Friends/Family who haven't prepared ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2016
Florida
Wondering if people have vaping friends/family who haven't prepared for the inevitable restrictions, and how you advise them? Especially those who don't believe it will be a big deal.

My husband's brother is one of these, and to make it worse, he hasn't quite quit cigarettes yet. The best we've been able to do is to talk him into getting a couple of liters of nicotine, and he doesn't even DIY.

As well, I have a friend who has quit smoking 3 years ago using vaping, but she doesn't think she needs to stock up. The most I've been able to do is start her on DIY. But she has a sad stock of anything.

I'm pretty sure that my husband and I are well stocked, but just for the two of us. These people are going to look to us if the worst happens, and we won't be able to help. Can anyone else relate? If so, what are your thoughts?

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
either you and your husband prepare to drop your nic levels to allow you to support them,,, or you simply tell them you dont have enough to support more than the 2 of you. treat it like cash,, and as if you only have a fast food job.--you simply dont have it to lend/share. if they refuse to help themselves it cannot become your burden to save them. i know that sounds harsh,, but for some reason they are not listening to you.......they need to value your input a little more.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Wondering if people have vaping friends/family who haven't prepared for the inevitable restrictions, and how you advise them? Especially those who don't believe it will be a big deal.

My husband's brother is one of these, and to make it worse, he hasn't quite quit cigarettes yet. The best we've been able to do is to talk him into getting a couple of liters of nicotine, and he doesn't even DIY.

As well, I have a friend who has quit smoking 3 years ago using vaping, but she doesn't think she needs to stock up. The most I've been able to do is start her on DIY. But she has a sad stock of anything.

I'm pretty sure that my husband and I are well stocked, but just for the two of us. These people are going to look to us if the worst happens, and we won't be able to help. Can anyone else relate? If so, what are your thoughts?
You've already done what you thought was the right thing. I wouldn't push it any more. No one likes to be nagged.

I don't currently see a reason for immediate stock-up either. I'm aware of the situation more than most, i follow the developments more than most, both on the federal and local level, and have decided not to stock up. My life, my decision, and i will suffer the consequences if i'm wrong. I know i wouldn't be happy if my sister in law tried to impose her views on me. To each their own.

Just another point of view :)

Last edited:

tony46113

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2016
Buy more and sell it to them for quadruple (or more) the price, if things work out that way. Lol ... I keep saying that my only concern is nicotine and I will keep saying it over and over.
I'm concerned that I've purchased so much nicotine, that by the time I get around to using it or selling it, it won't be good. Yet, I have not purchased as much as some others that I've heard of.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
We have neighbor who we walk the dogs with every night. She tried vaping a year back. She insisted on using zero nic unflavored juice, for reasons so goofy they aren't worth repeating. After a week she said she wasn't doing it any more because the Ego kit she got was broken. I took it home and cleaned all the juice out of the top of the battery and put in a new head and gave it back to her. She gave up for good a few days later.

Last week she had hip replacement surgery. She's staying with her sister and we are looking after her dogs. Over the weekend she had a bad turn. She has AFIB and had an attack of that. When she got to the emergency room they diagnosed her with COPD and sent her home with oxygen. They didn't tell her anything so she thought she was on oxygen for the rest of her life. I'm pretty sure you don't go from nothing to severe COPD overnight, I know a bit since I have it myself. It probably just got exacerbated from the surgery and the meds.

Still she has COPD. She's scared enough that she wants to start vaping to get off the cigs. I'm going to set her up with a Spinner and a PT mini and supply her with appropriate juice. I guess I'll be replacing her coils and servicing the gear for her.

A lot of us are going to be in this position as time goes by. Family or friends who really need help. I've got a decent handful of old Spinners and a box of PT minis. I can handle getting a few people started. And enough nic to keep them juiced up indefinitely.

But there are limits. I won't run out of nic. I can give this lady a Spinner and a tank and juice, but what happens when the Spinner dies or she breaks the tank? There's some time left to try to persuade her to buy some hardware if she gets off on vaping, you can still get hardware in Indiana for now. I've helped a few people get started over the last year. But what about the next one a couple of years from now. There aren't many people who I would be willing to give one of my 3 Provaris to. I don't have an unlimited supply of PT's and my Spinners won't be around forever.

At some point we will have to pull up the ladder and let it go. It's going to be hard having to say no.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Like Mick, I'm in Indiana, and we're already feeling a bit of squeeze because of legislation that can limit B&Ms from making their own juice.

Unlike Mick, I'm pretty well on my own, and I don't have anyone close to me who vapes. I have sufficient supplies to tide me over in case the worst comes to pass. Should I have? I don't know, but I don't want to be caught with my pants down.

We're all adults and can make our own decisions, even if that means choosing whether or not to lend another a hand.

Do what you feel is right....

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle

Grasshopper and the Ant scenario, you've done your part. They're adults......

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I give stuff away all the time and tell people that vape to buy NIC.

The BreSha gravy train stops when (hopefully IF) vape gear and NIC befome scarce though. I have enough for me and my wife for 20-30 years, but I aint a vape charity or retail store last time I checked. ;)

tony46113

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2016
I give stuff away all the time and tell people that vape to buy NIC.

The BreSha gravy train stops when (hopefully IF) vape gear and NIC befome scarce though. I have enough for me and my wife for 20-30 years, but I aint a vape charity or retail store last time I checked. ;)

But will that nicotine still be good (not tasting like pepper) in 20-30 years? I'm nervous about that on my current 7-10 year supply. The only true and tried that I've seen on this forum has been 6-7 years. I guess we will see, but I'm in your boat. It doesn't cost so much that a person can't afford to lose the money that it costs to freeze that much nicotine, even if it does go bad.

tony46113

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2016
Like Mick, I'm in Indiana, and we're already feeling a bit of squeeze because of legislation that can limit B&Ms from making their own juice.

I'm in Indiana too. I don't feel the squeeze though. DIY pretty much limits the Indiana law from screwing us over totally. I do see lots of out of state juice makers who are not willing to ship here anymore though. That doesn't mean the Indiana law is going to keep us off cigarettes.

From a small business standpoint, it's pretty bad in Indiana at the moment for those who are/were banking on keeping their doors open with house juice.

Reactions: DingerCPA

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
But will that nicotine still be good (not tasting like pepper) in 20-30 years? I'm nervous about that on my current 7-10 year supply. The only true and tried that I've seen on this forum has been 6-7 years. I guess we will see, but I'm in your boat. It doesn't cost so much that a person can't afford to lose the money that it costs to freeze that much nicotine, even if it does go bad.
That is the million dollar question and I am nervous about the longitivity as well.

I have 4l of NIC which cost me about $300 in the freezer. If it tastes terrible in 10 years and I have to toss it all, I still saved a fortune over smoking, buying cigalikes or paying huge taxes on juice.

tony46113

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2016
I gots PG and VG and flavorings in my freezer as well.

Is that any different than freezing cotton? Why would you stockpile and freeze anything that will be readily available until the end of time? The FDA isn't out to stop people from baking cakes or making pillows.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Is that any different than freezing cotton? Why would you stockpile and freeze anything that will be readily available until the end of time? The FDA isn't out to stop people from baking cakes or making pillows.
Just not taking chances.
Will feel nice to not have to buy anything for years and years...

And all my stockpiling cost less than 2/3 of a years smoking costs. And that includes all my vaping costs for the last 1.5 years. And Cigs are under $40/carton here.
I have been picking up good deals and such for my stockpile for the last year or more.
have to buy some batteries in a few years but other than that....

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
I've learned through the years that unless a person invest their own money and time in switching to vaping they aren't going to stick with it :( I'll answer questions any time of day or night for as long as a person has questions, but the $ investment has to be theirs.

I will give advise to others about what I think the deeming is going to mean to our vaping future but the choice of what to do with my advice rest totally on the other person. If they choose not to stock up that's entirely their own decision. My stash is for myself and my grandson, who will be reimbursing me as he needs his stash through the coming years.

On the other hand, anyone who created a stash but still finds themselves in need of something I have that I can spare because, well, stuff happens sometimes no matter how well we think we prepared, I will be more then happy to share with if at all possible. :)

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Just like when the zombies come, everyone's on their own.
Safe-House-Animated-2.gif

tony46113

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2016
That is the million dollar question and I am nervous about the longitivity as well.

I have 4l of NIC which cost me about $300 in the freezer. If it tastes terrible in 10 years and I have to toss it all, I still saved a fortune over smoking, buying cigalikes or paying huge taxes on juice.

Agreed! That's exactly my mentality on nicotine at this point. It's not so much of an investment that a person is losing their life savings, if we either (or both) ... don't have to worry about it or it goes bad.

Reactions: DingerCPA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread