evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013

Dudeus Nordicus

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Some ways away from koala forests
"French researchers to give nicotine patches to coronavirus patients and frontline workers after lower rates of infection were found among smokers."
French researchers plan to give nicotine patches to coronavirus patients and frontline workers | Daily Mail Online

There are also more credible sources than Daily Mail, but nevertheless. Here's one.

(Wikipedia: The Daily Mail has been widely criticised for its unreliability, as well as printing of sensationalist and inaccurate scare stories of science and medical research and for copyright violations. It is treated as unreliable as a source for articles in Wikipedia)

It would be interesting if it is really was nicotine, and pure nicotine at that, that aided in fending off the viral infection.

There were studies (US veterans IIRC) showing that tobacco use delayed the onset of dementia. With tobacco having other proven anti-life qualities (e.g. kills half of users...) it wouldn't be ethical to start studies with it specifically in the mix, but if the neuroprotective effects were due to nicotine alone it could be quite interesting for the over-70 population.

Imagine if vapers, or even smokers (those pariahs) were unwittingly helpful in cutting the chains of viral Covid-19 infection?

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This is very interesting and I've seen a couple of mentions of this on the net in the last week (or 2 ... days seem to be turning into weeks for me, stuck at home here :blink: ). Searching 'nicotinic hypothesis for Covid-19' results in numerous hits that I explored a bit just now and it seems to me this theory should be investigated more thoroughly. However, I've been vaping more nic than I usually do lately and I'm not going to reduce it for a while.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
This is very interesting and I've seen a couple of mentions of this on the net in the last week (or 2 ... days seem to be turning into weeks for me, stuck at home here :blink: ). Searching 'nicotinic hypothesis for Covid-19' results in numerous hits that I explored a bit just now and it seems to me this theory should be investigated more thoroughly. However, I've been vaping more nic than I usually do lately and I'm not going to reduce it for a while.

I think Dr. Farsalinos was the first one to observe that nicotine may be protective against COVID-19. I love him. :)

Smoking, vaping and hospitalization for COVID-19 - Article (Preprint v13) | Qeios

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Does anyone have any data on what the rate of Covid positives that were smokers/vapers rates are in the USA? I've tried Googling but you all know how data in this country is. One report will say 10% of all Covid patients are smokers the other will say 1%... or as in my case they all just say that smoking will increase your odds without any data whatsoever.

• Agree
    Reactions: stols001

mcduffy

ECF Veteran
  • Jul 9, 2017
    From link in the OP:

French researchers plan to give nicotine patches to coronavirus patients and frontline workers | Daily Mail Online

Early data from America's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) showed that just 1.3 per cent of people diagnosed with COVID-19 were classified as smokers.

From a sample of 7,162 of the nation's earliest patients, just 96 were 'current smokers'. Just 22 out of 1,037 patients in hospital were smokers, along with five out of 457 in intensive care, according to the data.

This contrasts sharply with the CDC's statistics that show 14 per cent of all Americans regularly smoke cigarettes.

It is not clear whether there is a link between smoking and a lower risk of catching or falling ill with coronavirus, or whether recording of who smokes and who doesn't isn't up to scratch.

27225358-8214749-Data_from_the_Centers_for_Disease_Control_and_Prevention_CDC_in_-a-72_1586970177084.jpg

A study by New York University found that just five per cent of 4,103 coronavirus hospital patients in the city admitted to being smokers.

This was far lower than the 15.5 per cent of smokers in the population there.

The same proportion of smokers were found in COVID-19 patients who did not need hospitalisation, suggesting they were less likely to catch the virus or were not being accurately recorded.

The New York study is not the first to find a low number of smokers in COVID-19 hospital admissions.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Last edited:

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain

Ditto about the haircut,someone stopped me in the street today and they asked me for an autograph.
    They thought i was this dude right here:

captaincaveman_01_blog.jpg

And back to the topic at hand.
    In Spain a friend of mine studies in the University of Navarra,she is in the Pneumology Department.

From an email she sent me (she knows i vape) they are close to starting an independent study about the difference between a smoker and a vaper when it comes to Corona.

Doctors in charge are getting ready to start soon,for now they getting together the best students so they can do the ''grunt'' work,that is why my friend knows about it,she is really smart.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Likewise. We're OK, but getting seriously restless. And we need haircuts. :lol:

Good to hear you guys are ok :thumb:

On the hair cut thingy, I've been cutting my own hair for years. My wife gives me a touch up sometimes just to make sure things don't get snarly at the back. Of course, it really helps that I do a crew cut. My Oster Fastfeed makes that really easy, not to mention it paid for itself in months :w00t:

Ya, a lot of 'may' be bad, 'could' be bad, 'needs more research' and 'smoking is bad'. I'm going to stick with vaping nic for now. Considering the risk associated with that and the Covid-19 stats coming to light now, I don't think there's much to lose :cool:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    And back to the topic at hand.
    In Spain a friend of mine studies in the University of Navarra,she is in the Pneumology Department.

From an email she sent me (she knows i vape) they are close to starting an independent study about the difference between a smoker and a vaper when it comes to Corona.

Doctors in charge are getting ready to start soon,for now they getting together the best students so they can do the ''grunt'' work,that is why my friend knows about it,she is really smart.

That sounds great. Please let us know what they discover!

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    On the hair cut thingy, I've been cutting my own hair for years. My wife gives me a touch up sometimes just to make sure things don't get snarly at the back. Of course, it really helps that I do a crew cut. My Oster Fastfeed makes that really easy, not to mention it paid for itself in months :w00t:

Same, and the same brand of clippers too! Finally ponied up and paid for the good pair and have been rewarded with three years of haircuts for I think $70. Was cutting with the metal clip extended all the way but that broke and instead of fixing it or using a clip I just started cutting at 00. Which I actually prefer now. Might give it an upgrade and order a new blade for it, I'm surprised this one has lasted this long!

Back on topic... I almost bought nic patches the other day. My thought process is that if I do get Covid I want to have them on hand so I can quit vaping for a couple weeks. I wouldn't want to be vaping WITH the virus. Was almost surprised the shelves to be fully stocked but that's Americans. Nic could be proven to be a 100% cure for Covid and no one would believe your bat #$%@ crazy conspiracy... until they said it on the MSM networks they all claim not to trust.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread