can be clicked on for easier reading/viewing)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Overview:

What comes in the box.

5WFudYf.png

Both the Standard Edition and TPD Edition are identical, being that the pod only holds 2 mL of juice anyway.

Basic Features.

4cYZK2L.png

The Specs.

kqVeR7k.png

The Onnix 2 comes in 6 different colors as seen below.

xJOQSQA.png

The finish is a clear gloss which really brings out the vibrant colors on the front and rear panels.

This is the basic breakdown of the Onnix 2 Pod Kit.

XfMvgEt.jpg

There really isn't anything new about this if you are familiar with these styles of vape pens. No need to reinvent the wheel.

The OX-series coils comes in 4 different resistances:

• 0.5 Ohms (CoilTech 4.0)
    • 0.8 Ohms (SaltCoilTech 3.0)
    • 1.0 Ohms (SaltCoilTech 3.0)
    • 1.2 Ohms (SaltCoilTech 3.0)

meWqHbE.png

The 0.5 Ohm OX coil (green) has a "Best Wattage" range of 16-20 Watts and although the Onnix 2 maxes out at 15 Watts, from my experiences with Freemax coils, they have always been able to perform very well, under the recommended Wattages; in fact, I almost exclusively vape them under the recommended range for best flavor since my interest does not lie in crazy vape production. The 0.8 (pre-installed) and 1.0 Ohm coils come included in the box.

I've only used the 0.8 Ohm coil so far, and the only slight negative I've noticed from it so far is that it uses a tad more juice than I'd prefer for a device that has a 2 mL juice capacity (I would estimate 100ish or so puffs before having to refill). However, if you are a salt nic user, you're likely to draw less at a time being that the nic delivery will be more potent and in turn, save both juice consumption and battery life. The 1.0 and 1.2 Ohm coils are only going to further extend these aspects.

eC7d8tw.png

The Onnix 2 can be activated by both button and auto-draw.

Ppy6ADV.png

As noted here, 3 quick clicks of the button to change between activation modes. Auto-draw performance is on par with button activation. Draw suction can be quite light to activate the draw unlike other devices I have used with the same feature. Auto-draw also makes it safe to put in your pocket w/out fear of it activating by accident.
    (unless there's something else creating suction near your pocket... :danger:)

Internal 900 mAh battery with USB-C type charging.

UoFGyxF.jpg

The battery status can be monitored via 3 white glowing lights which appear briefly after each draw. Pictures of this will be shown further down in my personal photos. A 900 mAh drawing at 15 Watts is going to last you quite a long time depending on how often you vape.

Alright, well that about wraps it up...

J/K

Okay so, the overview was just a basic layout of what to expect from the Onnix 2 Pod Kit. Below, I will share my experiences with a few up close pictures as well as provide some pros and cons. The great part is, there isn't a whole lot more to this, which is more or less the beauty of a simple vape pen.

I've had this pod kit for about a week and a half now. I've vaped probably 6 or 7 pods worth of juice (2 mL each) through the 0.8 Ohm coil and have had to recharge it three times so far. So pretty much 3 full 900 mAh battery discharges and I'm about a 1/3 through the current charge. So, you're looking at about 2 pods refills per recharge. As mentioned above, if you're rocking salt nics or one of the higher Ohm coils (the 1.0 or 1.2), then you're likely to experience even better results.

My Impressions and Experiences:

Out of the package.

20211101_145206.jpg

A closer look.

Onnix-2-Look-1.jpg

Left Picture:
    The bottom side of the pod. The 0.8 Ohm comes pre-installed out of the box. It has a sticker covering the coil connector for safety measures during storage and transport. Remember to remove this.

Middle Picture:
    This is a top-down view into the connector pins where the pod slides in. In any pod kit, this is where you're going to see leaking if there is any, either from the air vents that flow through the mod housing and up through the coil (most often condensation), or leaking from the bottom of the pod where the coil seals seat into the pod. I am happy to report that in 11 days, neither of these potential forms of moisture are present in the slightest bit. The magnets are also quite strong, so there's no worries of it popping out during normal use.

Right Picture:
    The rubber refill tab is easy to access and is quite thick (almost too thick?). The positive side is that you won't need to worry about tearing the rubber while getting the flange open. I encountered this with the VooPoo Vinci X2. Others have also reported tearing off the Vinci X2 refill tab by accident, so you won't have to worry about that. The negative side is that it makes things a tad more difficult holding it back while refilling. I'll take it if it means a longer lasting pod.

The coils.

Onnix-2-Coils-Included.jpg

Left Picture:
    I pulled the pre-installed 0.8 Ohm coil out of the pod to get a closer look at it. The recommended Wattage is 12-15W, but the mod auto-detects this and adjusts as needed.

Right Picture:
    A secondary 1.0 Ohm coil comes as an option if you're interested in a higher Ohm coil. The 0.5 and 1.2 Ohm coils will need to be purchased separately if that is your jam.

Priming & Refilling.

Onnix-2-Prime-&-Refill.jpg

Left Picture:
    Remember to prime the coil before you pop it into the pod. Squirt enough juice to saturate the exposed wick in each of the 4 juice ports; 3-4 times for each juice port after it soaks in should do the trick. You'll know it's fully saturated when you see a bubble forming outside of the juice ports.

Right Picture:
    Rubber refill flange is pulled back exposing a refill hole that very easily fits a chubby gorilla nozzle into it.

Fill 'er up!

20211101_151533.jpg

Once the coil is primed and inserted into the pod, and then the pod is filled - let sit for 2-3 minutes before vaping. If you do not prime the coil, I would suggest 5+ minutes, possibly more, to allow wick absorption depending on the coil size.
    A reminder that the presence of air bubbles are a good thing. It means the vaping/consumption of juice is being properly displaced by air that's filling the growing void. If you don't see bubbles, you can expect dry hits. This applies to all pods and atomizers.

Airflow Holes.

Onnix-2-Airflow-Holes.jpg

Two needle-sized airflow holes are present on both sides of the pod housing. With both of these uncovered, you can expect a Restricted DL vape. What's great about the auto-draw feature on this pod is, if you want an MTL or Restricted MTL vape, you can use your thumb and finger to cover one or both holes while not having to worry about coordinating that and pressing the fire button at the same time. Unfortunately we weren't born with octopus hands. When people talk about sucking a golf ball through a garden hose, that is what you can expect if you cover both holes.

Battery indicator.

Onnix-2-Battery-Lights.jpg

These are pictures of the battery indicating lights while it's charging. The lights pulse and grow from it's current status up to three, in the fashion of airport runway lights. Likewise, while not charging, after you have activated the pod by inhaling, for a brief moment after you stop inhaling, the lights will grow from no lights to its current battery status.

-One white light: 0-35% battery life
    -Two white lights: 36-70% battery life
    -Three white lights: 71-100% battery life

There is also a blue light that isn't visible here that is situated just above the charging port that can be used to determine activation of certain mod protections based on the number of times it blinks if such a circumstance were to arise. Note that during normal use, this blue light activates as a constant glow until you stop inhaling, and then the battery status lights will come on. This is completely expected and normal.

Final evaluation: Freemax Onnix 2 Pod Kit

I am quite impressed with this tiny little number. As I had mentioned earlier in the review, I'm not generally a fan of these types of vape kits. However, if you stick a turbo (a Freemax coil) in a Toyota Corolla and give me the keys, I'm willing to give it a ride. In this case, it's proven to exceed my expectations by quite a bit. I'm half tempted to go out and grab some salt nic just to see the difference. Freemax coils have always delivered for me, and this is no exception. This will definitely be an on-the-go choice for me if I'm running some errands or don't want to hold a mod in my hand while out and about. Also, I like my mods standing up. While this can stand, it's also tipsy meaning I've knocked it over probably 4x or 5x as much as I have any other kit, and it hasn't even blinked.

-=Pros=-

-Durable
    -Extremely light-weight and compact
    -Pod magnets are strong
    -No leaking
    -Auto-draw is flawless

• Makes it safe to pocket w/out worry of activating
    -Rubber refill tab is durable
    -Refill opening fits chubby gorilla nozzles with ease
    -Rubber refill tab is concealed

• Both a pro or con depending on who’s using it
    -Battery status reminder via lights after every activation
    -FM SaltCoilTech 3.0 OX-series coils knock it out of the park in flavor and vape production

• I’ve only tested this pod kit with freebase juice; salt nic is likely to produce even stronger/better flavor

-=Cons=-

-No manually adjustable Wattage (doesn’t really need it - auto adjusted)
    -No permanent adjustable airflow (Loose MTL/Restricted DL by default)

• Can use thumb or thumb and finger to plug one or both air flow holes if needed (Auto-draw makes this very easy)

Before I give a final evaluation, I want the viewer to understand how I rate this. For all values with a Weight of 10, it means this is a high priority for me - what I personally look for in a vape product. The lower the weight, the less this effects my overall judgment. Also bear in mind that I am evaluating this product for its intended purpose. Do I want to be able to fit a 4000 mAh battery in this thing? Yes. Do I want a 510 adapter so I can stick a 35mm atomizer on top of this? Yes, but of course those aren't practical and will not be evaluated as such. The overall rating isn't a computed average of each of these scores, but rather my overall enjoyment of vaping with this product.

Evaluation considerations:

Battery: Weight 10, Evaluation 9
    Internal/External, battery capacity, recharge time.

Flavor Production: Weight 10, Evaluation 10
    Depth of flavor, full/rich vs. hollow taste.

Vape Production: Weight 6, Evaluation 7
    Cloud size, volume, thickness.

Coil Performance (0.8 Ohm): Weight 10, Evaluation 10
    Lifespan, dry hitting, chain vaping.

Build Quality: Weight 10, Evaluation 10
    Durability, quality, leakage, reliability.

Efficiency (0.8 Ohm): Weight 10, Evaluation 8
    Juice consumption.

Size: Weight 3, Evaluation 10
    Comfort, pocketing.

Visual Appeal/Style: Weight 7, Evaluation 8
    Schmexiness.

Versatility: Weight 5, Evaluation 10
    Options, Ohm range, salt nic vs. freebase.

Recommendation: Weight 7, Evaluation 10
    Would I pick this as the kit I'd rave about to another vaper?

Overall Rating:

Compared to other vape pens/pod kits: 9.5

(I'd give this a higher rating, but I don't have enough vape pen experience to reliably give this a 10)

Compared to other mod+atomizer kits: 9
    (Toe to toe until the battery runs out, this is a winner)

Final note:

I hope you enjoyed the review and/or learned something about the product. The Freemax Onnix 2 can be purchased from their website here Freemaxvape.com and various other outlets.

Stay tuned for upcoming reviews on the Freemax Marvos 60W & Marvos S 80W.

Cheers and happy vape hoarding. :rickroll:

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Same. I've been busy with my own reviews as of recently. Thank you for stopping in and checking it out though. =)

For some reason each year from before thanksgiving until after Xmas is a busy time for reviews. I have two I’m working on and at least five in transit.

Reactions: Z-Lee
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread