friends dont let friends kayfun

Status
Not open for further replies.

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
so whats the deal with the kayfun? i have one and absolutely hate it. ive rebuilt it hundreds of times and honestly it just isnt for me. the small chamber makes it harsh and the airflow sucks. flavor is meh nothing im extremely impressed with, i get the same from other devices. now i understand some people will say im building it wrong but im pretty sure ive done it right. ive experimented with various ohms ranges between 1 and 2 ohms, i keep the coil lifted away from the airflow, ive centered the coil, ive tried various wicking materials, various juices, ive even taken it apart cleaned it out and opened the airflow. still nothing. ive had this thing for about 4 to 5 months and honestly i just dont understand the hype. does anyone else feel this way? ive ordered a fogger v4 in hopes to replace the kayfun as i need a tank style atomizer for driving.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I wrapped a 1ohm spaced coil on mine with 30ga kanthal with a cotton wick running at 12 watts. It dumps out tons of warm smooth vapor, but yea the flavor is a little muted. I use unflavored e-liquid so it's not that big of a deal, but I do notice it.

I've tried various coils and wicks and this is as good as I have made it perform. I do wish the airflow was a little looser. Mine is a Kayfun Nano clone. I thought about drilling out the airhole, but I'm not sure if it would help since the center section where the air comes from can't be widened any.

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
oh yes it is a clone! thats all i use, spending $100 on a piece of metal...no thank you. its just something i bought on focalecig because it was only $20 so no big deal if i liked it or not. i didnt know that different cloned kayfuns provided a different vape i figured it was all primarily the same. did you drill out the holes yourself? if so please teach me your ways. that was the next step i was going to take to see if i can make a change. i want so desperately to like this thing. here maybe i can find you a link to the one i bought. also andria welcome back to one of my threads you keep popping up! its nice to see a familiar face =]

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
Careful with the Fogger, I got a version 4.1 and for the first 4 days I went back and forth to my B&M since everything seized up, finally got everything apart...sort of because I got a brand new chimney for it as a replacement luckily, now it's just been sitting for about a week, since I'm scared of having it seize up again.

what do you mean it seized up? this is the one i bought, i also share a little bit of fear when it comes to the fogger, look how tiny this chimney is. i couldnt order the one with a bigger chamber as its never in stock >.>

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1772903

im not sure what version this is. it says 4.0 however ive herd that all of them say 4.0 until they made the 4.4 also the one ive bought has various features that arent from 4.0?

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
what do you mean it seized up? this is the one i bought, i also share a little bit of fear when it comes to the fogger, look how tiny this chimney is. i couldnt order the one with a bigger chamber as its never in stock >.>

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1772903

im not sure what version this is. it says 4.0 however ive herd that all of them say 4.0 until they made the 4.4 also the one ive bought has various features that arent from 4.0?

Well I bought the non clone version, not that it makes a difference, since I later found out that the company that makes it is a clone company, and read there products are crap. First off the threading is a joke, if you don't completely baby it you can easily cross thread it, and probably if you over tighten the top cap or the deck you can over tighten the chimney and that 2 piece chimney will become 1 piece. I had the 2 piece chimney get stuck together, and the whole chimney get stuck to the base and the airflow ring get stuck in the closed position. I actually started a thread trying top get help, and other people had some of the same issues.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
oh yes it is a clone! thats all i use, spending $100 on a piece of metal...no thank you. its just something i bought on focalecig because it was only $20 so no big deal if i liked it or not. i didnt know that different cloned kayfuns provided a different vape i figured it was all primarily the same. did you drill out the holes yourself? if so please teach me your ways. that was the next step i was going to take to see if i can make a change. i want so desperately to like this thing. here maybe i can find you a link to the one i bought. also andria welcome back to one of my threads you keep popping up! its nice to see a familiar face =]

Nah, I bought this one -- twice! -- on eBay. The hardware is excellent, and the vendor top-notch, truly above-and-beyond customer service. It's only $29.95 now, was $32.95 when I got mine, but totally worth every penny.

Not surprising that the one you got for $20 was crappy; my crappy one was really dirt cheap too, about $22; it's a clone of a kayfun lite, instead of a kayfun lite plus, and there is about zero air flow. I'm about to disassemble it and see if I can "line up" something or other that may be misaligned, I'm told, and that might fix it. If not, no loss since I'm not using it anyway. Someone told me about a way to make it into a dripper; leaving off the chimney and the top 2 rings, blocking the air hole, and drilling a new airhole in the bottom ring. May try that if I can't "line up" whatever may be misaligned, but instead of one 3/32 hole, I may drill 2 1/16 holes so that if necessary I can block one of them; I don't like a really airy draw at all, prefer a bit of resistance. I don't really care for the dripper I have, a caterpillar, but maybe I'd like one better with a kayfun-type build in it.

Andria

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
oh wow...thanks tayone for sharing. now im afraid this fogger will turn into a nightmare. im just going to change my career path from a radiologist to an engineer, then ill create the perfect tank atomizer. ill show the vaping community it can be done. it seems to me like RBA are all flushed with one problem or another, and the main focus is building a perfect dripper.

also andria, yes mine was also a kayfun lite plus. when i took mine apart in the center post was this strange material, it was almost like plastic and when i tightened it back up i put a needle in the airhole to make sure all the holes lined up and i didnt tighten it too much, well now the center block is a little loose. when tightened all the way so the center bloc doesnt sin it cuts off airflow. great quality control right? however it does work better than it did but it still is not a pleasurable experience at all.

Last edited:

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
oh wow...thanks tayone for sharing. now im afraid this fogger will turn into a nightmare. im just going to change my career path from a radiologist to an engineer, then ill create the perfect tank atomizer. ill show the vaping community it can be done. it seems to me like RBA are all flushed with one problem or another, and the main focus is building a perfect dripper.

also andria, yes mine was also a kayfun lite plus. when i took mine apart in the center post was this strange material, it was almost like plastic and when i tightened it back up i put a needle in the airhole to make sure all the holes lined up and i didnt tighten it too much, well now the center block is a little loose. when tightened all the way so the center bloc doesnt sin it cuts off airflow. great quality control right? however it does work better than it did but it still is not a pleasurable experience at all.

Some people love the fogger, I tried someone else's and it has a much better draw than a kayfun, but not as much flavor, but for me the threading is horrible

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA

Oh yeah.. Different clones will be night and day. I had bought a fasttech KFL and the thing was garbage compared my Ehpro or Authentic. I ended up throwing it away and keeping some parts. I now have three Ehpro KFL+ V2 with dual air holes and I drilled out the center pin and they work great. I use twisted wire at .9 - 1 ohm and the flavor is great and with a Rayon / cellulose wick I never get a dry hit.

This is my experience and it fits what I want out of my vape 90% of the time. The other 10% I use my Stillare dripper.

Newportlocal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
Orange County,Calif.
i did i acually lost the screw. it still sucks lol

Did you try a donut/nest after you put on the chimney. I found I get better vapor production and it lasts longer.
Like this blog post.
E-Cigarette Forum - crxess - Blogs
I use Koh Gen Doh which for me gives less of a cotton taste. Best of luck on your vaping.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Some people can't tell the difference between a budweiser and a coors, others can take a sip of a beer and know what hops and malt were used. Were all different and that's what makes vaping so great, there is probably some gear somewhere that will match you.

But keep in mind your personal experience with the Kayfun doesn't invalidate others (positive) opinions on it.

cthulhufan

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Oh, absolutely the various clones can perform vastly different. My experience with them mimics AndriaD's experience, I have a great Tobeco that is just great and then some other type that gives a worse vape than a CE4.

Reveen

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
South Dakota
I've only had my Kayfun Lite Plus (genuine) for about 2 weeks, but I don't see myself switching atomizers for quite a long time. For me, this thing is perfection.

I've never once experienced any gurgling, dry hits, harsh hits, etc. with my Kayfun. I think results have a lot to do with how you build and how much cotton you use. I watched a few hours of YouTube videos about building on the Kayfun before it arrived, so I had a pretty good idea on how to build a good coil/wick setup.

I'm not saying that you aren't doing things correctly, and I'm not saying that with your unit, your experiences and results aren't valid, but there are reasons why the Kayfun is wildly popular. Your experience doesn't sound like the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread