From Brain Injury To Success!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben D

Jul 2, 2018
Baltimore
Hey everyone! This post is a bit of a repeat on my first ever message on these forums.

This whole fiasco started a few years ago. I was at work one day and I was helping a customer from behind the counter. I stepped backwards towards the cash register, and that's all I remember until I woke up in the hospital. The doctors said I was lucky to be alive and that I had lost a lot of blood. The owner's daughter was in the basement when I ended up falling into it (she now has severe PTSD from it). The fall was approximately 15ft. Luckily, there was another worker from Serbia working with me that day and he rushed into the basement and stopped the bleeding. Stefan, the Serbian guy, told me I was talking about eating the fudge that we were selling and that I had no idea where we were. He probably stopped me from bleeding out completely. While I was in the hospital, doctors were saying that I fractured my spine in two places and that I have slight brain damage from the fall. The months after the fall were awful. My mental health was going down the tube quickly. My parents had no idea what to do, so they got me a medical card to test out how it might help me with my depression and anxiety. That first experience of smoking just led to worse things. I was hospitalized twice after my family and I moved to Maryland. The psychiatric wards I went to sucked. Things still didn't get better, so we cut the lease short on our house and became homeless. I was so bad during this time, that I was brought to the world-known hospital: Johns Hopkins. I stayed in the schizo service for a month and started to get ECT. ECT was something that ended up giving me PTSD because of how brutal it can be. That didn't work after a while, so I went inpatient again, but this time to the Young Adult unit. I stayed there for 2 months. When I got out in December 2017, I felt better. Until a month later. Things started getting worse and I was admitted into the Young Adult service again. After crazy med changes, I felt like the old me! Fast forward several months, and here I am! I haven't been suicidal in months and I am so happy and confident.

Now, as I was going through outpatient treatment, I told my psychiatrist that I had been smoking cigars and cigarettes weekly because I craved that "oral fixation". We decided that I should start vaping again. It worked! It's been a couple months since my last real tobacco product!

I apologize about making this post all about me, but I overcame some heavy crap and vaping helped some of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread