FT kayfun 3.1 es clone with a nasty taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rucni

ECF Veteran
let me start off by saying i knew going into this that the kayfun needed to be cleaned. and it has been clean with vodka and rubbing alcohol and near boiling water. but my vape is still not tasting right, down right nasty at times. i am using a 1.5ohm and 2.1ohm coil, 1.5 was 3 strands of 32gauge kanthal twisted together. the 2.1 ohm is just 2 strands twisted together. the juice is the same that i have been vaping for month in a pt2 pt3 and pt with homemade coils. wicks have all been cotton. i have vaped the pt's and kayfun on both my vamo v3 and hammer mod clone from FT. i am at a loss and looking for help.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
let me start off by saying i knew going into this that the kayfun needed to be cleaned. and it has been clean with vodka and rubbing alcohol and near boiling water. but my vape is still not tasting right, down right nasty at times. i am using a 1.5ohm and 2.1ohm coil, 1.5 was 3 strands of 32gauge kanthal twisted together. the 2.1 ohm is just 2 strands twisted together. the juice is the same that i have been vaping for month in a pt2 pt3 and pt with homemade coils. wicks have all been cotton. i have vaped the pt's and kayfun on both my vamo v3 and hammer mod clone from FT. i am at a loss and looking for help.

I have this same unit. I too experience this awful taste. It took 3 cleanings to get it out. It seems this particular model is loaded with machine oil from manufacture. All I can say is clean clean clean! It finally came out.

DejayRezme

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    The cleaning of clones is a real PITA! :mad: What is really the "ultimate" method? The parts where never a problem, only the inner airways inside of the base.

I soaked in dish soap, all purpose cleaner, boiled it in hot water. It took about 3 days of repeated cleaning and soaking... the only things I haven't tried is alcohol and ultrasonic bath. Is there some cleaning fluid that works REALLY WELL, something that I can just rinse the base, fill up it's airways, soak a bit and then be done of any trace of the "metallic" taste? Something that works in one go? I'm tired of building a new clone up and then after all is filled up still noticing a really faint lingering metallic taste :/

Thanks.

Credo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2011
    MS
    The cleaning of clones is a real PITA! :mad: What is really the "ultimate" method? The parts where never a problem, only the inner airways inside of the base.

I soaked in dish soap, all purpose cleaner, boiled it in hot water. It took about 3 days of repeated cleaning and soaking... the only things I haven't tried is alcohol and ultrasonic bath. Is there some cleaning fluid that works REALLY WELL, something that I can just rinse the base, fill up it's airways, soak a bit and then be done of any trace of the "metallic" taste? Something that works in one go? I'm tired of building a new clone up and then after all is filled up still noticing a really faint lingering metallic taste :/

Thanks.

Coca Cola worked well for me.
    It's bubbly and acidic so that should encourage oils and filings trapped in threads or tiny spaces get worked loose.
    I take mine all apart...then I let the parts soak several hours.

On models with adjustable air flow...take out the adjustment screw too (that, along with its threading can trap lots of machine oil and even tiny metal filings).

Toothpaste is basically better tasting soap with fluoride and such added...I use that with a soft tooth brush to get any sugar left behind from the cola then rinse well. If you have some of the tiny brushes (or as MrPlink suggested, pipe cleaners) for cleaning between teeth those are great for making sure the air holes are good and clean.

Finally, using a q-tip I give the insides all a coat of my favorite e-liquid or flavorless PG.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    The Oort Cloud
    If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner then that would be your best method.

I own one for speed steeping my ejuices. I use 120 F hot water and a few drops of DAWN dishwashing liquid. It cuts grease like a charm.
    Run the UC for about 30 minutes and it will remove ALL traces of machine oil and any fine machining metal shavings and such.

If you don't have a UC then just use the hottest tap water you can get and some Dawn. About 1 quart of water and about 6-7 drops of DAWN. Agitate it well and let sit for at least 30 minutes then agitate again and rinse thoroughly with clean hot water. That should eliminate nearly all machining oil and shavings. Not a good as an ultrasonic cleaner, but the next best method IMHO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread