Friendly Fire Mods (Sort of a review)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert B

Feb 20, 2020
I posted this on another forum.... I figured Id post it here. Im not real good at this type of thing, but here it is:

So I purchased a FriendlyFire Mod. I wanted to say that it is very well put together, and it fits pretty big batteries. When using the device it seems that I get alot more power even at 200w compared to 18650 and 21700 setups. I have successfully ran it at 370w. THe biggedt surprise came from the battery life. I was vaping at 370 for about 4 hours. Doing chain vaping, I still had 75% left. Also overnight my battery only lost 10%. Considering I lose 15% from an 18650 or 21700, it has decent battery life. (I vape in my sleep) In the picture is the mod with a G-Taste Aries. Overall its been a great experience. Here is a link: https://friendlyfiremods.com/collections/cnc-mods/products/stubby-4s-nlpwmv2-includes-lipo

Attachments

• FriendlyFire.jpg
    FriendlyFire.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20200304_092810 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200304_092810 (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Lipo mods are a whole different game. I looked into getting a lipo setup and did the research. If you don't know what you're doing it can get dangerous quickly. I'm glad you like your new mod. I don't believe you're chain vaping at 370watts especially with an RTA.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Imho vaping at over 100 watts is a complete waste and serves no purpose. I can get sufficient clouds at 60 watts and fog a whole room rather quickly by myself.

Also you're not using batteries per say, those things are completely different.
Just my :2c:
Only a waste for you... :facepalm: and you might want to go look up what a LiPo cell is...

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Also you're not using batteries per say, those things are completely different.
Actually, they are the same thing. They are both lithium ion batteries, one is in a metallic cylinder and the other is in a plastic pouch.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Only a waste for you... :facepalm: and you might want to go look up what a LiPo cell is...
you kinda missed the whole point, 300 watts is useless nothing you say can proove me otherwise lol
Also don't know every term in english and lipos are useless to me and i feel no need to learn about them.

• Agree
Reactions: Electrodave

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
you kinda missed the whole point, 300 watts is useless nothing you say can proove me otherwise lol
Also don't know every term in english and lipos are useless to me and i feel no need to learn about them.
Just because you don't like it don't make it useless.
I don't eat salads, but that don't make em useless (my food loves the stuff).

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Just because you don't like it don't make it useless.
I don't eat salads, but that don't make em useless (my food loves the stuff).
Still no ways of how this is useful though.

I didn't say everyone was a ******** for using them, i called my 2 cents and y'all are like an angry mobs.
You don't like different opinions ? Too bad for you.

Robert B

Feb 20, 2020
it was a 3x24g/36 3 coils 6 wraps 5.5mm id. and yes 370w. I dont really care about the opinions on the wattage im vaping. Its my mod, ill do what makes me happy. Now as far as lipo safety, a lipo is safer than a liion battery a lipo will not explode. It simply catches fire. I didnt post this to start a debate on the wattage I use.

and Lipo is different than metal encased batteries. One is LI-Ion and the other is Lipo... ie Lithium Polymer. They do make Lipo Batteries encased in metal, but what we use is Lithium Ion

I switched the build to 3x26ga/36 5.5 mm id I am now running at 200w. I will go back to 300+ once I figure out how to make that big of a coil while keeping the ohm at .3ohm per coil

And one more thing I use lipo for years in racing rc cars. if they are safe enough for that with all the dings and etc they should be safe enough to vape on.

QcVaper just cause you are happy with 100w that doesnt mean everyone will be. You should be encouraging people to try different things, not saying they are stupid if they do, or its a waste. cause its not a waste to me its what I enjoy.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Robert B

No comment on your preferred wattage. As long as you understand your cells limits, and use them within said limits, then I have no problem with high wattage vaping. What ever keeps you off the stinkies all while keeping your face intact.

Lipo can and do explode. It is not safer than a typical cylindrical Li Ion cell, both possess their own levels of risks. A cylindrical cell can use the same chemistry (LCO) as a Lipo but not exclusive to. There are other “safer” chemistries. I would suggest you watch the below video.

RC cars must also follow the same safety practices as vapers. Over draw/charge a cell or Lipo, and bad things can happen. Same can be said about dents/dings. It may look ok on the outside, but what damage has been done internally. The Samsung Note 7 used a Lipo battery. Original cause for the phones blowing up (not just catching fire) was too little tolerance between the battery and the case which was crushing one corner of the cell causing an internal short between the Anode and Cathode.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
@Robert B It's all good, you vape the way you like. I always wanted to get a 3 or 4S for my DIY PWM mod but never got around to it. I do love the vape that a PWM mod gives though. :thumbs:

And some people just like to pop into a thread to stir the pot with their "unbiased" opinion of how others vape... Drop into any of the mech threads sometime, always entertainment in those. :lol: :lol: :lol:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
it was a 3x24g/36 3 coils 6 wraps 5.5mm id. and yes 370w. I dont really care about the opinions on the wattage im vaping. Its my mod, ill do what makes me happy. Now as far as lipo safety, a lipo is safer than a liion battery a lipo will not explode. It simply catches fire. I didnt post this to start a debate on the wattage I use.

and Lipo is different than metal encased batteries. One is LI-Ion and the other is Lipo... ie Lithium Polymer. They do make Lipo Batteries encased in metal, but what we use is Lithium Ion

I switched the build to 3x26ga/36 5.5 mm id I am now running at 200w. I will go back to 300+ once I figure out how to make that big of a coil while keeping the ohm at .3ohm per coil

And one more thing I use lipo for years in racing rc cars. if they are safe enough for that with all the dings and etc they should be safe enough to vape on.

QcVaper just cause you are happy with 100w that doesnt mean everyone will be. You should be encouraging people to try different things, not saying they are stupid if they do, or its a waste. cause its not a waste to me its what I enjoy.
I don’t have a problem with the wattage you vape at I just thought it may have been temperature because 370 is lots of watts. No comment on your power source because I almost know enough about batteries to be dangerous. So yea I wasn’t knocking the watts you choose to vape at, I’ve never vaped that high of a wattage so I certainly can’t criticize someone for doing something I’ve never even experienced myself. I was just curious and wanted to verify what you were saying is what you meant and then find out what coils you are punishing with 370 watts. Best of luck to you and your coil punishing ways.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Any battery that shuttles lithium ions back and forth is a lithium ion battery. The polymer from lithium polymer batteries is referring to the polymer casing it is housed in. Both are 100% lithium ion batteries. I have used both styles of lithium batteries for years now in various hobbies such as RC, airsoft, motorized scooters, and some custom work. And I have had li-pos blow up beside my face before, and in the airsoft guns of my teammates a couple times. They can be more dangerous than the round metal cells because they are way more susceptible to drop damage and rough handling.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

U tell'um Robert!
    giphy-3.gif

Robert B

Feb 20, 2020
    [/QUOTE]
    I don’t have a problem with the wattage you vape at I just thought it may have been temperature because 370 is lots of watts. No comment on your power source because I almost know enough about batteries to be dangerous. So yea I wasn’t knocking the watts you choose to vape at, I’ve never vaped that high of a wattage so I certainly can’t criticize someone for doing something I’ve never even experienced myself. I was just curious and wanted to verify what you were saying is what you meant and then find out what coils you are punishing with 370 watts. Best of luck to you and your coil punishing ways.

Oh, the wattage comment was not fo you brother. it was for qcvaper

• Informative
    Reactions: madstabber

Robert B

Feb 20, 2020
    Any battery that shuttles lithium ions back and forth is a lithium ion battery. The polymer from lithium polymer batteries is referring to the polymer casing it is housed in. Both are 100% lithium ion batteries. I have used both styles of lithium batteries for years now in various hobbies such as RC, airsoft, motorized scooters, and some custom work. And I have had li-pos blow up beside my face before, and in the airsoft guns of my teammates a couple times. They can be more dangerous than the round metal cells because they are way more susceptible to drop damage and rough handling.

The history of lithium polymer batteries dates back to the 1970s. Their first design included a dry solid polymer electrolyte similar to a plastic film. Therefore, this type of battery can achieve a very thin design while still maintaining a relatively good battery life. In addition, lithium polymer batteries are very light and have a higher level of safety. However, these batteries are more expensiveto manufacture and have a lower energy density than lithium ion batteries.

1_large.png

Lithium-ion batteries began to develop in 1912. However, they were not popular until they were adopted by Sony in 1991. Lithium-ion batteries have high energy density and are less expensive than lithium polymer batteries. In addition, they do not need to be activated for the first time and have a low self-discharge rate. However, lithium-ion batteries do age, and after a while, the ions in the battery lose their ability to produce maximum energy - Even when not in use.

The following analysis of the difference between lithium-ion batteries and polymer lithium batteries from several aspects:

First, the raw materials are different

The raw material of the lithium ion battery is an electrolyte (liquid or colloid); the raw material of the polymer lithium battery is an electrolyte having a polymer electrolyte (solid or colloidal) and an organic electrolyte.

Second, different shaping method

The polymer battery can be thinned, arbitrarily aread, and arbitrarily shaped. It can make into a thin battery: with a capacity of 3.6V400mAh and thickness of 0.5mm. It can also be bent and deformed: the polymer battery can be bent up to about 90° because the electrolyte can be solid in a colloidal state rather than a liquid state.

The lithium battery is an aluminum shell battery, the electrolyte is liquid, and the outer packaging material is an aluminum shell as a secondary package, The electrolyte is contained, and it is not easy to make into other shapes.

On this basis, lithium polymer batteries have some advantages over lithium ion batteries.

1. Small thickness, can be made thinner, can be less than 1mm.

1. Light weight, 40% lighter than the same capacity of steel shell lithium battery, 20% lighter than aluminum shell battery,

1. High power: Due to the structural characteristics of the battery, it is easy to produce products that can discharge 10C, 20C.

Third, the manufacturing process is different

The thinner the polymer battery, the better the production. The thicker the lithium battery, the better the production, which makes the lithium polymer battery more expandable in the field of application. Shapes can be customized - tailored to customer needs, make full use of space, increase capacity, and can quickly convert models, responding quickly to market demand.

Fourth, the capacity

The lithium polymer battery has a large capacity, and the capacity of the lithium-shell battery of the same size is 10% to 15% higher. Due to the better heat dissipation and easy realization of packaging, batteries with a capacity of more than 10Ah are not very difficult for polymer lithium-ion batteries. At present, large-capacity batteries of 30Ah or more do not require special structure and packaging design. Therefore, the development of thin batteries and large capacity batteries is a breakthrough for lithium polymer batteries.

Fifth, different aspects of security

Lithium-ion batteries are easy to explode in high temperature and high pressure environments; lithium polymer batteries has a aluminum plastic film as the outer casing, no battery leakage problem, and the battery contain the colloidal solid instead of liquid electrolyte inside,so even if the liquid is very hot, it would not explode.

Sixth, the battery voltage is different

Since the polymer battery is made of a polymer material, it can be made into a multi-layer combination in the battery cell to achieve a high voltage, and the battery cell has a nominal capacity of 3.6V. To achieve a high voltage in practical use, multiple The cells are connected in series to form the ideal high voltage working platform.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    The polymer from lithium polymer batteries is referring to the polymer casing it is housed in.
    I'm no expert, but that's not true... there are some polymer layers inside. Watched a documentary about batteries (mostly relating to electric cars) and they explain this. I'll try to find it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread