Freezing E-Liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Now I have followed threads and searched a good deal of posts and still can't get a straight factual answer on this. :confused:

I think that experienced suppliers probably do have an answer, and that there are now a large number of clients who NEED to know the answer to this now, because their chances of restocking regularly are diminishing.

A regular product will tell you a Best Before date and also how to conserve the product by following advice for ideal Storage Conditions.
I know only one forum member who keeps e-liquid in the freezer, but I would like our big suppliers to give us the clearest of guidelines on this.

~ Is freezing an option?
~ Pros and Cons.
~ Tips for storage in Freezer.

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited:

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I keep all my bulk juice in the fridge. Don't know if this helps or not, but the suppliers say to keep it in a cool, dark place. I almost doubt it would freeze due to the glycol. Just keep it cool and out of bright light, it should last 1-2 yrs.

rsmith76

Thanks for replying rsmith76, :)

The juice needs to be in the dark, as far as I can gather, yes.
I think quite a few of us use the fridge.

And the forum member who puts it in the freezer says it does not freeze, which is as you'd expect.

But I'd like to know if it keeps longer and better at the lower temperatures. :confused:

Thanks

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I have one of the FoodSaver vacuum things and I'm thinking of vacuum sealing each bottle and storing in the fridge.

I heard someone say that the juice needs to be cool and dry - the fridge is too moist....

Well the vacuum would keep the moisture out I guess.

But I still want to hear what our caring sharing suppliers have to say.

C'mon guys, a bit of after sales follow up never hurt anyone!!!! What do you do with your vintage collections??? You do have vintage collections?

:sneaky:

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Well the vacuum would keep the moisture out I guess.

But I still want to hear what our caring sharing suppliers have to say.

C'mon guys, a bit of after sales follow up never hurt anyone!!!! What do you do with your vintage collections??? You do have vintage collections?

:sneaky:

100 views - the folks are interested to know!

C

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
For what it's worth: I have always kept my liquid in the fridge. Some time ago I have frozen one 10 ml (plastic) bottle of liquid for a while (no, it doesn't freeze solid, but of course it does take on the temp. of -18C to -24C that my freezer is). Then took it out, let it get back to roomtemp, and since then it's been in the room, being used.

Up to now I have not been able to detect any changes at all happening - nic in it seems to be the same also, though of course I don't have means to scientificaly measure this (same feeling, same throat-hit, same buzz though). Also no discolouring or anything else alarming (been at roomtemperature almost a month since it was frozen now) so I would say that having been in the freezer doesn't seem to have hurt or broken anything on the cells-level.
Seeing these results, I will be moving most of my liquid to the freezer as soon as I have made room for it, on the assumption of 'the cooler, the longer it remains well'.
Of course: just my own assessment and just my own decision.

Edit: Btw...
I heard someone say that the juice needs to be cool and dry - the fridge is too moist....
...why would moisture be of ANY concern in a bottle that is closed off from air??

dirt2suck

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Ephrata PA USA
Propylene Glycol is an antifreeze used in sanitary food manufacturing and others.
It does not freeze unless it is in -59 degress celsius(im not sure what that is in F)

I ziplok bag with your bottles in then place in bigger freezer bag and there will be no moisture concerns.

I think we can all agree that since glycol doesn't freeze then the nicotine would never freeze. So it is easy to say that the nic and bottles would be stored in cool temps in the freezer but never have to worry about the molecular level of freezing.

Anyone understand what im saying?

Easy put, yes the freezer is the best place to store, if you double or tripple bag.

Dirt

dirt2suck

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Ephrata PA USA
Why double- or tripple-bag seeing the bottle is air- and liquid-tight, so nothing from inside can get out and nothing from outside can get in?
(Of course I am speaking of non-glass bottles here - meaning no different materials for bottle and cap)

I am just keepin it real...

You put say ten 30ml bottles in a freezer bag and your fine, but placing 2 or 3 of them in a quart size and then 4 or 5 quarts into a gallon size and your double bagged. Now if your double bagged then your weekly/monthly usage could just reach in your freezer and grab the gallon, open up and pull out a quart size (for the month) and then put gallon back in.

This explaination is concurant to my getting druck some nights and going into the freezer for some ice. I can get alittle rough sometimes and if I make a bottle leak...the day I go for that quart bag I will only have to clean 2 or 3 bottles verses 60 bottles!

So what ever floats yer boat you can do just keep on vaping!

Dirt

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I am just keepin it real...
You put say ten 30ml bottles in a freezer bag and your fine, but placing 2 or 3 of them in a quart size and then 4 or 5 quarts into a gallon size and your double bagged. Now if your double bagged then your weekly/monthly usage could just reach in your freezer and grab the gallon, open up and pull out a quart size (for the month) and then put gallon back in.

A quart = 40 fl oz of e-liquid??
Or do you mean 2 or 3 bottles each 30ml = 60-90ml and the freezer bag is quart-sized?

Sorry to be dim..

C

Letzin Hale

Moved On
Dec 28, 2008
Eliquid is not wine, neither is it just glycol. There are other chemicals involved and not all of them particularly like low temperatures. Depending on the recipe and temperature you could have chemicals separating or crystallizing. Mixing liquids from scratch successfully involves a considerable level of chemistry and not just stirring the right amounts of chemicals in a jug. Most mixes should be okay at minus 10C but they would be equally happy in a cool dark place. Humidity doesn't come into the equation as liquids should be in sealed containers. Ultra violet degrades nicotine so dark is essential.
I have a rack of vintage December 07 Menthol that I'll be putting on ebay in about ten years time.
Alan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread