The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Friend Moving to Germany - Laws To Be Aware Of?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by VapePassion, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. VapePassion

VapePassion Reviewer / Blogger

May 13, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Hi,

I have a friend who is moving to Germany at the end of the month. He's a current smoker and has expressed interest in vaping to quit. I want to hook him up with something before he leaves, but I don't want him to worry about it being confiscated.

Anything that I should know before giving him some stuff? I was thinking about giving him a Heatvape Invader Mini 50w mod, a Kanger Subtank (4ml capacity), and some 15ml bottles of e-juice (already opened)

Anything I need to worry about there?

2. satchvai

satchvai Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 16, 2015
    Off the grid
    They fall under the EU TPD. I'd do some research to see what all is involved with that. Off the top of my head, there is a 2ml tank limit and no juice over 20mg strength.

3. VapePassion

May 13, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Those restrictions are for sales though, wouldn't they be? I wouldn't imagine it being retroactive after the TPD went into effect.

4. satchvai

satchvai Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 16, 2015
    Off the grid
    Just was thinking it is something your friend should be aware of moving forward.

• Like Like x 1
  5. VapePassion

May 13, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Good point!

6. woita

woita Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    Ohio
    Yup, that TPD stuff applies for sales only.

You're friend is good to bring that stuff you plan to give him into Germany/the EU for his personal use.
    There's no limit in volume as far as I'm aware off, Nic level afaik is limited to 24mg/ml in some states.
    (Of course the amount of liquid/Nic base must be small enough to be "believable" for personal use _if_ controlled by customs when entering at all)

Apart from that, while the EU TPD is active here in Germany, the restrictions (2ml tanks, 10ml juice bottles) only apply to new stuff until a grace period (afaik May 2017), so there's still everything available here. Nothing new is allowed to be introduced unless signed off by some agency (actually: if, after a testing period, _not_ denied from sales), but it seems that nobody cares. New products keep entering the market on a daily basis

Online sales is still legal as well, with German vendors employing a double age check. One while ordering which is done online and one that is done by the mailman delivering your package. He has to check that the person taking the package (whoever it is, neighbour, ...) is an adult (i.e. >18 yrs)

So no worries, we're still not as doomed as it looks (yet).
    Hope it's not going to be a mess in the US after Monday! :)

Edit: Greetings to Denver. I'll be there in about 4 weeks (passing through while roadtripping the US for vacation) :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. VapePassion

May 13, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Thanks so much @woita, this is extremely helpful.

Have fun in Colorado! The mountains are beautiful. The plains, not so much... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. woita

woita Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    Ohio
    glad I could help :)

comin' in from the mountains (WY/Yellowstone), leaving through the mountains (for SLC)...really looking forward to it :)

9. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    He should be aware that in Germany, all roads lead to ausfahrt

• Like Like x 2
  10. MikeADore

MikeADore Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Tennessee
    They might mistake that Invader for a hand grenade, though. :eek:

Thread Status: