Freezing 100mg nicotine base

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Colorado
I developed this method over three years ago, and I still have some of my VG-nic from then in the freezer. It is virtually unchanged, and I expect preservation to be indefinite.

INDEFINITE!? :banana: Wow, that's good to hear. Kurt, I've read a lot that you've written in the other threads about long-term storage, and this just confirms for me that it is OK to go ahead and store in quantity. Thank you so much for your sharing your experience in this area.

And for the record, I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Just wanted to report back some results I have had with long term storage in the freezer.

I purchased 100mg in bulk in October 2011 from MFS. I cut it down to 50mg with PG. I am strictly a PG vaper, never use VG. Just my preference. Anywho, I store my cut to 50mg in vodka bottles, taped around the bottle lid, in my spare freezer in my garage. I pull out the bottle and top off a 4oz bottle for weekly DIY as needed.

Purchased the bromyl blue test kit this week. I have 6 750mL bottles stored in the freezer, and will add 3 bottles to that when I get my next 100mg shipment in two days. Yep, stocking up for vapepocalypse. 3 of those bottles are from 10-11 and the other 3 bottles are from Nov '12. There is a ever so slight yellow tinge to the 3 older bottles when you compare them to the newer bottles from a few months ago, but you have to look really really close to see it. Did the bromyl blue test yesterday on the nic from October '11, and the result was 51mg nicotine. I think it is safe to assume that my cut to 50mg nic that has been in the freezer for 17 months is still as strong as when I purchased it. No foul smell, no rancid liquid. It is as good as the day I received it!

Just wanted to throw out there another testimony to long term storage and having no problems with it! The freezer I store it in rarely gets opened, unless I am digging out more nicliquid to fill up my smaller in house bottle. So it does sit fairly undisturbed. But all PG and long term storage have been no problem here for 17 months. I will continue to test it every 6 months or so and see where the mg are prior to using it.

Hope this helps!

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Yup, I have brown bottles ordered and was planning to fill to the brim, then place the bottles in a vacuum sealed bag. I could conceivably purge the oxygen with my homebrewing CO2 setup but I don't think it's worth the effort.

i just read in a blog about a memeber who purges the air from his nic bottles for long term storage. he suggests gasses like argon, or easier: helium. you can suck the helium out of a balloon with a syringe and inject it into the bottle through a layer of plumbers tape. i doubt i'll do it but just wanted to bring it up to show the level of preservation some people are acheiving.

edit: :facepalm: i should have read the entire thread before posting. RobertNC is here and you Robert are the one i was quoting. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread